Waterproof jackets

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Waterproof jackets

Post by Adventurer »

Interested in what you are using as a waterproof jacket?

Do you go cycle specific or outdoor?

Hood, no hood or detachable hood?

Does colour/reflectives matter?

I'm using a OMM jacket with a fixed hood, from my orienteering days.

https://www.theomm.com/products/clothin ... -jacket-2/
welshwhit

Re: Waterproof jackets

Post by welshwhit »

I use that very jacket, I find it spot on, but you do need to tuck in the hood if going downwards at any rate of knots

Drew
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Id probably buy a cycling specific jacket but still have too many others left from my kit testing days.

I've an omm kamilieka, a haglofs Oz and a berghaus active shell smock still to wear out first...

They all work well enough!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Not sure my jackets actually qualify as "waterproof" as they both tend to let biblical style rain in after a while. My somewhat ancient Burley jacket holds the rain out the longest. Used to be fluro yellow but has mellowed with age. The Rab Flashpoint isn't bad though for its weight. Good hood on it.

Greetz

S.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Endura pakajak, no hood (useless with helmet) but very good collar, held up in some nasty weather, not the most waterproof / breathable but for its tiny size and value I never ride without it, just incase

For hiking or real nasty weather I rotate between these:
Helikon Gunfighter
Helikon Trooper
TAD shagmaster
Arctyrex Leaf alpha
Though all very heavyweight and "military" for cycling, they are bombproof, and worth it if I see myself out in the worst wales can offer

and were gifts ofcourse...you think cycling clothing is expensive...
ton

Post by ton »

got a nice showers pass jacket for on the road where i dont go near brambles and barbed wire. double century model.
also got a cheap tough decathlon one for offroadind. it is ace.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-400- ... 02503.html
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Like most on here, I have loads of waterproofs, probably over a dozen

For road riding I have different jackets

For off roading it's been mainly a Montane Atomic, light yet vaguely robust. I'm really liking my berghaus hypersmock, but mainly as it packs down so ridiculously small. If I came off it wouldn't last at all, it's so thin it's translucent! Mind you, it's smaller and lighter than my windshirts. I seem too run too hot to wear paramo, which is a shame as I reckon it'd be great
Matt

Post by Matt »

Rab Demand Pull On :-bd

Best jacket eva!

Don't make em anymore though :sad:
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Montane minimus smock, very compact, very light, very breathable. The hood will even go under my helmet easily if the weather is really bad.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Arcteryx Beta LT.

it was cheap....ish. packs down pretty small, great build quality, well impressed with Goretex Pro. Hood design is good but not tried it with a helmet.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Arcteryx alpha fl as it was a freebie but would definitely buy another.

Haglofs active shell running jacket, great for most of my riding by it does have thumb loops, which irritatingly lets water trickle through into my gloves :roll: Still, was only £60 instead of £200ish :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Paramo quito - an exceptional bit of kit and I rarely say that. A bit heavier / warmer than the goretex offerings but totally waterproof (including in extreme rain!) and more breathable than anything else I've tried. You can put it on over wet base layers and they will dry out underneath it. You can also re-proof it endlessly and repair it if it gets ripped in a crash etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For when things get really damp.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Funny you should post that Stu....I saw a discarded bin liner with arm/head holes on the Hampersley forest road climb on Saturday. Only downside with 'em is breathability and flimsiness when encountering sharp stuff that lines the trails.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Funny you should post that Stu....I saw a discarded bin liner with arm/head holes on the Hampersley forest road climb on Saturday. Only downside with 'em is breathability and flimsiness when encountering sharp stuff that lines the trails.
I was once out with someone on one of those rare days when Wales isn't bathed in temperate sunshine. He'd got wet and was starting to get very, very cold. We were able to secure a few bin liners and with the aid of duct tape fabricated a bin liner suit. He wore it next to the skin with his wet gear over the top like a vapour barrier ... he might have been a bit sweaty by the time we returned but he was plenty warm enough :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Amazing what a bit of stewing in your own body sweat does! Image
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Really like the look of the montane atomic. Have seen it for 60 quid but this is a pick up in store with a loyalty card type deal. I also live miles away from any go outdoors stores. Ho hum. Maybe I will wait for mauve tuesday or whatever they are calling it this year.
Grubby little urchin.