Outer Hebrides?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Outer Hebrides?

Post by summittoppler »

Got a bit of a plan in the pipeline for the end of May/early June (weather dependant!). I've always fancied the idea of cycling on the Outer Hebrides, so looking for other people thoughts and places to go whilst I'm there. I was initially thinking of taking the gravel bike and fat bike but it looks like my old man is going to tag along and do some hill walking during my time cycling so I won't have the flexibility I first thought I'd have :/ So Genesis CdF it is, however I'll probably regret it if the sun is out on those gorgeous turquoise beaches :/ Or I could ditch the idea of the CdF and just Fat bike......
ATM I've plotted a fairly leisurely route from Ullapool heading south through the island to Lochboisdale over 4 days. My thoughts for heading south is that it'll make the journey home that bit easier but there's no reason why I can't head north. So, firstly should I head north and hope the winds carry me? I've also plotted the route and tried to take in as much as the smaller roads as possible. I'll be tenting it as well.

Any thoughts/advice greatly received
:smile:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
whitestone

Re: Outer Hebrides?

Post by whitestone »

We've done a bit of road touring and a bit of mountain biking on the Outer Hebrides. The main "problem" with the islands is that traditionally access to communities was by sea so the road network is basically a main road with spurs leading down to the communities/townships. Having said that, even the main road between Tarbert and Stornoway is quiet compared to anywhere down south.

For more interesting riding I'd take the Gold Road south of Tarbert along the eastern coast, but it does miss out on the beaches like Luskentyre on the west coast. There's a great little cafe in Tarbert BTW. Berneray is worth an explore then your next lot of beaches are on South Uist beyond the machair. Brilliant if you have the weather, can be grim if you don't
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've not cycled there but have visited Lewis and Hariris a couple of times on surfing trips, the Atlantic coast has some stunning beaches. The one place I'd recommend is Valtos - between Cliff and bhaltos its on Northern Harris, although its a bit out of the way its my favourite beach in the whole UK...

Nice picnic tables and bivy area just above it too!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Fatbiking the west coast from N uist to Eriskay is worth doing although you will end up a bit beached out by the finish...
The machair track on South uist is a nice route which is doable on a tourer / gravel bike. In Harris the path from Tarbet to Rhenigidale is a cracker and there are other trails worth doing in harris - the old roads shown on the Heritage paths website are a good start. Don't be tempted to do the east coast path from the buttt of Lewis south to the road end....

Tarbert to Rhenigidale

On the beach
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Cheers guys!!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Remembered I had some photos of the trip on flickr. The one is out of the camera jpeg, no messing about at all. taken from the picnic table bivy spot (although I was bivying in my campervan at the time :wink:

ImageDSCF0333smaller by Ian Fitz, on Flickr