Kanga vs Lion

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

biggaygibbon

Kanga vs Lion

Post by biggaygibbon »

Looking at some new bike pack gear. Settled on the Wildcat Tiger for seat bag as I like the idea of just being able to pop the dry bag out of the harness at the end of the day.
Looking at bar bag alternatives. Its between the Alpkit Kanga and Wildcat Lion. Main difference seems to be the rigid optional struts on the Kanga. These do look handy to keep the bag high and clear of tyre when the fork bottoms out.
Any experience peeps?
Justchris

Re: Kanga vs Lion

Post by Justchris »

There is a thread on wild cat frame bags and apidura bags. And overwhelming support for the Welsh brand. But when comparing harnesses it's a little more tricky than what is the better quality product. I haven't had an alpkit harness, well I actually did but I sent it back. It was ok quality. The wildcat harness is a quality piece of kit, better materiels and better stitching. Much more so than alpkit.

The wildcat for me, works really well on my standard handlebars. For me it sits nice and low and out of the way and that's important to me. I pack light and small, but even doing so I had to get a new left break hose to accommodate the bag. The only limitation to the wildcat harness is that as it sits under the bar you are limited by how much kit you can put in it before tyre rub occurs. But I can get a down bag, x frame mat and bivi bag all in a compression dry bag on mine. And probably a load more if I tried. However. I have recently changed to a carbon frame, and I have to be careful of abrasion on the frame.

The alpkit that I sent back sat higher, and I felt would totally compromise my light fitting and rubbed and put pressure on my gps mount. The alpkit also blocked my view of the ground just in front of my wheel as it sat higher up. That was the decider back it went. But as it sat higher, you can get more gear into it before tyre rub occurs. It alright quality. But it might fit your bike better. So its not just the better quality product.

Hope this helps, a bit

Chris.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Thanks Chris. I think I am more inclined to go for the Wildcat, so cheers.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Only used wildcat but will be sticking with them. Have the lion and for next winter, i'll be buying back into wildcat for the fat lion (the normal lion - for me - will hold up to a 20l dry bag, whilst i want to put in a 35l bag). Also have the seat harness and i've been impressed with that too :-bd
Matt

Post by Matt »

I've used both...

Wildcat is the best, it just is. It's stable, light and doesn't move.

Alpkit is okay, it works and is good value as AK stuff always is.

but for the £20 difference I'd buy the Wildcat one. £20 is quickly forgot when you know you've got the best solution. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

So good he said it twice...
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

biggaygibbon wrote:Thanks Chris. I think I am more inclined to go for the Wildcat, so cheers.
There are a few retailers for wildcat gear so you can have a look at their kit before you buy. I contacted wildcat and they sent me to my local stockist who happened to be shand frame builders.

Thanks.

C
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I haven't got a Lion but my Kanga is a PITA to fit and can cause grief when it comes to fitting lights, etc to your bars. It is stable but there is so much "going on" to achieve this it's over the top. I wouldn't recommend it or buy another. And as for the Roo pouch....completely pointless.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Thanks guys. Got the WC stuff.

Any suggestions for dry bags?
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

sports direct sell karrimor drybags quite cheap, I have them and they look great and do what it says on the tin :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

Lawmanmx wrote:sports direct sell karrimor drybags quite cheap, I have them and they look great and do what it says on the tin :-bd
+1 for Karrimor. They're dirt cheap and considering the price, stand up to a fair bit of abuse. Treat them as consumables. The AlpKit Airlok bags are higher quality, but pricier.

Another thing to consider is, do you actually need a harness? *ducks* I get by using nothing but a pair of heavy duty luggage straps from Halfords and an AlpKit Airlok Dual dry bag. It's faffier to fit the bag etc but it cost me £10 for the straps and I think £10 for the bag, purchase 2nd hand from this parish.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

biggaygibbon wrote:Thanks guys. Got the WC stuff.

Any suggestions for dry bags?
I use an Exped dry bag on the front but I am thinking of getting the Alpkit dual opening dry bag as the Exped is quite old now and when wet would be suitable for use in a wet t-shirt competition :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Matt

Post by Matt »

For dry bags I don't think you can beat the Alpkit ones with the tabs
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I used a Revelate Salty Roll last weekend, and upgrade from my Alpkit job. Wanted something narrower and wider

I really liked the extra opening, which I know you can get from Alpkit too. Make putting stuff away on the fly, like an extra layer, and unpacking later on, much easier
RIP

Post by RIP »

"pair of heavy duty luggage straps from [Alpkit] and an AlpKit Airlok Dual dry bag." Yep, with you there Oot. Bit of Biketart clear tape on the bars and round the headtube and all sorted.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster