Waterproof advise

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Waterproof advise

Post by Adventurer »

I'm looking for some waterproof trousers but I'm finding it hard to find a solution.

I've got two pairs of waterproof trousers. One a sprayway gortex and the other is a OMM. Both good waterproofs but when I wear them cycling the end go above my boots (I use shimano spd boots).

So if it rains the rain goes into my boots. On the commute I wear north wave winter boots with bibtights but shimano boots are better for bikepacking as I like to look less 'cyclist' in pubs and cafes.

Anyway, I've looked at cycling specific twaterproof trousers but they seem to be heavy or lined.

Walking trousers are not long enough or have a cycling cut.

So my solution was to get some lightweight slim calf length gaiters and the wear some 3/4 lightweight waterproof cycling shorts.
Cover my whole leg and stop water going in my boots and I also get some ventilation around the knee area.

Would this work?

What do you use? Thanks
jam bo

Re: Waterproof advise

Post by jam bo »

Do they ride up or are they designed to sit above?

My arcteryx beta's have a small clip/lace hook that stops them from riding up.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Haglofs active shell pants are supposed to be good from friends recommendations, but can't comment myself.

Have you thought of gaiters below the waterproof pants to stop the rain draining into your shoes? Cheap and you can wear them in muddy days etc
ootini

Post by ootini »

Twaterproof. My new favourite word. :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

voodoo_simon wrote:Haglofs active shell pants are supposed to be good from friends recommendations, but can't comment myself.

Have you thought of gaiters below the waterproof pants to stop the rain draining into your shoes? Cheap and you can wear them in muddy days etc
Edit, of course you thought of that, you even mention it in your post :oops: Go with a standard gaiter and use full length pants, I'd you get a slight gap between the gaiter and 3/4 pant, it's hellish!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

military goretex like these, cheap, light and really do the job :-bd .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-GORETEX-T ... 5koQyOUGYQ
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Endura works well :cool: mt500 specifically.
Last edited by Laurensdad on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
@philg1971 Instagram
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

i love my rab gaiters.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Another alternative is knee-length Sealskinz socks and three-quarter length waterproof shorts. Your boots'll fill up but you won't mind.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I have some Montane Atomic DT overtrousers that work well. Lighter than my 3/4's in weight and pack small. Alos used the Sealskinz / 3/4combo as well depending on ride.

Not sure if 'twaterproof' though ;-)
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I do the 3/4 waterproof shorts and gaiters solution.
https://punkrockbikeclub.com/2015/11/rot-and-rain/

I actually like the 'gap' for a bit of ventilation. I probably chopped/hemmed my current waterproof trousers a bit short but it hasn't meant wet feet just a slightly damp upper shin occasionally.