alternatives to alpkit tapered dryloks.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trail-rat

alternatives to alpkit tapered dryloks.

Post by Trail-rat »

out of stock :(

does anyone else do anything similar or are alpkit not only the go to but the only place ?

Cheers
whitestone

Re: alternatives to alpkit tapered dryloks.

Post by whitestone »

The only ones that I've seen are aimed at sea kayakers and are much bigger. I was looking for a tapered bag around 8 litres in size at the time.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Revelate Terrapin? https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... apinDrybag with air valve. I have an older version with no valve - been good.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Ian

Post by Ian »

Trail-rat wrote:does anyone else do anything similar or are alpkit not only the go to but the only place ?
Not any more :smile:
A large box arrived at the Wildcat Workshop last week containing a box of our very own - and UK made - tapered dry bags :-bd

They're not on the website yet, but the plan is to get the studio shots sorted this weekend.

Stay tuned!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:
Trail-rat wrote:does anyone else do anything similar or are alpkit not only the go to but the only place ?
A large box arrived at the Wildcat Workshop last week containing a box of our very own - and UK made - tapered dry bags :-bd

They're not on the website yet, but the plan is to get the studio shots sorted this weekend.

Stay tuned!
I'd heard they were due Ian. What volume are they? Is there any chance I could get one before (or at) the HT?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:

Stay tuned!
I had thought that there was something missing from your line up :lol: Now it just needs a name ...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Possibly, though we haven't finalised pricing yet.

The Drover version is proper 10 litre capacity (as in fill it with 10 litres of water and roll the top down three times :geek: ), making it bigger than the Alpkit version. The Wayfarer version is 6 litres.

Available in two colours: Sylvester Black or Tweetie Yellow

Weight: 60g.

The HT is the main obstacle to listing them on the website, as from next Thursday, the workshop will be closed for over a week while we all go up to Scotland.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

sounds like ill be selling my airlok to my mate that bought your other tiger then ian :D
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:Possibly, though we haven't finalised pricing yet.

The Drover version is proper 10 litre capacity (as in fill it with 10 litres of water and roll the top down three times :geek: ), making it bigger than the Alpkit version. The Wayfarer version is 6 litres.

Available in two colours: Sylvester Black or Tweetie Yellow

Weight: 60g.

The HT is the main obstacle to listing them on the website, as from next Thursday, the workshop will be closed for over a week while we all go up to Scotland.
I'm happy enough with your current pricing structure to risk what it may cost :-bd
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Ian wrote: The Drover version is proper 10 litre capacity (as in fill it with 10 litres of water and roll the top down three times :geek: ), making it bigger than the Alpkit version. The Wayfarer version is 6 litres.

Bigger than the Alpkit ones? I was just thinking the other day that I have spare capacity in the strap on my 'holster' but I'm limited by available dry bags.

No chance of getting one before next Wednesday though I guess. :roll:
Ian

Post by Ian »

We thought ahead on the straps for that reason :)

There's a size comparison here: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/25655510@N02/26348181074/

If I can get them on the website over the weekend, then, yes, there will be a narrow window of opportunity in the first half of next week.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian, are these available yet?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nearly... They're not in the shop yet, but Beth can sort you out if you drop her an email.
Should be on the web shop next week (been busy writing up my HT experience...)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK, no great rush (until I forget then there will be :oops: )
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I used one for the HT550. They fit perfectly in the tiger (as you'd expect!) which makes them far more solid and quicker to put in too.

I think it is this time saving that allowed me to complete the route in such a short time*

Well worth the money and has retired all my other bags now. No point in using anything else.

*ok, so maybe some other factors influenced that but...
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I used one on the Tuscany trail - it was great. Plenty of room which I didn't fill, when it was rolled down it kept everything very snug - but also meant I had room for extra food when I needed it.

Everything stayed dry inside despite the downpours. . . . And the jet washing . . . Probably not recommended on any wildcat care label but we did resort to blasting all the bikes and bags (and I think Mike and hux even did their legs!).
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

In a very non scientific test

https://flic.kr/p/H6D7kt

The yellow Wildcat tapered bag was turned inside out and hung up against it's 137grams red competitor, both filled were filled with 3 x 750ml's bottles of water at the same time and after an hour and a half the red bag had lost a full 750ml of water while the yellow 60 grams Wildcat tapered bag didn't lose a drop.
Plus also it dried out instantly while the red bag took several hours to dry out
Last edited by JohnClimber on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Are you taking reservations Ian, or are they in stock now? Will have a look online now.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

MIght grab one of these for my smaller loads.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ian, Ive been using an Alpkit tapered bag with my Tiger for ages and it works well. I'll be ordering one of yours when they come in as sounds to me they're a bit larger. But I was wondering whether you had ever considered putting two male clip ends on your tapered dry bags so they could clip directly onto the Tiger? You then only need the top-to-bottom retention strap.

Cheers
Tim
I'm just going outside ...
Ian

Post by Ian »

TheBrownDog wrote:Ian, Ive been using an Alpkit tapered bag with my Tiger for ages and it works well. I'll be ordering one of yours when they come in as sounds to me they're a bit larger. But I was wondering whether you had ever considered putting two male clip ends on your tapered dry bags so they could clip directly onto the Tiger? You then only need the top-to-bottom retention strap.

Cheers
Tim
I ran a prototype like this for a while. It works well, but you need extra webbing on the dry bag so you get adjustment for the size of load. We decided to keep things conventional for now, but wouldn't rule it out for the future.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

jameso wrote:Are you taking reservations Ian, or are they in stock now? Will have a look online now.
They have them james. Email Beth directly to arrange
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks IanF, will do.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yes, emailing Beth is the best route for now.

Juggling various priorities, I've just pulled the trigger on a change of webhost, as I'm tired of things taking soo long to load :|
The site may go down for a short while in the early part of next week, but once it's back all will be well in the world :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Wildcats new dry bag and stock gear blog

https://johnclimber.com/2016/06/10/i-th ... fected-it/