Charging

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tonyb

Charging

Post by tonyb »

Just been told my Dynamo hub not goner be here before wrt so need something to charge my iPhone ,garmin and maybe my exposure light .

What's best option ?

Cheers
voodoo_simon

Re: Charging

Post by voodoo_simon »

Keep the phone turned off, or at least in flight mode to save battery.

Change your burn times on the exposure to get a longer time with it.

And your garmin? Carry a cable and sit in the pub for a few hours :lol:

I've carried a portable battery in the past, charges things from USB. You can find them on amazonhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=po ... ho5z8sko_b Quite useful when out and about in day to day life too if you're heavy on phone usage etc
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Hmm, that link didn't work. This is what I've used in the past http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00XTXY ... ref=plSrch
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

If you're planning on doing a lot of riding in the dark have a look at the exposure piggy back. I have a portable battery I use for charging my phone but its quite old and heavy. The newer ones are much lighter
benp1

Post by benp1 »

It's only 2 days and 2 nights, and I doubt you'll need your lights much. A portable charger should see you through that

Charge garmin at night (assuming it's an edge), and phone in the day. Lights can be charged up in the morning if you're worried about it

Any USB battery pack should be fine for that, try something with around 5000mAh as a rough guess
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have one of these which has been excellent. Maybe a bit heavy and bulky for your needs but they make smaller ones as well.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-16750m ... s=ravpower
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

On the Braunton 150 I borrowed my wife's Garmin 800 as it has mapping (I've the 510). She noted that using the mapping had a significant effect on battery life. In the event I got about 9hrs or so before it shut down and I needed to recharge it. I don't know how long the unit runs when not using the maps as that was the first time I've used that unit. My 510 usually lasts 12 - 16hrs.

What I don't know is what happens if you enable mapping but then move to a data screen and only occasionally move back to the mapping screen - is the map location still being updated in the background or does it only get updated (with a bit of lag) when you actually display the map?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

Cheers for tips guys ,think I'll bring a camera so I can turn phone of
benp1

Post by benp1 »

tonyb wrote:Cheers for tips guys ,think I'll bring a camera so I can turn phone of
Depending on the phone, the tricks are, in vaguely ascending order of battery saving abilities

turn down brightness
turn off 4G
turn off 3G
turn off data
turn off wireless
turn off bluetooth
turn on airplane mode
turn off phone

when you're phone in on airplane mode it's basically just an MP3 player and camera. The battery will last a LOT longer than it would normally. I'll get at least a couple of days out of an iphone like that. I usually turn it off at night, but I'll usually be taking quite a few pictures)