4th -11th (ish) of July - double Coast 2 Coast

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pedalhead

4th -11th (ish) of July - double Coast 2 Coast

Post by pedalhead »

Planning ahead here, but I've got the time off work and permission from the other boss so definitely going ahead with something. I had originally planned to do a double Coast to Coast (Highlands + Lakes) last October but decided to postpone until I had my new bike (which I now have).

In the meantime I decided that the Lakes C2C looked a bit miserable according to a couple of friends who've ridden it, and the Welsh Coast to Coast (Dave Buchannan's "Hobbit" trail) came to my attention (I'd also use this tour as a scouting exercise for a potential fast day ride of it later on). So, my current thoughts are to ride the Highlands C2C followed by Dave's Wales C2C in about a week (although I'm still open to suggestions!).

The idea of the trip is to get a good self-supported, multi-day ride in my legs to serve as practice (mental, kit, physical) for longer stuff in the future (specifically in this case the Tour Divide 2013). With that in mind, I'm aiming to cover a reasonable distance each day. Nothing crazy, but I'm currently thinking the Highlands C2C in two full days (probably catching train on the morning of the third day), and the Wales route in three days. That'll mean between 70 and 90 miles a day on average. Ideally I'm looking to ride in "TD mode", so picking up supplies along the way (I won't be bringing my cooking gear).

Anyway, I was originally planning to do this trip solo, but I it occurred to me that there might be some nutters who would be interested in joining me for one or both of these rides, and it'd certainly be more fun with company (I get more than enough solo training time!!). I'm still working out the logistics (and the most effective midge repellant!) but thought I'd throw it out there & see if anyone else wanted to join in before plans are finalised. Cheers!