Overshoes that will withstand hike-a-bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Overshoes that will withstand hike-a-bike

Post by fatbikephil »

I suspect the answer to this is no and my research so far backs this up. however has anyone encountered a pair of overshoes that will last for more than 100m of hike a bike before falling apart?

For commuting and road riding I've used planet X neoprene overshoes to good effect as the velcro fastening doesn't break and they are cheap. They tend to fall apart after two seasons however and thats just from the walk between the bike shed and the office. I once tried Endura MT500s and like all endura stuff, whilst on the face of it looked good, in reality are crap - they fell apart afer 2 months of road commuting and walking between the bikeshed and the office....

I suffer from cold feet and go to great lengths to keep them dry. To date I've used goretex boots, sealskin socks and gaitors but recently for summer I've been using lighter shoes (Shimanto MT 54s) and would still like something that is going to keep the rain out.

Tah
Phil
ianfitz

Re: Overshoes that will withstand hike-a-bike

Post by ianfitz »

Have you tried neoprene socks? They were always my default option for winter fell running. I like then on the bike too in winter for the reasons you mention.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

+1 to socks. I use some Gore waterproof ones, they are great.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A tricky one this since "waterproofing" a shoe may prevent ingress through the material but there's a bloody great hole at the top to let your foot (and water) in :???: Also, once the water is inside your shoe it can't get out. This is one reason why fell running shoes (as an example) aren't waterproof.

As Ian says, neoprene socks, which work on the wet-suit principle, are fine but you've also got to stop grit and stones getting in to your shoes as they will just wear holes in the socks and then you get a flow of water which is not what you want. I'd add gaitors, something like these https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/produ ... ter-32.htm
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

htrider wrote:I I once tried Endura MT500s and like all endura stuff, whilst on the face of it looked good, in reality are crap - they fell apart afer 2 months of road commuting and walking between the bikeshed and the office....
Also my experience of Endura!

I tried the neoprene socks, and they are much the same warmth as thick wool. I might try pre-heating them with hot water next time.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thanks all
I'll look at neoprene socks then but I fear the horrible smell after a few days!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

htrider wrote:Thanks all
I'll look at neoprene socks then but I fear the horrible smell after a few days!
I find the smell keeps the midges away. Works really well as when I wear the socks there are never any midges at all.
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
htrider wrote:I I once tried Endura MT500s and like all endura stuff, whilst on the face of it looked good, in reality are crap - they fell apart afer 2 months of road commuting and walking between the bikeshed and the office....
Also my experience of Endura!

I tried the neoprene socks, and they are much the same warmth as thick wool. I might try pre-heating them with hot water next time.
My experience with Endura is that I returned a 18 month old Windchill jacket for repair, because the stitching on the hems of the cuffs and rear pockets was coming apart, and they sent me a brand new updated version back in return .From what I have read on other forums this is pretty standard for Endura.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks all
Wore some on a multi-day trip some years back, and the smell of ammonia was something else.

Having said that for a day ride I'd still use them.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Endura MT500s have been good in my experience (and i push allot) well they stand up allot better than other neoprine ones i have had anyway
Purty

Post by Purty »

Buy some winter boots, they are an investment that will pay you back over several years rather than short overshoe investments.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Already got winter boots but rain runs down your leg and into the boots, which fill up with water resulting in, for me, wet and cold feet. My goretex MT91s work with gaitors and waterproof trousers but for warm weather I want to be able to use my newly aquired MT54's, which aren't remotely waterproof but are light and comfy. When the rain comes on I want a waterproof overshoe that will keep them (and my feet) dry, is long enough to go under overtrousers and as noted will not fall apart if I walk up a rocky path.

As well as keeping my feet warm; keeping my shoes dry (I'm assuming no paddling required) means I can wear them down the pub on longer trips without getting my spare socks soggy....

I suspect I'm asking the impossible but thanks for the input.