Bushed handlebars

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Re: Bushed handlebars

Post by Charliecres »

Having done lots of rigid riding, I continue to be astonished by how comfortable my Stooge is. I'd say it's less battering over small bumps than most bikes I've ridden with a sus fork. All the following contribute to some degree:

* Geometry (high front end and short chainstays especially)
* 29+ tyre on a Dually at approx 11psi
* Swept back bar (On-One OG)

There is a bit more drag from the big tyre but I'm happy to live with that. If I was racing on a smooth course I might swap the front tyre for something skinnier.

Well done for trying out new stuff, Ben, but I'm not convinced: a) I don't like the idea of putting something squashy in between two bits of the bike that need to be firmly connected and b) I think there are better ways of achieving your aim (see above).

Prove us all wrong :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I like the creative thinking, but it's a bit like suspension hubs in the 90s - hub shells supported by elasomers that isolated the axle. Bad idea as any vertical movement also means twist and deflection, not what I'd want in a bar-stem interface. Some carbon bars are suprisingly flexy, they may do the job you're after.
When i underinflated my tires after a puncture on the Capital Trail, it felt like wading through treacle when compared to my usual 30-40psi range (2.25 tires on flows). Also, larger tires weigh more where saving weight is most important, so if by adding a few grams here and there I can emulate that comfort without increasing rolling resistance and rotating weight, I see that as a worthy thing to do!
It may feel softer or sluggish but lower pressure tyres mean a bike with less rolling resistance off-road, plus the comfort is better. Pneumatic tyres are really great things : ) 2.25s on flows at 35psi is pretty high, no wonder you're looking for ways to add comfort..

Charlieacres makes a good point - most of bike comfort, or at least the greatest gains, comes from positioning. I believe the main driver for sus forks in the 90s was the need for comfort and control due to the daft head-down, bars over front axles position that most bikes put the rider in. What feels racy and fast isn't always actually fast, same as high pressure tyres off-road.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think if you could get a proper metelastic bush in there it would work a bit and you could clamp the stem up properly but for bar dias you'd need a stem with a 50mm dia clamp and the bush would have to be a solid press fit on the bars. A lot of work for not a huge amount of gain....

I thought flex stems were great - simple and idiot proof for a reasonable increase in comfort. Much better than the first generation of utterly poor show suspension forks. A mate converted his flex stem so it ran on two ball races and it was amazing. Hmm I still have one somewhere....