Deeside Trail

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

adamwwallace

Re: Deeside Trail

Post by adamwwallace »

So I did the route at the weekend and it was really good to put it all together. It's pretty challenging all at once and great if you like technical riding - there are 9 good length 2km+ singletrack descents (some forestry near Lumphanan has unfortunately written one off) and a fair bit of climbing.

Left Banchory at bit late at 9am and so was a bit late starting and then spent too long having a beer and fish and chips in Braemar....it meant that I ended up going up past White Bridge quite late and did the descent into Glen Lui in the dark which was a bit of a challenge. Arrived at Bob Scott's at 11pm so about 14h which would have in reality been soon if all done in daylight. Left at 8.30am (whisky with some walkers didn't help an early start) and so missed the shop at Tarland by about 30 mins as it closes at 2pm on Sundays. Fortunately I had enough food for the rest of the day and made it to Banchory about 9pm. 36h 14mins for a first record, one I expect and hope is beaten soon.

The White bridge to Derry Lodge section isn't the crux as such bit it is pretty hard work if it's wet (which is most of the year). The descent into Glen Lui is great though so on balance that and the views into the Lairig Ghru add a lot to the route. However it may not be ideal, especially when there's less daylight so I've made a note in the route description that I'll accept times that miss it by going up from Linn of Dee instead but will mark them as having done so.

I think that the group start this year will miss it as it'll be getting dark more like 9pm so it would mean a very early start to make it round in daylight. I'm planning the group start to be in May or June next year which should mean it's fine to do the whole route.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Brill. I've been thinking about doing this but I didn't want to do so before you did it yourself (plus I'm expecting there's now a definitive GPX track :-) )

I've ridden the White Bridge section in the past and reckoned it should be at least 50% rideable even when wet? The Glen Lui section that comes next is certainly a cracker.
adamwwallace

Post by adamwwallace »

I've updated the GPX but it hasn't changed much, just around Lumphanan for a mile or so.

I had done the white bridge to derry lodge section on one off ride before but it's a different matter after a full day of riding. It's easy to burn a lot of energy trying to ride some of the really soft bits as it was pretty stop start for me. The gloop also ground a lot of brake pad off which wasn't helpful. As you say the descent is great though and it more than makes up for it.