Rigid Forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

Rigid Forks

Post by rocklobstercat »

I have been having problems with my suspension fork on my 29er and was thinking about swapping it for a carbon rigid one. I know a lot of people on here have rigid forks fitted to their bikes. I'd be interested in your views of both pros and cons of having rigid forks.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Rigid Forks

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't find any real cons to rigid. This year, I've even taken to coaching on a rigid bike, tends to get me a few sideways looks at first but utimately it helps prove the point that, good riding is more about the rider / technique and less about the bike.

It's unlikely a rigid will be as fast as a hardtail down a steep rocky gully but a hardtail won't be as fast as a 5" travel full susser, which in turn won't be as quick an a 8" travel DH bike. That might mean, we should all be riding 8" travel DH bikes or it might mean that the bike generally isn't the limiting factor in most cases. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I did 29 miles around 3 laps of Llandegla yesterday evening on my carbon rigid forked 29er+ last night and I was missing my Lauf Forks by the last lap.
Even with their 60mm of trail absorbing and a fraction extra weight over a truly rigid fork I'm thinking about investing in another set for this bike.
Maybe the Lauf's have made me soft or maybe at 48 I'm getting too old for rigid, but I won't be rushing to "normal" suspension any time soon
#LoveLauf
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

or maybe at 48 I'm getting too old for rigid
I'd best make the most of the next 3 years :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just moved to a set of Travers Prongs after my suspension forks died. Did my first proper ride with them at the weekend: some bits there's not much difference, others there's a lot.

48? Just wait another decade :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
or maybe at 48 I'm getting too old for rigid
I'd best make the most of the next 3 years :wink:
I've got almost ten years on you and still riding rigid so Stu, you got a while yet :wink: .

Benefits for me are light weight and no service costs plus much lower initial outlay but then biking on a budget makes these things important to me.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

When suspension forks suddenly needed servicing every other ride I didn't buy any more after my last pair of beloved bombers croaked - servicing them involved changing the oil. Once....

I go slower downhill now but that means that downhills last longer!