Revelate Harness, or Wildcat, or any other?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Revelate Harness, or Wildcat, or any other?

Post by Teetosugars »

Ok, so I've a sweetroll, but think I'm gonna swap to a harness..
Save me looking like I'm smuggling the worlds longest cigar on my Krampus. :oops:
What should I go for then?
Advice/ opinions/ etc greatly appreciated.
Scattamah

Re: Revelate Harness, or Wildcat, or any other?

Post by Scattamah »

I haven't tried the Wildcat harness, but I can vouch for the Revelate harness being rock solid. Never bounces around. If you're running front suspension, make sure your dry bag is a small diameter so you can get plenty of clearance between the bottom of the harness and your tyre. Increased chamber pressure is also advisable at that point.

Greetz

S.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've got two Wildcat harnesses - the regular sized one and the Fat Lion, which I bought for winter use but seems to have become my go to as it lets me carry more stuff. They are good value and beautifully made - the stitching is perfect. They're pretty easy to fit and very stable on the go. You can also retighten them easily and quickly. A big plus for me is that they're a local company with great customer service/communication and, Ive no doubt if anything should ever go wrong with any of my Wildcat stuff, back up and repairs. Love 'em.
I'm just going outside ...
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I've got a wildcat lion and lioness in great condition I'd consider swapping. Pm me.
burty

Post by burty »

I would say wildcat . :-bd
I don't think there is any more :wink:
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

How about Alpamayo Designs?

Great guys, I met Paul on my travels and have had my hands on several of the prototypes and now production quality stuff.

You might even spot a few of my photos on their homepage ;-)
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I have a wildcat i use on my fat bike it is great - works even with my mavericks. as is their frame bag and seat pack (which works well with my dropper)

it is incompatible with my TD-1 though due to short headtube , 29 inch wheel in a 26 inch fork a short stem with minimal spacers/no rise. - the gap between front wheel and the bars is pretty minimal - even on a large frame

there is no room under the bars for it to keep even an 8litre dry bag off the front wheel - which meant keeping my sleeping bag in was useless so have been using a kanga as the fibreglass rods meant the load could be infront /inline of the bars and i could get a 13 litre bag on the front without tyre contact.

I moved to a sweetroll to make the load longer and thinner

That is bike specific though - do check your bars to front tyre clearance.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Another thumbs up for the wildcat here :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've not heard anyone dislike the Wildcat set up

I have a full Revelate set up, including the Revelate Harness and the Saltyroll. The Saltyroll is certainly wider than the Airlok XT I used to use, but it's much narrower so I get better clearance on my front

I don't think you'd be unhappy with either
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Another shout for the Wildcat harness, no issues with mine.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Another Wildcat.
Don't forget the wrap around is adjustable for 13l & 20l bags or even a Saltyroll. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
bryanwadd

Post by bryanwadd »

Another Wildcat user. Shown here with a 20l dry bag (not stuffed full) and the extra Wildcat bag thingy (whatever it's called) on the front for my camera other bits and pieces.

atk

Post by atk »

As I said the other day - pack less or don't get photographed, cheapest way to solve the problem :p
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Revelate Harness works well for me. Either "long and thin" on the MTB or "short and fat" between the levers on drop bars. Very stable, works well with the Revelate Pocket if you already have one of them too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Had a Wildcat harness for 4 years now and its been bomb proof despite much leaning on straps. I like the way it has straps going from the bars down to the forks as this gives much needed stability and keeps the bag away from the head tube. Strapping these to a unicrown fork isn't great so I use an Ortleib plastic bar widget which bolts onto the fork crown (its meant as a bar extension to mount a light above an ortleib bar bag) and spaces the straps away from the head tube further- also useful if you run a short stem.

The revelate system is OK (I have a sweet roll) but I've made a steel T piece which bolts to the fork crown onto which I attach the head tube strap to keep the bag clear of the head tube and hold the bag solidly.
piotr

Post by piotr »