Cairngorm loop grp depart 2016

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Cairngorm loop grp depart 2016

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done Howard, must be the hardest traverse of the route - even harder than Aiden Hardings ride in 2012! Interesting to see the various river levels - The Avon at the fords looked quite low but The Geldie and Bynack burn looked higher than I've ever seen them - I guess as the temps went up on Saturday everything started melting. The step above the Feshie looks far worse than when I was there last year, I can see that becoming impassable before long.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

htrider wrote:Well done Howard,
Yes ditto that. Image It's a tough route in good conditions, throw in those conditions and it’s properly tough. I had a go about a year ago at the same time as the HT550 start, and whilst the weather wasn’t bad – I’d misjudged it a bit and had to bail as I’d packed too light for the conditions.
htrider wrote:The step above the Feshie looks far worse than when I was there last year, I can see that becoming impassable before long.
Hmm, best I get on with having another crack at the route then….!
Howard

Post by Howard »

htrider wrote:Well done Howard, must be the hardest traverse of the route - even harder than Aiden Hardings ride in 2012!
Thanks - but I don't think they really compare. Getting round the whole route in under 24 hours is vaguely exciting - his average speed wasn't much less than mine on La Marmotte; on a road bike, on the road, fully supported and carrying nothing! Absolutely Amazing. I'm pretty impressed with Nikk's 130 miles in 24 hours. My "achievement" was simply anticipating how slow I was going to be and booking the Monday off work! :-bd