Cairngorms (or nearby) easter 2016

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

napalmgram

Cairngorms (or nearby) easter 2016

Post by napalmgram »

Morning,
Have managed to wangle 2 free days at the start of the family Easter holiday (Friday and Saturday) to head out on the bike. As it's all a bit last minute and I've not been this side of Scotland on anything other than a road bike thought I'd get some local advice.

First thought was to set off from Aviemore and do the Cairngorms inner loop clockwise. Probably taking it easy and have an overnight at the Hutchinson memorial hut.

If the local opinion is that it would be a mud and bog trotting HaB from hell, are there any other options in that area (or towards Loch Earne, where the family are going to be) that are drier or survive the rain that will now inevitably occur as I've secured a pass out.

If it's a goer, any recommendations for somewhere in Aviemore to leave a car for 2 days?
gentjim

Re: Cairngorms (or nearby) easter 2016

Post by gentjim »

Interested in earwigging on this...
:wink:
napalmgram

Post by napalmgram »

Well, as no one seems to be forecasting my imminent demise, the pics from the group depart thread looking promising and there's a reasonable forecast for the next 48 hours I've booked a spot at Aviemore YHA on Thursday for a 6ish start :-bd

gentjim, when were you heading round?
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Well I've got a random pass on parental and significant other responsibility thus Easter weekend. And my brother has had to pull out if a plan we had made. So... I'm "considering my options"!

TBH from St Albans it may be a bit far this weekend, particularly as I'm going to be in the Cairngorms in mid April anyway (wedding in Elgin, followed by a couple of days hunting for the "Hidden Howff"...

This weekend I might just pack up the bike, ride ti the start of the Ridgeway, turn left and see where it takes me (other than Swindon!)
Gari

Post by Gari »

What name you booked under napalmgram?(I work at the hostel). May swing through and say hi. Can look over a map or two if you fancy.
You should be fine with regards to tracks etc, but perhaps skip going to the Hutchie, not far from the path, but far from pleasant with a bike.
napalmgram

Post by napalmgram »

Should be under Stuart Moore. Planning to leave Nottingham about 11, so hoping to be up there for 7ish with a couple of coffee breaks. Be good to have a bit of local knowlege

Having had a bit of a look at the map and read a few ride reports I reckon I'll just make it round in a day. But as a cheapskate and wanting a night out I'll probably stop at Ruigh Aiteachain for a couple of hours of kip.

What's the SYHA policy on leaving cars overnight in the car park? Or is there somewhere better to leave it until Saturday morning?
Gari

Post by Gari »

No Problem with the car, Ruigh Aiteachain is a far better choice for a stop. Clockwise or counter?
napalmgram

Post by napalmgram »

Apologies if you did pass through, didn't get here till nearly 9 with the traffic

Going clockwise, so sjouke just have a short jaunt back to the car Saturday morning