Cautionary Tale - very much off topic.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Cautionary Tale - very much off topic.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've been asked to post the following - it's obviously very far removed from the usual topics found here but the author feels that posting might hopefully act as a warning to other parents. Personally, I think it's a brave thing to do and something I hope will go a little way in allowing the author to 'take back some control' of the situation. I'm very proud of the community here, so I'm sure people will accept it in the spirit it was written - Norm.

Our poor little girl has been made a target of 2 paedophiles.
While sitting happily on her tablet playing a game she has been befriended, then last week lured away from the game to download an app called kik, which is a private chat thing like WhatsApp. The 2 perverts have then taken photos of themselves naked and sent them to her asking for the same back. We have told her over and over what evil people there are in the world and to tell us of anything like this ever happened. You like to think they do listen to you but these people have a way of making these poor children do what they want. Lucky for her she didn't do what they asked BUT she never told us, I was lucky to find this out on my normal check of her tablet. We thought that the security she has and the talks we had were enough to stop this kind of thing but no, these people can still get to children. I say children as when the police came 1 of them had sent 2 photos to her (which she never saw due to the police lady having the tablet in her hand) of naked girls to make her follow suit. At the end of the day the photos we saw ARE somebodies daughter, so we would just like people to be aware that no matter what we do as parents, these kind of people can get to children. The police have her tablet now and will be able to retrieve the photos as she deleted them and look at anything she may have sent to them - this is police procedure. The police say it could take 18 months to find them, if they are lucky enough to find them at all. However, in the meantime there ARE children giving being seduced by these perverts and although parents do their best, they can still make their way into your home and into your child's mind.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Re: Cautionary Tale - very much off topic.

Post by benp1 »

Awful

Showed this to the wife and she asked me to share it with her sister too

Very scary
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

A cautionary tale indeed, there are some evil creatures out there.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Grim stuff.

My only advice as a parent is let your kids know asap that paedos are out there on the internet.

I couldn't imagine having the conversations with my parents I've had with my children about the subject.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Very very sad.

Will forward it to beloved ones with kids. Thanks for sharing.

Makes me wanna be outdoors with kids even more. Get them and myself away from such awfulness.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

We had Plod in today to give an assembly. Best thing you can do is have the conversation, however awkward and make sure your children have no doubts you're the person to approach asap. Then let old bill do their bit.
barney

Post by barney »

Very sad, I work in child protection within sport. Often club members and parents almost always assume that these things happen in other parts of the country. Unfortunately that's not the case and these people put themselves in situations where they can gain access to children and the vulnerable.

You'd be amazed at the resistance we get to checks and procedures because they are "an inconvenience".
Wait for me...