lithium batterys,

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

lithium batterys,

Post by Justchris »

i have been doing a fair bit of night riding lately, as it seems the only time I can get out. I have two lezyne super drive xls, and a few months ago bought an exposure race light as the two lezyne lights where not enough for a few events i have planed. So the first oppertunity i got to use the exposure I fully charged it and left it on the 'high' setting. After three and a bit hours it was done. Testing done, and I was very happy with it.
However i have noticed, that if I fully charge it and then leave the light in a drawer for a four or five days it seems to be only about 50-60% charged when I go to use it.
What I want to know is if others have had the same experiences as me, with their lithium powered lights. Because I emailed exposure and they said this was perfectly normal. But the super drives dont do it and they are a few year old.

just a note, today I brought my charger into work and fully charged it, and rode home and it seemed at full capacity.

thanks chris
benp1

Re: lithium batterys,

Post by benp1 »

Hmmm, that's odd. 4-5 days later is expect it to be at max capacity still...?
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

I can leave my Exposure Joystick for weeks at full charge without any issues when I come to use it. I'd be giving the warranty department a call.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Gari

Post by Gari »

My Diablo is the same, I can't really use it on a whim as I need to make sure I charge it first! Great light but frustrating re the charge of thing.
I end up taking my joystick too as a backup, which defeats the point somewhat.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

That is most odd. No issues here with 4 different Exposure lights.

Probably worth a shout to the folks in the office, they are usually quite helpful.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

GregMay wrote:That is most odd. No issues here with 4 different Exposure lights.

Probably worth a shout to the folks in the office, they are usually quite helpful.
I did. And they said it was normal. My slight worry is I was planning on charging my lights overnight on the Thursday. Driving up to the Strathpuffer on Friday to get a decent spot. Camp out Friday night. Use the lights Saturday. Now I have to figure on charging them late Friday or Saturday morning. Just another faff.I have emailed exposure back as to why my battery's lose charge over time. If I don't get an appropriate answer. Chain reaction will be getting a return. But I will be buying the same light just to make sure I didn't get a dud.

Thanks

Chris
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

really?

Wow.. since when did batteries losing charge that fast become normal?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Are lithium batteries new to exposure lights then? The older ones must not have these as I have a diablo which (although it doesn't have a %age charge indicator) holds a good charge for months.

If thats the 'new normal' its disappointing, makes that sort of light questionable for longer ITTs. I'd be cross if I'd carried one round the HT550 and then found that pushing through on the last night there was bugger all charge in it!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

ianfitz wrote:Are lithium batteries new to exposure lights then? The older ones must not have these as I have a diablo which (although it doesn't have a %age charge indicator) holds a good charge for months.

If thats the 'new normal' its disappointing, makes that sort of light questionable for longer ITTs. I'd be cross if I'd carried one round the HT550 and then found that pushing through on the last night there was bugger all charge in it!
This is one of my worries. I will let you know what exposure say.

Thanks

Chris
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ianfitz wrote:Are lithium batteries new to exposure lights then?
Er, no. I changed the battery inside my mk2 joystick, and that had a 18650 li-ion cell in it :lol: and that deffo pre-dates the diablo.

Exposure lights, I like them, own many, great company - but they do sometimes have a few flaws (i know a lot of people with a variety of products all with slight little things). One of them is current leeching - my maxx-D has an emitter that is permanently on at very low levels when switched off, and my joystick initially had a weird problem where I couldn't turn it off on one of the modes and have to wait for the battery to drain to switch off! That got sent back and fixed by them. Anyway, check for current leeching, and maybe the battery is shot?

I'm surprised they haven't offered to help though, they're normally quite good.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Justchris wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Are lithium batteries new to exposure lights then? The older ones must not have these as I have a diablo which (although it doesn't have a %age charge indicator) holds a good charge for months.

This is one of my worries. I will let you know what exposure say.

Thanks

Chris
Please do post it up - it would be good to know that. Exposure would have been my 'go to' recommendation based on their products I currently have but...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

danielgroves wrote:I can leave my Exposure Joystick for weeks at full charge without any issues when I come to use it. I'd be giving the warranty department a call.
Same here with mine, barely lose any charge.

Mk2 Six Pack and Mk4 Diablo so pre 'reflex' or other fancier features....
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Can't believe how quickly and helpfull exposure have delt with the problem. They have outlined a number of reasons why my problems could have occurred. They took all of the details off me about the light including light number etc etc. After a few swift emails back and forth I have decided to get a replacement. Exposure have said if my replacement hasn't come through from chain reaction, or if I am unhappy with it again for any reason i have to email them and they will bring a light for me to use at the Strathpuffer as they have a tent there. You just can't fault their customer service at all.

But get this. I didnt mention to them about the Strathpuffer. Someone from their company is on this forum.

Thanks

Chris
RIP

Post by RIP »

On this subject, have never got a definitive answer from either tinternet or light companies about whether to leave the batteries fully or partially charged to get the best longevity. Even had different answers from one company at different times. At one point the consensus seemed to be that if leaving a battery longer than "a few weeks" it was best to cool it to 0degreesC at 40% charge. Bit difficult to measure 40% since lithium seems to be all-or-nothing as far as a multimeter goes. Not least, Mrs Perrin seemed strangely lukewarm about the prospect when I respectfully requested a tiny amount of her freezer space. I managed seven years out of a recent battery from Company X.

Reg
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've also got a mk2 joystick that is (i think) 2009- around 6 years old, i use it almost every day in work as a torch & have done for years.
It gets some hammer- dropped, kicked, submerged in water, left on in my pocket, run down & charged daily, the lot...
Had it repaired once by exposure for £12.
Doesn't appear to lose it's charge if left, although the way i use it it'd have to be pretty dramatic for me to notice..
It'll also be on bothy duty this weekend..

It's quite frankly ace, if i lost it i'd be well upset..

I've got a few of their lights, the weakest of which i think is the TraceR rear light. Got one that i need to send back that looks like the on/off button has disappeared inside somewhere..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!