Which compressor for tubeless?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blackhound

Which compressor for tubeless?

Post by Blackhound »

Having issues setting up new tyres tubeless as they keep going down. Tubeless ready rims, tape, sealant and Racing Ralph EVO TLR. Used track pump and co2 carts with no success.

Had email exchange on another subject with chickenlegs earlier and he suggested trying a compressor.

Aware cheaper one's from Aldi not suitable but what is the minimum I need -or cheapest!

Not sure I want to spend a lot so may just run tubes for upcoming tour.
Wotsits

Re: Which compressor for tubeless?

Post by Wotsits »

I've got a Michelin compressor jobbie from Cosco that was about £120.

But i've heard good things about these-
www.airshotltd.com

Or, if you're feeling adventurous you could make your own out of an old fire extinguisher..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If they're going down after initial fitting then a compressor won't help.

Touch wood, but I've always managed with just a track pump. Possibly just lucky with rim/tyre choices though?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks. Not sure I want to spend £120 for something I would use so rarely. Will have a look at the airshot when I get home.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Is the problem that you can't inflate the tyre or that once inflated it loses pressure over a period of time, say overnight?

If the former then yes, some form of compressor will help either ghetto or commercial.

If the latter then it tends to be one of a handful of things:
1. during installation you've somehow damaged or moved the rim strip, this usually results in air leaking out through the side of the valve.
2. the rims haven't popped in to place.

Being careful helps with the first, mild soapy water helps with the second. I also unfold the tyre several hours before I try to fit it so that the folds don't become a problem but it sounds like you are past that point.

So far with tubeless I've been lucky, all the tyres have inflated with just a track pump and a bit of rapid pumping. The one time I did have a problem it was due to me pushing on the edge of the rim tape at some point, once found it was quickly sorted out. Some tyre/rim combinations seem to work, others don't. It's a bit hit and miss.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Hi Kevin, when you say they keep going down, is this over a period of time having initially inflated and seated the bead or will the bead not seat on the rim in the first place?
If the former, it's more likely that the sidewall is a bit porous and the wheel needs the "panning for gold" technique before refitting to the bike or go for a ride to let centrifugal force do the trick. If the latter, any compressor with a decent size tank and ability to ramp up to about 100psi will work, you need a large volume of air put in quickly to bang the bead on. Removing the valve core and blasting the bead onto the rim without the limitation of the core can also work. Cheers D
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Lots of very soapy water and take the valve core out. Pump to max pressure with track pump to seat, deflate, sealant in thru valve, core back in and reinflate.

Sometimes warming the tyre up helps, making the rubber more flexible.

Never needed a compressor but I imagine there maybe harder combos than ones I've had success with.

And £60 off for the airshot :o
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Oops, slow typing means I've largely repeated whitestone's advice. The reason the aldi ones dont work so well is that they dont have a tank to store up a big volume of air to blast the bead on with. Machine Mart seem to sell more reasonably priced ones or there's a device which can be pumped up with a track pump and then discharge the required volume, have a look on STW as they rave about it, can't recall the name but it's about £40
Mike

Post by Mike »

I some times wonder if its the tires. Different brands etc. Iv just bought a maxxis for the susser. I literally put it on the rim put stans in and blew it up first time with a joe blow track pump. No messing yet iv had other tires that were a mare!! :wink:

## prob not very helpfull :lol:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Agree with all the above..

But if it is the inflation that's the problem, presuming it's a presta valve, the cheapest way to get round it is first take the valve core out then either fit one of these-
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod38828
(you'd prob need one of these anyway for more garage type compressors)
Or, do the 'cut the end off the valve cap trick'..
http://antranik.org/how-to-make-a-prest ... w-seconds/
Then go round the local garage & use their car tyre inflator to get it seated..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Lawmanmx wrote:I'd bet THIS would work :-bd http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/topeak ... wwod_6AJ2g
I have one of these, I was surprised how much resistance there was when pumping it. The Bontrager Flash Charger is very good, certainly worth the premium over an airshot as you get a very good track pump as well as a tubeless inflator.
FLV

Post by FLV »

You can make a makeshift compressor from a couple of bits of tube and some valves.

