What windproof?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ctznsmith

What windproof?

Post by ctznsmith »

...because you know we've done Waterproof rain jackets/shells so what are people rating when it comes to small light pack-able breathable windproof tops.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What windproof?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For outright light weight, small pack size and performance I like the OMM Sonic. I believe Alpkit are launching something soon.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:For outright light weight, small pack size and performance I like the OMM Sonic. I believe Alpkit are launching something soon.
Yeah you'd mentioned the Sonic previously. How does OMM stuff size?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've got a mountain hardware something or other in 7d pertex. very light and tiny - fits inside a clenched fist! I actually prefer the haglofs pacer gillet which is bulkier, but more breathable with a mesh type back has a full zip rahter than a smock
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ianfitz wrote:I've got a mountain hardware something or other in 7d pertex. very light and tiny - fits inside a clenched fist! I actually prefer the haglofs pacer gillet which is bulkier, but more breathable with a mesh type back has a full zip rahter than a smock
The mountain hardware sounds like the ghost?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've got a Montane something-or-other. In fact, I have two - one is flouro yellow and the other is grey. The latter was a prize for submitting a photo to a Montane catalogue and is actually for running rather than cycling. Only difference really is that the cycling one has a longer tail. Both have vented sides.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Featherlight velo and featherlight probably. Both no longer current I think.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

voodoo_simon wrote:
ianfitz wrote:I've got a mountain hardware something or other in 7d pertex. very light and tiny - fits inside a clenched fist! I actually prefer the haglofs pacer gillet which is bulkier, but more breathable with a mesh type back has a full zip rahter than a smock
The mountain hardware sounds like the ghost?
It is see through so that would be a good name for it...

I think it came my way before general release for product testing. mine is very bright yellow! has short arms - especially on a bike
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I really rate the Patagonia nine trails gilet for cycling (or running) in. It packs down very small and easily goes in a jersey pocket. It has a full zip and a stretchy open weave rear panel that helps with breathability. There are some reflective highlights on the back, although not loads. The front panel is a rip stop type fabric that cuts wind very effectively. I have other windproof tops, but wear this more often than any other.
As ianfitz mentions, the haglofsstuff is also good. I've got an old softshell jacket that is frog green and really good in cold weather. Sleeves are only just long enough on a bike though as It is really a running jacket.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How does OMM stuff size?
I've found it to be fairly true to size.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Montane Featherlite smock for me. Needs regular TX-Direct-ing these days (3 years old) but will keep out wind, mist 'n drizzle.

Greetz

S.
javatime

Post by javatime »

Aldi / Lidl pertex type jacket knock offs.

Fluoro yellow to be seen on the road, or black to hide in the woods.

At times they do a hi viz gilet too.

Like the Montane about the size of an apple when scrunched. Worth looking out for.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I use a few

On the road/commute I use a Gore Contest job

Off road I used to use a Montane Featherlite, which stood up surprisingly well in a crash. Now tend to use a Howies Dyfi as a pure windproof

If I'm honest I tend to use a softshell at this time of year off road (Rab VR Lite), but I really like windproofs. Dyfi fared OK in a small spill, have used it for the odd run too, mesh sides means it doesn't pack down as well as the Montane, but the new Howies version of the Dyfi packs down pretty small I think

I rate the Montane stuff though, have windshirts for walking and they're excellent (although sadly now too big for me)
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Paramo Fuera (off here) and buffalo windshirt....both ace :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

That Paramo seems to be pretty decent in the "catering for demonic horns" dept. :)

Greetz

S.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Paramo is more robust than many others, and also less shiny, but the cut is quite boxy. In the wind you'll feel quite sail like. Hood is good too, if that's your thing
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Thanks for the input, I think I want sleeves but no hood...and probably the lighter end of things.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

A Bearbones gillet and you're favourite arm warmers will be fine.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I've tried them but I really dislike arm warmers. :roll:
(I have skinny gibbon arms)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ctznsmith wrote:I've tried them but I really dislike arm warmers. :roll:
(I have skinny gibbon arms)
On one knitted merino ones in size small are good for the narrow of arm. And only three quid a pair too
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I may have ignored all the advice (well sort of) and bought a Rab Windveil pull-on.

I actually went into a shop you see and it was there and ticked all the boxes. As much as I like the idea of the OMM Sonic (and the new Montane Featherlite pull-on) they're both Pertex Quantum now (I think). I have that material on the outside of my down jacket and I reckon for an item that will get regular use I'll probably trash it!

The Windveil is still light and a tiny pack size but Pertex Microlight so hopefully a bit more durable. Very similar I believe to the old Montane Featherlite smock that the 'pull-on' replaced.

Put it on for the ride home to test it, arms are a bit flappy but as mentioned above I'll always struggle on that point and I'm glad I got a large for body length. Did the job although the material feels a bit clammy against bare skin but for that type of material that's normal.