need a new lid

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

need a new lid

Post by HaYWiRe »

Right, after a new helmet, mine is getting a bit loose and way too big (I used to have ALOT of hair...)

Problem is, I seem to have a very funny shape head! Most size mediums I try are too tight on the sides of my head and wont fit, yet size large fits the sides but too much room front and back, even band tightened up. I must have a weird wide head :lol:

What's your recommendations? I ride both road and mountain, mostly both for touring so something to suit a bit of everything. Oh, and vanity dictates it must match the rest of my kit, glass slipper and all that...
voodoo_simon

Re: need a new lid

Post by voodoo_simon »

The Scott Watu has proved popular in the shop u work in, it seems to fit most people. Its a one size fits all, that does seem to fit all, so an option worth exploring. Just take the peak off for a road ride
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Just got a Kask Mojito (ooo, I've got a few things to put down the postman's arrived thread)

The fit is excellent, the way the cradle adjusts is the best of any helmet I've tried. Not so clever with glasses but I've been using mine fine so far

Only use it on the road though (commuting basically), I have a couple of Bell Stokers for off road use (one with light mounts, one without)
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

HaYWiRe wrote:
Problem is, I seem to have a very funny shape head! Most size mediums I try are too tight on the sides of my head and wont fit, yet size large fits the sides but too much room front and back, even band tightened up. I must have a weird wide head :lol:
For me that can only mean 1 thing. Support your LBS, by going down and trying and buying. We can all give recommendations,but TBH there is only one way in my book.
Of vourse the interweb would be an option, but then wouldn't it be a lot sending back and forth.

With helmets and shoes, I always support local shops (unless it's a replacement for a banged up pair). And then it doesn't matter if it's for the 160 hp bike or, or the human powered ones I have. Same goes with all my footwear, bicycle, motorbike, hiking, running. Try and buy..... :-bd

Lars
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Spent the other weekend down my nearest LBS (that wasn't another "auto accessory shop"), they mostly stock specialized, giant and bell.
However I must've tried on over a dozen and none fit the bill, or more accurately, my head* Quite disappointing really

My current is UVEX, and I must admit I love the adjustment and chin strap, but the size down is too small and mine isn't quite snug enough

*I lie, the one helmet that fit like a glove and felt perfect, was an Aero Tri helmet, complete with visor and tail :lol: Maybe I need to start a trend of Aero mountain biking....
giryan

Post by giryan »

Have you tried catlike? they're odd shaped :)

I tried one on in my local auto accessory shop, and it really didn't even vaguely fit me :) Which is a shame because I thought they looked amazing :(
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

try met - i have a similar uvex shaped head.

used met for years before uvex fp1

Also like certain lazer helmets - i wanted a lumo yellow one for commuting and all of those were pinching - the non lumo lower range ones were good though.

bontrager was medium too small - large too big.

giro are too narrow for me

endura - too narrow

not tried catlike ,

specialized echelon was where i ended up with my lumo yellow helmet.fitted fine in the shop and passed the non strapped bend over and put headupside down test However it slides forward in actual use on the mtb which was dissapointing....but it only lasted a week before the hole at the bottom of the larig au laoigh sucked my front wheel in and wrote the helmet off...;..
ootini

Post by ootini »

I've got a Catlike Tako. I've got a head shaped like a brazil nut, it fits me fine.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

HaYWiRe wrote:....(I used to have ALOT of hair...)
*pedant twitch*

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk ... thing.html

*pedant twitch*

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

LBS for trying on and buying.

Uvex very similar fit to MET as mentioned above.
Endura have had great feedback - the three main helmets fit differently though, so try all three.
Specialized Align - we have these at work, very cheap and oh so comfortable, worth a look. Similar fit to MET.

Paul.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

GregMay wrote:
HaYWiRe wrote:....(I used to have ALOT of hair...)
*pedant twitch*

That just made my day :lol: Though if you had seen my afro, you too would agree with the use of ALOT, because trust me, it was a lot of hair...

MET seems to be a popular trend, I'll have to find a dealer I can go in to try a few on. My other half keeps trying to convince me to get a BELL helmet, the ones with the detachable full face jaw....im not sure what she's hinting at....
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

i have a specialized tactic 2 and its vaguely exciting, fits well lots of adjustment , good