I've been using mine for years with 99% positive results.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I got a wolf 50 litre 1.5hp compressor from screwfix a few years ago for £50. Its a cheap piece of poor show but it works for tyre inflation although not gutsy enough to drive a burp gun or a sprayer. I know a few people who use the aldi compressors (not cyclists) and they are good, better than my thing and fine for inflating tyres at least. Shop around but you should be able to get something for a lot less than a hundred quid. Worthwhile investment and if you do get one which is powerful enough to drive a burp gun you get the benefit of never having to worry about tight bolts again. You can also use them to unscrew cassette lockrings without needing a chain whip (you just hold the sprockets, apply burp gun and bang, its loose)
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Airshot works well. Not used on a fat tyre.
Ian

Post by Ian »

johnnystorm wrote:
Lawmanmx wrote:I'd bet THIS would work :-bd http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/topeak ... wwod_6AJ2g
I have one of these, I was surprised how much resistance there was when pumping it. The Bontrager Flash Charger is very good, certainly worth the premium over an airshot as you get a very good track pump as well as a tubeless inflator.
The Flash Charger can be had for £75 now, which is tempting.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yeah but I got one of these.... for £25 more and it does tuneless tyres 1st time every time.....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-82160 ... 240v/48089
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I have a decent(ish) 50l air compressor with a 2horsepower motor, I run air tools off it no bother. (I.e. way more than enough for inflating tyres!)
I have however sometimes struggled to get a tyre to pop onto the rim if I'm being lazy and haven't taken the valve core out. You pretty much can't get a car tyre to pop onthe rim if you leave the valve core in... That's probs my advice outside of the usual soapy water, using an inner tube initially to sit the tyre on the bead etc etc.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Blackhound wrote:Having issues setting up new tyres tubeless as they keep going down. Tubeless ready rims, tape, sealant and Racing Ralph EVO TLR. Used track pump and co2 carts with no success.

Had email exchange on another subject with chickenlegs earlier and he suggested trying a compressor.

Aware cheaper one's from Aldi not suitable but what is the minimum I need -or cheapest!

Not sure I want to spend a lot so may just run tubes for upcoming tour.

How long have they been on? I find some cominations need a few rides to seal properly. Maybe stick another 50ml of stans in each and go for a ride
Last edited by ianfitz on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Fantasticmrmatt (urban fox) wrote:
Yeah but I got one of these.... for £25 more and it does tuneless tyres 1st time every time.....

As good as one of those would be, a flash charger takes up no more space than a track pump. I don't think I've got room for s full size compressor.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Somewhat off thread: have got a 2 litre fizzy pop bottle and a few old inner tubes so I think I'll have a go at making myself a ghetto compressor/inflator http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... al-cost-9p :smile:

A compressor is basically a reservoir to hold compressed air, some means of stuffing air in to the reservoir (commercial versions have an engine, the cheap version will have me!) and a tube to route the compressed air to the tyre/tube.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Blackhound - if you are having trouble getting the tyres seated, here are few things that helped me recently. I've never needed to use an air compressor, just a Joe Blow track pump. You may have already tried some of these things, some were mentioned above already.

1. Check the tyres to make sure they don't have any rubber whiskers around the bead where it interfaces the rim. If so, cut them off and lightly sand down any excess.
2. If it's a new tyre, be sure to seat it with a tube first to get it to take shape. Then remove the tube, but carefully leave one side of the tyre seated. That will nearly half the leakage which occurs before it's seated.
2. Use plenty of soap suds. You probably know this already.
4. As already mentioned, remove the valve core to get the maximum air flow.
3. If using Gorilla tape or the Scotch transparent duct tape rather than an 'as specified' rim strip and it's a getting seated but has a slow leak, try adding another layer to achieve a tighter fit between the tyre and the rim. That helped me get it to hold air for days rather than hours.

L
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With regard to soapy water, I find hot soapy water works much better than cold ... possibly helps to soften the tyre a little?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Any particular washing up liquid?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Fantasticmrmatt (urban fox) wrote:

I started air compressor life with one of these (well 5 litre version). I'd recommend binning the accessories kit, coz it's pure cr4p and a bit of a liability!