Family trail near Groeslon, North Wales?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Family trail near Groeslon, North Wales?

Post by Moder-dye »

Seems I will be seeing Wales this year! My father in law has just moved to Groeslon in Mid Wales and it looks like we will be making the long trek sooth to visit him via a few days on the edge of the North York Moors where I'm from.

Any ideas for a family friendly bikepacking route reasonably near to Groeslon ( and how to pronounce it) for just a few days ride, maybe only 20-30km a day (don't want to sicken them) . It'll need to be quiet roads and reasonable trails as my wifes bike is a dawes galaxy tourer, but I can put some more cx type tyres on it. The lad (8yrs) will be on a kids hardtail mtb, not a total lump of lead, but not a island/frog bike either.

It seems a national cycle way runs by the village but other than that I no nothing about routes or camping in the area.

Any advice/links appreciated :-bd
Last edited by Moder-dye on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ootini

Re: Family trail near Groeslon, Mid Wales?

Post by ootini »

G - Royce - Lon

G as in "Gun", Royce as in "Rolls Royce" and Lon as in "Long".

If you roll the R in "Groes" you'll sound more local.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are we talking about Groeslon 5 - 6 miles south of Caernarfon? If so, it's very much north not mid :wink: Anyway, I'll have a look on the map and see what I can see.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Oops, Yeh I think we are! Sorry :oops:

Obviously not thinking straight. Just got in from a ride and my wife told me and she said mid Wales so just took it she was right. As she usually is, apparently lol!
ootini

Post by ootini »

Yeah that's definitely North Wales. No idea about cycling round that neck of the woods, but you're very close to the Nantlle ridge, which has some great walks, and you could always nip over to take a look at Dorothea quarry too. It's a very popular inland SCUBA diving site, it's very interesting to walk round, chat with the divers etc. You could quite possibly ride up there to be honest, heading through Tal Y Sarn. I reckon you'd have some luck over at Beddgelert forest trying to find some nice relaxed routes. Don't believe the stories though :wink:
Moder-dye

Re: Family trail near Groeslon, North Wales?

Post by Moder-dye »

I know the national park area of North Wales somewhat from past climbing and walking exploits but not the sort of cycling that theyd be up to. I'll check out those areas and Beddgelert.

Anglesey looks like it might be promising. Went skinny dipping at Newborough Warren 25 years ago lol! And spent a month in the Tryfan area mapping for my geology degree. Best get Googling...
Mrhoppy

Post by Mrhoppy »

Back roads and byways across to Bethesda then up the cycle route to one of the campsites below Tryfan. Next day take BOAT to Capel Road up to penypass turn off and track down to the bottom of the valley to minor road to Beddgelert. Forest tracks up to Road across to Nantlle then back to start on back roads. 75km ish in total, but fairly good riding mostly on quiet roads or decent offroad.

Either that or tie Llon Las Cefni and Newborough Warren together.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A good while since I lived in the area (Llanrug near Caernarfon) but Beddgelert Forest has a reasonable number of fireroad route plus a few singletrack shortcuts should you so desire. There's a bit of a hill in the way if you intend cycling there from Groeslon!

Anglesey - there's bits around Newborough beach but there's also quite a lot of quiet lanes once you get away from the A55 (or there used to be!) The other area you might want to check out is the Lleyn Peninsular, will be mainly road but there's lots of beaches.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

There's a whole network of short green route / family cycling routes around Newborough forest now.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers for all those ideas. The Anglesey options look good and in my head may be a bit more family friendly , but the idea of the Beddgelert /Bethesda area appeals to me more.

We'll obviously be driving down from Shetland with the bikes so within reason can start where ever is most appropriate.

Quite excited as I've not been to Wales for around 8 years and I love it. I might even wangle a 'proper' day in the hills myself if I'm a good boy.