Fork Steerer tube too short...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Fork Steerer tube too short...

Post by rufus748 »

I'm considering a change of frame. I want to keep my forks (White Bros Rock Solid) but the steerer tube is 10mm too short.. :sad:
I don't run spacers at the moment so no movement that way.
So, can I get it lengthened or is it possible to have it pressed out and replaced ?
An Internet search hasn't really helped.
I know there's some engineering gurus lurking around here... :wink:
jam bo

Re: Fork Steerer tube too short...

Post by jam bo »

Low stack headset, low stack steerer. Should be able to gain 10mm easily.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bbb-ahea ... wwoduBcKCQ

Many examples available, search steerer tube extender.

Paul.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You might be able to use a lower stack headset (no good if the one you have is fully integrated, obviously) and/or a lower stack stem (Ragley Stubbing are quite small).

Other than that, you're looking at a new steerer assembly (CSU)
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

ScotRoutes wrote:Other than that, you're looking at a new steerer assembly (CSU)
Sorry, CSU?

I've got a cycle2 charge unit so a steerer tube extender may prove problematic.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Crown steerer unit.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I vote welding a bit more on! Image :lol:

(Unless it's carbon or something else not metal....).
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

[quote="Zippy"]I vote welding a bit more on! Image :

I know nothing about welding but I'm thinking it must be possible .....

I'm waiting a reply from Ison about pressing in a new one or changing the CSU (although I suspect it will be cheaper to replace the forks)

In the meantime I'll chat with my dentist about the cost of replacing all my front teeth... :wink:
FLV

Post by FLV »

You cant change the CSU on those forks. The carbon tubes will be bonded into the Aluminium crown for life.

Dont bother pursuing welding (I expect Zippy was joking) as once welded you would need the steerer tube turning (machining) back to a proper diameter so you're not cost effective.

What is the frame?
What kind of headset do you have?
What brand rise and length of stem do you currently use?

If it is traditional headset you can fit some very low profile upper and lower cups, then you have the stem stack height to play with too as others mentioned.
A low stack height stem are generally shortish and seem to have low rise.

By doing these things, you will be lowering your ride height.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote:I expect Zippy was joking)
About 85% joking. I'd probably give it a bash, but only coz I have a welder (not that I have the correct wire or gas for alu...) (and then again I'd rather TIG that, and I don't own a TIG welder...).
If you don't have a welder, or mate with welder, then nah!

I'd actually probably do a low stack headset (on top) and risk anything left - then try and find a stem which will give the equivalent handlebar position.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Bored at lunchtime so I thought I'd do some Googlng. Stems usually have 40mm ish stack:

Spank Spike stem has 35mm but is a bit downhill and only in a couple of lengths.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/span ... -prod73095

Ragley Stubbing stem has a 30mm stack. Again a bit downhill but 40,50 and 60mm lengths.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ragl ... prod122312

Funn Funduro 30mm stack.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funn ... -prod91491

If you don't mind a negative drop the Syntace Flatface has a 27mm stack. Not cheap though.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/syntace-flatforce-stem/
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

As the Rock Solids are 99% the same forks as the Exotic carbons isn't it worth selling them, getting a new pair and keeping the same stem etc that you're happy with? You might squeeze a low stack stem on but if your position is wrong then you've not really saved much.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I welded and extension onto a steel steerer. I machined a stepped steel slug which I pressed into the steerer and then but welded it in. Finally polished the weld smooth. The stem clamped partly on the old steerer and partly on the new extension. It lasted until the forks eventually wore out (first gen bombers so they lasted for 7 years!)
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I've done a lot of internet searching and I've seen a few people who have made a new section, it's turned and pressed into the existing tube and then drilled and pinned. Looks tidy and they all seem happy (no new teeth).
A mates son is by all accounts metal and fabrication (and a bike rider). I'm going to seek his view on turning and pressing in a new length.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've done a lot of internet searching and I've seen a few people who have made a new section, it's turned and pressed into the existing tube and then drilled and pinned. Looks tidy and they all seem happy (no new teeth).
A mates son is by all accounts metal and fabrication (and a bike rider). I'm going to seek his view on turning and pressing in a new length.
I'd have no qualms, not after some of the sh1te I've seen ridden happily at 100mph. If you really wanted a good job, it might be possible to thread the inside of the existing steerer and the new slug and screw them together ... motorbike forks have been extended like that many times but not by me I hasten to add.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I'd have no qualms, not after some of the sh1te I've seen ridden happily at 100mph. If you really wanted a good job, it might be possible to thread the inside of the existing steerer and the new slug and screw them together ... motorbike forks have been extended like that many times but not by me I hasten to add.
Good luck then. I've no experience in engineering matters (a bit maybe). If you know some guy who can sort it, then that sounds just spiffy. Just like in the 80's when we all knew some guy....

However, like I eluded to... if youre not up to doing a proper job yourself, its definitely going to be cost prohibitive. For a proper job.

Just get new forks if its more than can be absorbed in a headset or stem without compromising riding position.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good luck then. I've no experience in engineering matters (a bit maybe). If you know some guy who can sort it, then that sounds just spiffy. Just like in the 80's when we all knew some guy....

However, like I eluded to... if youre not up to doing a proper job yourself, its definitely going to be cost prohibitive. For a proper job.

Just get new forks if its more than can be absorbed in a headset or stem without compromising riding position.
Although extending the steerer is certainly possible, I do agree with Dave ^. A proper job could well turn out more expensive than new forks (especially once you've factored in selling the existing forks) and ultimately you're still ending up with a bodge or at best, quite a compromise.
May the bridges you burn light your way