Smart Phone GPS Logging App?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slugwash

Smart Phone GPS Logging App?

Post by slugwash »

I usually record my rides on Strava but always have trouble with the Strava app when on holiday, Wales being the only foreign country it seems to work in ;-)

Quite often the problem seems to be Strava logging me out when I'm on roaming, and refusing to let me log back in if there's no internet access, which there often isn't when I'm out in the desolate wilds of Northern France or Corfu!

Is there an app that will log rides on my smartphone, that doesn't need an account and will let me upload my recorded route to Strava when I get back to my computer in fair Albion?

Cheers,

Rich.
johnnystorm

Re: Smart Phone GPS Logging App?

Post by johnnystorm »

Back country navigator. Follow and record gpx files and download a locally stored copy of os maps. Or maps of just about anywhere. There is a trial version so you can try out all the features for a month.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Orux is good, if you are on android. On my iPhone I use GaiaGPS, I got it when the app was free a few years ago, still not too expensive though I don't think. Both work well as trackers, plenty of good OSM maps bundled plus you can import maps too, though not sure about OS.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hi slugwash.

I've tried a few, on both iPhone and android. (Disclaimer, I normally use my Garmin edge 500 for bike GPS logging duties).

If it's quality if data that you're after, I'm a big fan of the wahoo fitness app. Second I would say google tracks. The strava app (non premium member) I find pretty piss poor on the tracking/information given front.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Thanks guys. I've been a little too busy at work to try any of those out yet, but will attempt to test one out this afternoon, ready for my Chamonix trip this coming weekend.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I use view ranger app which has been really good. Can use free maps but I have downloaded OS maps.

I have a waterproof hard case on my bars that holds my IPhone. This is then charged via a battery that connect to my sp Dynamo.

Really good system and view ranger works well with this. You can transfer your routes to your computer or you can also email them to yourself if needed.

It's an app that is designed for hill walking and outdoors and I understand some mountain rescue teams use it to facilitate with their operations so should be good.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I've got the Viewranger app and didn't realise it would log tracks! I usually only use it to check possible routes when cycling in unfamiliar areas. I'll give it a whirl at lunchtime. Cheers.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ViewRanger and Locus Free are the two I use.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I used an app called cyclometer before I had s garmin.

It's pretty good
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

View ranger also has a 'buddy' logging system.

I've not used it myself, but I believe this is what mountain rescue use view ranger for.

I think it logs your position/route and sends a live feed back to other people that you choose that also have view ranger.
I suppose a bit like a spot tracker.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

IPBike is good if a little ratty looking. Programmed by someone I know, and if you have the hardware support in phone (or can get/use one of the Tacx dongles like I do) will connect to ANT+ speed/cadence/power sensors.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Wahoo fitness is the best I've found. Although I've just bought a garmin 520 so redundant now.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

My nephew was using Wahoo fitness for a while but on a number of occasions it stopped logging GPS data and only continued with heart rate and cadence. Investigation seemed to point to using the camera... which seemed to take the GPS signal away from Wahoo, and Wahoo didn't request it again (unlike Strava for instance, which seemed to handle it fine).