Lake District Route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregV

Lake District Route

Post by GregV »

Anyone got any route advice for a Lake District trip? I'm intending to start in Staveley & looking for a route of about 80km. I've plotted a route which heads along High Street to Patterdale, Boredale Hause, Howtown, Askham, Swindale, Mosedale, Longsleddale, Staveley Head. I've no idea how rideable the off-road sections are as I've only ridden & walked very small sections of it! I'm intending to bivi out along the route so any bivi spot tips also gratefully accepted. Cheers
Zippy

Re: Lake District Route

Post by Zippy »

I don't know anything really about this neck of the woods, but I'm gonna suggest half the Lakeland 200?

Boxelder will be along soon to help!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Just remember that the hills are big and stick some lines on a map. All part of the fun.

Your mentioned points sound like you'll have a LOT of climbing so be ready and enjoy
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Hint would be to take the classic NanBlied route, then add to it.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Going off what you've posted it's pretty much all rideable, the notable exceptions are the push up to High St & the boggy section after Mosedale Cottage. There's a route in the v-graphics Lake District mtb guide that's very similar to the one you describe but it doesn't go to Patterdale.
Don't know how experienced you are in riding in the Lakes, but if you're planning on going up onto anywhere like High Street you need to keep one eye on the weather, wind & visibility especially.
There's loads of great riding up there, but if the weather is bad i wouldn't go up anywhere high. You could do something like a loop round Windermere instead & maybe even as far as Cartmel.
Staveley- Ambleside- Claife Heights- Newby Bridge then back up the East side of Windermere is about 75km. You could head over to Hawkshead & Grizedale Forest, or as mentioned a loop to Cartmel if you wanted to extend things.
Coniston- The Langdales- Elterwater- Hodge Close would also be good, also some routes out of Keswick.

Boxelder is really your man for the area but i could probably help out with a route if he doesn't see this.

When are you thinking about going?
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I grew up in the Cartmel Fell area so know the area reasonably well.

For a low level route from Staveley try:

High Borrans - Dubbs reservoir - Troutbeck - Jenkin Crag - Ambleside - Loughrigg - Elterwater - Little -Langdale - Hodge Close - Knipe Fold - either west side of Grizedale Forest and down to Finsthwaite OR Hawkshead - Claife Heights and down to Finsthwaite; - Newby Bridge - (the other) Staveley - Simpson Ground - Cartmel Fell - Underbarrow - Staveley.

If you want to extend this south to Cartmel then turn south at Newby Bridge - Brow Edge - Speel Bank - Cartmel - Hampsfell - Lindale - Witherslack - Crosthwaite - Underbarrow.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Am I that predictable.... :oops:
As has been posted, your route sounds good, if you want to get to quieter areas and don't mind pushing. Grim if poor weather though and the Swindale/Longsleddle bits are very boggy.
Again, as has been said, following the lakeland 200 http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/routes/Lakeland200.html to the Duddon Valley, then doubling back from Broughton Moor (after Walna Scar) or Duddon Valley and working your way back through by Blawith, Cunsey and the Windermere ferry. Message me and I'll send a gpx.
If you do trains, you could ride from Staveley to Ravenglass (following the Lakeland 200 and Esk trail) and then get the train from R'Glass?
GregV

Post by GregV »

Cheers for all the suggestions - what a bloody brilliant forum :-bd . Think there's enough there to keep me busy for a fair while! I'm heading there today (I've handed over the route planning to someone else, but still looks like Mosedale is on the cards) & really looking forward to it :smile: