pre-trip worries?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

pre-trip worries?

Post by HaYWiRe »

Anyone else get that? Packing the bike the day before, route planned, all is good and then there they are....those little demons in the back of your head

Suddenly you go from lean, light and minimal to...oh I better just add this or...what if I get cold...

How do you get around this? I find everytime I plan a trip, and I'm usually pretty good and strict with packing, I still get worried about things and re-evaluate everything im taking.
I've even turned a bikepacking trip into a hiking trip worrying over the bike :oops:

I can't be the only one?

Ofcourse the best part is, and biggest stress relief, is that once in out the door and on the trails nothing else matters. Its done, I'm set, no turning around. All I have to do I pedal.

.......until the next trip :lol:
barney

Re: pre-trip worries?

Post by barney »

I have an absolute paranoia about not taking enough. I always pack too much, see sense and then unpack it followed by a moment of "sheer blind what if panic" and proceed to repack it.

Despite listening to the BB Gods such as Stu and Taylor when they say "if you didn't use it last time you don't need it next time" I can't help myself.

I guess I'm resigned to looking like a round-the-world rider even when I spend a single night out! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Wait for me...
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Lists...strict precise, this goes here and there is no extra space to add more stuff type lists.

Or last minute; argh where's the 'x' packing? Quick strap it to bike, head out door and go; crossing fingers that you've not forgotten anything crucial.

Somehow I manage to often do both of these things at the same time...but it works for me. :roll:
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I'm a list junkie and everything is normally organized to the tee, but sometimes I worry not only taking enough, but taking the right items!

Last minute debating over what jersey (winter weight or summer) and wether I need a packaway jacket or a full blown shell.

Another thing is distance, now I'm not bragging but I'm confident in my ability to pull some big miles in a long day, or my ability to ride day after day, however what I forget is that I certainly cant do BOTH, big miles day after day is way beyond me yet I always over gauge my routes. I'm a good example of "candle that burns brightest" :lol:
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

I always get the panic that I've forgotten something important! For long tours I've made a list now that includes everything to the last time detail. Just try and remember that a passport and credit card will get you out of most trouble!
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

This list is a good starting point:

http://www.bicycletouringpro.com/blog/j ... checklist/
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

On longer rides my main worry is figuring out what point I'm going to get cramp :| :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Food stops can get stressful, I dont cycle the far reaches of the world and wales pretty much always has a pub or corner shop a few miles away, knowing how much to carry and if ill make somewhere before closing worries me.

I see no point in carrying and cooking all my food from day 1, but making sure I have carbs for emergencies always leaves me to overpacking. I guess that comes from habit of being over prepared for "diabetic emergencies"
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

I get homesick on long rides sometimes - so tragically my pre-trip worries are only about whether I will get homesick :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't tend to worry pre-trip, in fact I don't tend to worry much at all.

I can't think of a single item, that if left behind would result in death ... and if I'm not going to die, then just how bad can it be?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I only ever worry about getting to the start. Everything else is gravy.

Greetz

S.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I don't tend to worry pre-trip, in fact I don't tend to worry much at all.

I can't think of a single item, that if left behind would result in death ... and if I'm not going to die, then just how bad can it be?
Many, many years ago I spent the night in a 'survival' bag with just my regular hill clothes. It was so clammy and cold that although I did 'survive' I was wondering at the time if that was a good thing!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: and if I'm not going to die, then just how bad can it be?
You've not been to Keighley have you? :lol:
Matt

Post by Matt »

I have....

I used to live in Silsden
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Fantastic Mr Tickie Bollocks wrote:I have....

I used to live in Silsden
That's dangerously close to the event horizon :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Many, many years ago I spent the night in a 'survival' bag with just my regular hill clothes. It was so clammy and cold that although I did 'survive' I was wondering at the time if that was a good thing!
Yes but to prove my point, you're still here and besides - "I spent the night in a 'survival' bag with just my regular hill clothes" was a silly thing to do :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Yes but to prove my point, you're still here and besides - "I spent the night in a 'survival' bag with just my regular hill clothes" was a silly thing to do :wink:
I'd be worried if I thought I had to it again though! :lol:
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
That just gives me more to worry about, because I can think of several items that if I forget/lose/break, may very well result in death :lol:
(okay, so technically not death, but a coma doesn't sound any more appealing!)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd be worried if I thought I had to it again though! :lol:
Kind of ironic that it was something you took, rather than something you forgot, that tried to kill you :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I freak out all day about finding somewhere decent to sleep / getting set up in a reasonable time. I don't really panic beforehand at all.

Still not a fan of this whole sleeping outdoors thing (Yes, I'm fully aware I'm in the wrong place).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I freak out all day about finding somewhere decent to sleep / getting set up in a reasonable time. I don't really panic beforehand at all.

Still not a fan of this whole sleeping outdoors thing (Yes, I'm fully aware I'm in the wrong place).
I reckon this is a prime reason why more people don't sample the delights. Out of interest Richard, are there any particular aspects you don't get on with or is it the whole thing?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Well, I'm not a fan of setting my stuff up (mostly by virtue of wanting a bigger tarp, or a tarp tent instead)... but it's mostly finding somewhere I can get decent shelter, enough flat ground and think I'm not going to have people wander past or have a farmer get annoyed with me in the morning. I'm OK with bothies, but obviously they're few and far between.

Mostly in my head I guess, but it's definitely what worries me.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Richard G wrote:have people wander past
In my experience this isn't really an issue. Especially if you give them a friendly wave/nod and look 'temporary' in yoir camp.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

More when I'm asleep. I'm constantly on edge for noise. Have never got more than a few hours sleep outdoors.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote: have people wander past or have a farmer get annoyed with me in the morning.
Very few people are up and about in the countryside after dark, the chances of any of them being in the vicinity of where you've setup a bivy is minimal.

Farmers are only going to be around early morning during or just after lambing time or occasionally during hay making. These days many farmers have lambing sheds to lessen their losses due to intemperate weather so perhaps even this is less likely. This has had a curious side effect in the Lake District where ravens have struggled to find carrion because there are fewer/almost no lamb carcases in the fields.

So long as you setup your bivy where you can't see habitation (ergo, they can't see you) or shine bright lights everywhere you aren't going to be pestered by anyone.