Tubeless: skills and spares needed?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MikeOnabike

Tubeless: skills and spares needed?

Post by MikeOnabike »

Hello Good People,
I bought a second hand krampus with "ghetto tubeless" surly knards. I've never had tubeless tires before and so advice needed before solo trip to the mountains:
- I don't need to bring a spare tube, do I? They weigh a ton.
- What tools/spares do I need to fix a flat/sidewall rupture?
- Are there any skills I should figure out before hand? YouTube videos to watch?
Thanks.
Mariner

Re: Tubeless: skills and spares needed?

Post by Mariner »

What sort of tubeless conversion is it?
Is it rim tape or the half an inner tube type?

If it was me I would take a tube and dental floss and a sailmakers needle (curved) and possibly a palm to repair the tyre.
Oh and dont forget tyre levers and a tyre boot.

Or you could stick two tubes in and just take a puncture repair kit. :|
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Defo you should carry a tube but it can be an emergency spare super light one if you're ok to risk it. I once put a road bike inner tube in my Fatty tyre once because it was all I had. Had to fold it and it was a wrestle to keep it in there while pumping it up, but it worked fine and I promptly forgot it was there for three months.

Also carry some of those anchovy things for pushing into thorn holes and smaller flint cuts that the sealant wont fill. You can use two or three at once for bigger holes. These are the ones Ive used:
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genuine-Innovat ... wodpecFVA#

In terms of fixing sidewall cuts the only things Ive ever had any lasting success with is another piece of tyre. Next time you wear out a tyre cut it into bits and carry a piece about 3x3 inches. If that wont cover a sidewall cut nothing will.
I'm just going outside ...
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Hi,

We have been running tubeless for the last 6 years or so on at least 9 sets of wheels. In the Peak, normally only carry one tube and a couple of CO2 cylinders to get us home. If further afield 2 tubes and a pump to back up the CO2. Tyre boot is pretty standard in the repair kit, piece of plastic milk bottle or toothpaste tube, only used twice. We only use lightweight skinny walled tyres with light tread patterns, Schwalbe or Specialized.

Paul
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Get one of these for bigger holes that the Stans won't fill-http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/ ... IR-KIT/250

Edit: Same as BrownDog said!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Paulini

Post by Paulini »

Used the weldtite sticky string type kit a few times with great success and have yet to have a plug fail. When it comes to buying replacements I bought a bulk lot of black motorcycle string/plugs off eBay. They are thicker than you would need but I simply cut a load in half along their length with a Stanley knife. Now got about tens years worth I reckon, and of varying thickness, for less than a fiver.

So far, the tyres have worn out before the plugs failed.

I always carry a tube and patch kit though just in case of course.