Should I have said something?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Should I have said something?

Post by Ray Young »

Whilst waiting for my wife to pick me up after doing the weekly shop I noticed a Halcyon Sonama hybrid bike locked up. Something just looked wrong about it so I went and had a closer look. Turns out the forks (straight bladed) were fitted back to front with the reflector facing forward properly and a mudguard fitted as you would normally. Even the disc brake cable had been routed over the wheel so as not to catch on anything. I thought that if i'm still here when the owner comes back and they don't look as they know much about bikes then i'll let them know. The owner turns up and is wearing 3/4 cycling shorts, cycling top, helmet and hydration pack so I let him go on his merry way thinking he must know what he's doing. Should I have said something? Must have made for very interesting steering/riding. :?
didnothingfatal

Re: Should I have said something?

Post by didnothingfatal »

Not your problem, walk on by! I used to work with a guy would dressed in full Rabo Bank team kit, rode a hybrid with kids seat, bike was a death trap, when I mentioned it he got arsey!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I recall a bloke getting quite upset at the Dyfi enduro a few years ago ... he'd made it half way round and was at the food stop when his mistake was (quite loudly) pointed out to him!
May the bridges you burn light your way
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

Difficult one.

Cycling folk can be a strange breed, aproach with extreme caution and a feeling of trepidation.

My general rule (for all situations!) is:

1 - If people look approachable I will tactfully and 'gently' offer advice.
2 - If people look unapproachable I just shug my shoulders and utter to myself 'Only the strong survive'.

Its not worth geting shouted at for.

G
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Well he didn't look too approachable and there are plenty of nutters in Edinburgh so I think I did right.
Matt

Post by Matt »

You did well my OP OCD would have kicked in and I'd have fixed it for him uninvited.

I couldn't have left it, I would have been all twitching and not be able to concentrate or sleep.

This OCD only works on OPs though.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I understand OCD but what's OP?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Other Peoples

My own bike is a shed
bod

Post by bod »

Must be a Matt thing Matt, I'm exactly the same; the ticks, the twitching, the involuntary bike maintenance. The brother-in-law has a pie plate left on his carbon framed, BB30 bottom bracketed, Ultegra equipped road bike and every time I mention it he gets moody and hides the bike from me. I'm freaking out now just writing about it...
My bike has a nice layer of filth I've been cultivating for the last 4 years too...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

"My own bike is a shed"

" My bike has a nice layer of filth I've been cultivating for the last 4 years too..."

You two should get together and your OP OCD would compell you to look after each other's bikes.

My consultation bill is in the post. ;)