French tour help

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ben98

French tour help

Post by Ben98 »

So, over the summer my dad and I are going to cycle from Calais to just outside of Geneva, to walk the tour de mont blanc. We are going to cycle on the road, but would like some route advice.
So, any bits of road route between Calais and Geneva which we HAVE to ride? Any places which we HAVE to visit? Hopefully you get my drift.
So, what ya got?
mat_swan

Re: French tour help

Post by mat_swan »

Towards the end I'd recommend heading to Beaune and then down the route des grand vins. Very pretty round there. That should take you to around santenay, then head in to chagny and somewhere round there you can pick up the towpath south towards chalon Sur saone, easy traffic free miles.
jameso

Post by jameso »

The Caps et Marais d'Opale area south of Calais is really nice - plot a route through that area, it's not flat but it is suprisingly picturesque. After that the east area of France is nice, the Avesnois and Ardennes are worth heading east to before heading south to Geneva. The Jura has some amazing scenery also, Cyclist mag did a good feature on that area not too long ago.

I have GPS files from a few rides across the NE of France towards Reims and Epinal direction if of interest, then rode east towards the Black Forest rather than more southward to Geneva though. PM if you want them for reference.

Oh, and maybe read Mat Lamy's book 'Rides of Passage' : )
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I don't know if it's of any use to you, but if you're thinking of camping and using municipal campsites in France I have a .gpx file with the locations of all of them (it's a year or so old so possibly not 100% up to date). Can't help with the route as my French touring has been more westerly.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Pickers, I'd be interested in that file if you're willing?
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Cheers for the help guys, will start trying to put some of it together into a route after my exams. Will see about the GPX files slightly closer to the time, thanks for the offers!
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Pickers, I'd be interested in that file if you're willing?
Yeah no worries. Could you pm me with your email and I'll pop it across tonight.

Edit - Mat - ygm
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike