Tarp size advice

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

Tarp size advice

Post by HaYWiRe »

So the only remotely lightweight tarp I own is a behemoth of a thing @ 4.5m x 3m (1kg) thought it would make for an ideal hammock shelter but 90% of the time its just far too big to get any usable pitch out of it. Lets not forget trying to fold the damn thing back tidy!

So I'm tempted to get cutting, save having to buy a smaller tarp and I might actually get some use out of this if it was more reasonable size.

What size tends to be most ideal for 1 person (or really cozy couple)?
I'm hoping simply cutting in half to get 2x, 3m x 2.25m tarps and hemming them?
Is there any advantage to tapering one end or does this limit pitching options for little weight saved?

Not expecting heavy use but its better than it gathering dust among a collection of even heavier tarps
whitestone

Re: Tarp size advice

Post by whitestone »

For summer use for one or a cosy two then the Alpkit Rig3.5 isn't too far off, it's 2.5x1.5m. Just how much room you get depends on what kit you have and how close to the ground you pitch it. With lightweight summer kit which includes a mat like the Klymit x-frame which is only a couple of cm deep and the sides of the tarp about 15cm off the ground then you have enough room for two. With a mat like the Exped Winterlite which is 7cm deep and the sides of the tarp on or near to the ground you don't :???: Well you can get in but it's pretty claustrophobic and you'll need a bivy bag to protect your sleeping bag as it will get damp from contact with the tarp.

Another option might be to go the square tarp route with 2.5x2.5m but I've not tried that myself.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like square tarps as they lend themselves very well to half pyramid pitches. 3m x 2.5m would be a fairly big tarp, certainly big enough for 2 if pitched well.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

I use mine folded in half at times, and full 3x2.9 when needed, its good to have the option imo, and only a hundred or so grams more than the smaller version
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Just put it under the knife, hemmed and added tie outs, luckily only needed edge tie outs so no sealing needed,

Now measures at 2.2m x 3m after hem, weighs 536g which is reasonable for a heavier nylon tarp, add 6 pegs and some guys and a 2l drybag and I'm looking at 721g all in
(which reminds me I need to replace my lines with more Zing-it cord)

Not bad for something I've had laying around doing nothing, I've still got the other 2.25 x 3m half I haven't hemmed yet that I could make a second tarp from.

Now just to pitch it sometime...that'll be the test of how straight my edges are when I try a taught pitch :lol: