Tour Divide 2016

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: Tour Divide 2016

Post by GregMay »

jameso wrote:I used BMC and paid for racing coverage as I had concerns about the level of legal BS in the States as well as the cost of medical care. It's not a high-risk ride but if something does go wrong it's could be animal bite, drunk-driver or face-plant at 11,000ft related so I went for as full cover as I could get, then forgot about it. I'm not sure you'd get far by saying to insurance company legal guys that you weren't racing if they decided to use that point to minimise payments. The TD isn't a race oficially but as far as your actions go, or in reasonable use of the word, it's debateable either way.
It's not a race in that there are no official entry fees, or organisation behind it. But, if you go for the higer cover, you are covered for bike racing.

Thankfully The BMC have changed their insurance providers, we had issues with them 3 years ago when we had to fly home from Austria when my father died. Previously been medivaced from Uganda when I dislocated my shoulder on a kayaking trip on the White Nile. That was...interesting. First class flights home too - cost = zero.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I am with James, paid extra for the racing option in 2014, really didn't want to find out that I wasn't covered after an accident !
In the US it could be a very expensive mistake :???:
Having said that BMC now seem to have put their prices up, used Dogtag just recently and the cover is clearly
explained and cheaper than the BMC.

Andy
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just been made official, Guy Martin has announced he'll be racing this year :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

voodoo_simon wrote:Just been made official, Guy Martin has announced he'll be racing this year :-bd

Worst kept secret in the world. Jase is racing too.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

GregMay wrote:
voodoo_simon wrote:Just been made official, Guy Martin has announced he'll be racing this year :-bd

Certainly was the worst kept secret! Imagine being able to say you beat Guy in a bike race though, something to tell your mates in the pub :lol:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

That's if he bothers to turn up. :wink:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

voodoo_simon wrote:
GregMay wrote:

Certainly was the worst kept secret! Imagine being able to say you beat Guy in a bike race though, something to tell your mates in the pub :lol:

I've beaten Guy in a race. Please send me free things. I've also been beaten by Guy in other races. So maybe I should not get things?

Will be interesting, there is talk of a few of the other Older Statesmen of the Divide racing this year - so inevitably the weather will crap out :)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I've beaten Guy in a race. Please send me free things. I've also been beaten by Guy in other races. So maybe I should not get things
Swoon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jase? As in Rourke?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:
I've beaten Guy in a race. Please send me free things. I've also been beaten by Guy in other races. So maybe I should not get things
Swoon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jase? As in Rourke?
Jason Miles :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ah, I'm with you now :roll:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Imagine being able to say you beat Guy in a bike race though
Yes, only until they realise that you're talking about a push-bike : ) He's got a pretty good track record for pedalling though.
Going to be a great year for UK dot-watchers.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

GregMay wrote: I've beaten Guy in a race. Please send me free things. I've also been beaten by Guy in other races. So maybe I should not get things?
Ditto :grin:
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

Another UK dot to watch here... :-bd

I'd planned to do it in a couple of years time but it seemed a good time in my personal life to do it, and I've got so hacked off with my job recently that I've jacked it in (4 month notice period though...) and plan on being on the start line 10th June.

Lots to do and sort out in the meantime, next thing is to book flights!

How many Brits do we reckon are doing it then?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

flat_4 wrote: How many Brits do we reckon are doing it then?
I'm Irish ;)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Taylor wrote:That's if he bothers to turn up. :wink:
Don't come a knockin when the Transit is rockin!! :lol:
(If you can find it!)
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

GregMay wrote: I'm Irish ;)
Would I be right in saying that if you finish you would be the first irish person to set a time on the gdmbr.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Has anyone had a reply to their LOI? Not expecting much yet but someone on BP.net said they'd had a response to theirs...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Justchris wrote:
Would I be right in saying that if you finish you would be the first irish person to set a time on the gdmbr.
Possibly - although I'm not 100% on it. THere was a chap two years ago who was going to start (same year as I had planned originally) but he sort of ...well didn't finish.

Kevin (Blackhound) of this Parish, you're of Irish descent aren't you? Not sure if you're ROI or NI though!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

johnnystorm wrote:Has anyone had a reply to their LOI? Not expecting much yet but someone on BP.net said they'd had a response to theirs...
I've not, pretty sure Matt is probably juggling kids and life as normal. Not worried to much TBH, just going to turn up :)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:Has anyone had a reply to their LOI? Not expecting much yet but someone on BP.net said they'd had a response to theirs...
I've not, pretty sure Matt is probably juggling kids and life as normal. Not worried to much TBH, just going to turn up :)
That might just mean both our emails floundered and we're both missing out on essential coms! :o
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

GregMay wrote:
Justchris wrote:
Possibly - although I'm not 100% on it. THere was a chap two years ago who was going to start (same year as I had planned originally) but he sort of ...well didn't finish.

Kevin (Blackhound) of this Parish, you're of Irish descent aren't you? Not sure if you're ROI or NI though!
The guy who started was Scott harkins. He pretty much didn't cycle more than 60miles before he tackled the TD. It was a charity run and a bit of a jolly for him. And he was originally from Paisley. And married an irish girl. So he was scottish in my eyes.

It's funny. I differentiate myself as 'northern irish' as I was brought up during the troubles, and had a very different upbringing to say my friends in monaghan or cork. When it comes to sport I am always right behind the person or team from the emerald Isle. That's why over the next five months I am going to try and convince you to run with gears! As I always want the Irish person to do as well as possible!!! ;) and not be bogged down by a silly single speed!!!

By the way people called 'kevin' from the north or the south probably consider themselves 'irish'! Greg, you can tell your a southerner!

Best of luck.

Chris
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

GregMay wrote:
I got an email from him pretty much by return. That was on 22nd December, so maybe he was just sat there waiting for them to come in.

I can forward it on if you're interested?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Justchris wrote:
By the way people called 'kevin' from the north or the south probably consider themselves 'irish'! Greg, you can tell your a southerner!

Best of luck.

Chris
Chris. I'm from the Republic of Ireland, a country that worked in many ways (right and wrong) to become a republic. I'm proud of being from the Republic. Please don't try to assume you know anything about my past, or my beliefs by labelling me as southern, you may as well have called me Fenian - I could make more than one assumption because you label yourself as northern, but I won't because that is not fair, or right.

I come from a family half ROI half NI.My wife is from the borders and grew up with an RUC + Army checkpoint in her front garden. I also grew up during the troubles, wasn't it fun.

They are two separate countries. The emerald isle is not a sovereign nation, it's a nice concept, but still far far from the truth. We both come from a divided country that has stupid views across borders that are in many way as pointless as all the killings. However, they are borders.

I couldn't care less who the first Irish/ROI/NI person was to finish the Divide. It really doesn't mean a thing.

EDIT - Chris, I'm not trying to be a dick - this is something that really irks me.

Back on topic -
Flat_4 - I'm sure Matt will send others on in time. It's not like you have to be accepted to race.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

After some offline consideration (and hugging) with Chris I've suggested the title of:

"first person from the 32 counties that make up the island of Ireland to have finished the Divide".

I'm pretty sure it won't be me who get's it :)

Have a nice video from Eurovision star Dustin the Turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxnrHHp-j7s

I'll stop being sensitive now.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sorry to burst your emerald green bubble Greg but Kevin (Blackhound) is definitely Irish, I've seen his passport when we did the trans Pyrenees. I think he's from the south west around Cork. He finished the divide about 5-6 years ago. You'll simply have to aim to be the first Irishman to win the Tour Divide instead.