BIvy/route help near Masham, Yorkshire

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

BIvy/route help near Masham, Yorkshire

Post by benp1 »

I'm on holiday in Masham with my family next week

I'm hoping to nip out for a cheeky bivy but I'll be on the brompton rather than a proper bike

Is there anywhere up there that's local, possibly within a short car hop away (with safe parking), where I can bivy somewhere relatively remote and quiet, yet still be near a road or very mild gravel track (very mild, it's not comfy on anything rough and only has 16 inch wheels.

I'll only go out if the weather is nice as i'll probably only bring a water resistant bivy bag, it's not dead set I'm going anyway so don't want to clog up the car with loads of kit. I'll just take basic sleeping kit

Only have 3 little gears so can't manage any serious climbs on the bike either!

Any ideas?
whitestone

Re: BIvy/route help near Masham, Yorkshire

Post by whitestone »

Drive up to Malham Tarn http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=389412 ... &A=Y&Z=120 and there's a few options from there. Malham House is a field study centre rather than a domestic property BTW. There's spots by the outflow of the tarn but also along the track below Great Close Scar.

If you want somewhere a little further from the road then park here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=388784 ... &A=Y&Z=120 and head west on to the Settle Loop. A bit rougher under wheel and a bit hillier. The BW between the two parking spots is quiet and out of site for a good part of its length.

Last option in that area is to park at Street Gate http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=390446 ... &A=Y&Z=120 and either head along Mastiles Lane (mildly rocky in places) or take the BW towards Arncliffe Cote (grassy but with a ford).

You might also have to chose your spot carefully as cattle often graze up there. Just chose a different field if it's occupied.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chew

Post by Chew »

If your in Masham and the weather is nice, id seriously think about heading into the Nidderdale Valley.

Remote, picturesque, plenty of places for the night and rideable from the door.

From Masham, head over to Leigthon down to Lofthouse and then up the valley to Scar House reservoir. In the morning you can spin down the valley to Patley Bridge, for breakfast, before heading home.

They'll be a bit of climbing involved, but it'll be worth it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bob, thanks, I was having a look through your suggestions but got sidetracked with work (while at work to be fair... :grin: )

Chew, thanks, something ridable locally sounds good. I need to check how much climbing though, my bottom gear is OK for short stints, but any real climbing is a killer
SRS

Post by SRS »

Kirkby Malzeard moor is only a short distance above Masham and very quickly feels remote:

Riding over the moor would drop you down into Nidderdale, as per Chew's suggestion. There's no way out of Nidderdale though without riding up hill.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Disappointingly I didn't take a bike with me. My car was poorly so I used my dad's car, which is smaller than mine so I didn't have enough room!

I would have seriously struggled on my little 3 gear Brompton though, it's quite hilly once you get to the Dales! I did the drive out of Pateley Bridge towards the west, blimey that's steep! And long! Would have been ok for pottering around the roads near Masham but it would have been hard work

I'm pleased to say that I did manage to get out for a quick bivy on the only night I could. Slept in the porch of the Masham anglers club hut, got a bit wet when the rain came in but no huge deal. Woke up early as a result and enjoyed sitting by the river. Also managed to do a few walks in the evening round Masham with the dog

I drove down the track to Malham Tarn FSC but we didn't get out as the weather was horrendous at that point. Managed to sneak in a walk in one of the sheepless moors/fields on the way back with the kids and the dog while there was a 20 min break in the weather

Cracking part of the world, would like to head back with a real bike
SRS

Post by SRS »

Glad you had a good time Ben.

The steepest way out of Pateley Bridge is Old Church Lane, which takes out back over the moor to Kirky Malzeard. It's one of several good climbs to do in the area if you do come back with your real bike.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I was very impressed with how cycling friendly the whole place is

We were on our way back to Masham from Skipton. It was Thursday night, dark, raining and generally quite miserable. We were pootling up a little B road and came across a group of roadies out for a ride. Quite a lot of them!

They weren't brilliantly lit but didn't look massively well dressed for the weather, but it was impressive nonetheless

I'd love to head back again, cracking part of the world