Tour Divide 2016

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pkht

Re: Tour Divide 2016

Post by pkht »

Tom just finished ahead of schedule in 18 days, 15 hours and 49 minutes.

Fantastic effort! :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Yes, excellent ride from Tom. averaged 145 miles per day. That was the most I managed in a day the year I rode. Gregory is past Pie Town so could be done in two long days.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Bravo Tom!! :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Great ride Tom!!
JezS

Post by JezS »

vaguely exciting news on recent finishers, Greg getting fixed up and back on track etc...

but...what news of Mr Storm?? - I can understand if he's been holed up in Salida for a while...that place is great and has many breakfast burritos to sample!!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

JezS wrote:vaguely exciting news on recent finishers, Greg getting fixed up and back on track etc...

but...what news of Mr Storm?? - I can understand if he's been holed up in Salida for a while...that place is great and has many breakfast burritos to sample!!
He's in New Mexico, 60 miles before Abiquiu. Looks like he'll be breakfast for the dogs of Vallecitos.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but...what news of Mr Storm??
All words back so far seemed to involve eating ... I'm wondering whether he's ballooned in size and is stuck inside a diner or gas station unable to fit back through the door :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Heh...Mr Storm will kick himself when he gets up the hill in the morning to find the Hopewell Lake campground where there's running water, a crapper, benches to sleep on, etc. That's a big road he's sleeping on the side of.

Greetz

S.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Been out of the loop for a bit on this, work has been busy, so little dot watching!

Cheers for the updates everyone, I'll be back on it tomorrow and congratulations to all those who have finished so far :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

There was NO way I'd have made it to Hopewell. Besides, our spot was great and there was no traffic at all despite the size of the road!

Stopped at Sylvia's for breakfast, Vallecitos had us prepped with bear spray and there was one dog, a pekingese yapping behind a fence!

Having a short day but have things planned to meet my 25 day target. Wifi and signal has been terrible of late!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The run up to Brazos Ridge was fun.....
Peanut Butter
Peanut Butter
pixlr_20160629195150666.jpg (115.36 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
Mart

Post by Mart »

2924 miles per Gallon
atk

Post by atk »

Looks like it's pretty much downhill all the way for Greg now. Wonder if he'll get the whole thing done by the end of the day (US time anyway...)
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Chances are much bigger you get run into/over by a car/truck/lorry then attacked (not necessarily killed) by a bear riding the TD.
Before my girlfriend and I hiked and packrafted through Canadian and Alaskan bush and mountains we read https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-Cau ... 158574557X.
We saw two bears in three months, despite seeing loads of fresh tracks, scat and other signs... we made some noise :mrgreen:
atk

Post by atk »

Richard G wrote:Anyone have a bike spec for Mike Hall? I just saw an article on STW about him and his bike is a sexy thing indeed.
http://reviews.mtbr.com/fastest-bike-at ... t-les-29er
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

"...this year Hall ran a Race Face 38-tooth chainring mated to an 11-speed 11-40 XTR cassette..."

I can't imagine pushing a ring that sized up some of those hills...it was testing enough on a 34T.

Greetz

S.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Cheers guys! It was an vaguely exciting experience. Now taking on the challenge of completing the buffet breakfast at the hotel in El Paso.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Javi wrote:Does anyone know why he's not riding on single speed?
Hi Javi
There are some routes where singlespeed is an advantage (arguably the Highland Trail when it's wet), there are some where it's a slight disadvantage and some where it's a massive disadvantage.
The Tour Divide comes into the latter category because of the flat/slightly downhill sections which go on forever.
I found it enough of a mental challenge with gears. Huge respect to the guys who have done it singlespeed. I rode with Dean Anderson a bit and he is one incredibly tough cookie.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done Tom, enjoy your bumper brekky!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done Tom :grin:

Did we get to the truth behind Guy Smith / Terry Martin? I see a post on FB proclaiming a TD finish in 18 days, 6 hours by Guy Martin but surely, if he was Terry Smith, then all the detours, deviations, etc mean the time doesn't count? :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

TS's time won't be official for the route. But he should go home, learn to follow the GPS and give it a good shove next year.

And @Tom - great ride fella...strong performance.

Greetz

S.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

NewRetroTom wrote:Cheers guys! It was an vaguely exciting experience. Now taking on the challenge of completing the buffet breakfast at the hotel in El Paso.
Well done that man! I'm hoping to finish on the 4th July (I'll get fireworks then!).

Just had some very good Mexican food at Bruno's in Cuba. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Many congratulations to Tom. Greg May has just 7.7 miles to go. He posted a few tweets earlier today, they were waiting at Separ for heavy rain to pass: "We're drinking coffee in rocking chairs. Racing is tough" so sounds like he's in high spirits.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Nice ride tom :-bd

There is now a bouncing Greg at Antelope Wells. Top stuff
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

johnnystorm is in Cuba and staying at the same gaff I did in 2011. I arrived just before closing at 11pm and got a room and ate at the gas station across the road.

Mostly tarmac to Pie Town (except gravel road 41(?) into town and onto Beaverhead WS so should be good progress for him for next 2-3 days.