TMB in September

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

TMB in September

Post by gairym »

Afternoon all,

There's been a few mentions in a few different threads about the idea of a doing a bikepacking Tour of Mont Blanc this year.

I did it last year and definitely plan on doing it again this year and so if it works out that there's enough interest we could form a little group to have a pop at it together.

As I've mentioned before September is the best time as before July there could well still be snow up high (though it could possibly snow up high anytime as there are a few places the route tops out above 2500m), July/August the trails will be rammed with hikers (and there are certain trails off limits to bikers in those months) and so September should still have good weather but be relatively quiet.

I live 150m from the route and so am happy to have a few folks park here (and there's other parking nearby if our drive gets too full), camp in the garden before/after and maybe leave kit here etc...

In the back of my mind I'd like to arrange a proper group start ITT of the TMB route for next year and so something like this for a smaller group would be a good way to see how things might work.

I think it'd take between 3-5 days (2 if you're an actual racing type) depending on how long you want to ride each day, how good your climbing legs are and whether you wanted to stay in B&Bs or wild camp etc...

Ok, I'll leave it at that for now and see if there's any interest before starting to talk about precise dates etc...

Cheers, Gairy.
ianfitz

Re: TMB in September

Post by ianfitz »

I would love to, but need to check permissions at home...

a definate maybe then :-/
Chew

Post by Chew »

Interested too.

Would need to check for dates etc...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hmm, 170k route with 10k ascent. Interested!
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I would be interested, depends on the dates
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I could be interested depending on dates.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Definitely interested. I've booked 14th - 22nd September off work with a view to doing this, and other riding stuff in the area (but am also getting pressure to do Lisbon - Santander instead). I've got some flexibility on dates, but early September is out for me.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm interested. I've done it over 3 days before (~24 hours of riding). I'd be happy to go round in 5 if there was a group ride.

If there's an ITT in 2016 I'd like to get round sub 24. :grin:

Last week in August is the latest I could do it to fit in with school holidays though.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Yes interested in this...
slarge

Post by slarge »

Very interested, but I'm getting worried that this bike packing ITT thing might start to become a part time job (without the benefit of getting paid). Would need to pick the dates very carefully though to avoid a lot of damage at home......
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hi,
I was one of those interested too but I'm back to UK by the end of August, so it's a no for me.
As you said, now I'm not sure to do it as July and August will be packed.
Plenty of choices, though.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Date depending I also might be up for it gairy.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Hello all,

Really great that a load of people are potentially up for it!

I'm gonna provisionally say that the two weekends that work this end are:

- Sat/Sun 5/6th September (Maybe arriving Thursday, set off Friday and finish when we finish - most likely Sunday/Monday).

- Sat/Sun 26/27th September (Same plan as above).

If the above dates don't work for you then you're still welcome to use ours as a base before/after and maybe leave a car and/or gear here if you fancy having a pop at it another time.

I'm just waiting to hear back from a local MTB guide fella who used to do TMB trips about which variation on the route he thinks is best (I did the normal walking route and there were some really evil hike-a-bike bits) and so will post a final route once sorted.

Ok, let's see if those dates work for folks (sorry, I can't remember who's said what about what works and when).

Cheers, Gairy.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

My free dates are 11th-22nd September so, unfortunately, those weekends don't work for me. I was thinking of flying out to Geneva from Bristol on the 11th and returning on the 21st, either doing a longer bivi camping TMB with small tangents off route in Switzerland and Italy, or doing the TMB sandwiched between time spent in the Chamonix Valley for some day rides, or extra overnighters. The possibility of leaving a bike bag at your house Gari, and maybe doing a ride or two would be great :-)

Anyone else around during 11th - 21st ?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I cant make september, too much happening here. I'd love a gpx of your intended route to go have a go at a suitable time though.

Have fun those that go.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Update: A slight shift from my original dates - I'll be arriving in Chamonix on Wednesday 16th September, hanging around in the vicinity until my friend arrives on the Friday, starting the TMB on Saturday 19th and arriving back in Chamonix by the following Wednesday if any one wants to join us for a laid back, TMB with fresh air, bivouac accommodation. :-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Cool, I'll send you the .gpx track as soon as I have it if you want (you may have a route sorted already)?

I'm home alone with the kids for a week over those dates but you're welcome to come over for a beer one evening before/after.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Evening all,

Not been much action in this thread lately and time's slowly moving on so I thought I'd poke the forum and see if people are still up for this???

Obviously nothing is set in stone but it'd be good to pencil in a weekend and the flights will only get more expensive the longer people leave it.

Ok, let me know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.....

Cheers, Gairy.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Obviously nothing is set in stone but it'd be good to pencil in a weekend and the flights will only get more expensive the longer people leave it.

Hi Gari,

My Easyjet flight was £137 return from Bristol including the bike, so not too bad. But like you say, they probably won't be getting any cheaper.

As mentioned , I'm doing the TMB whilst you're on childcare duty, but would like to come over for a beer^^^^ and chat, and get some local info. Would it be possible to leave my bike bag at your house whilst I'm in the area? I 'll probably stay at a campsite either side of the TMB but will be sleeping under a tarp, so won't be leaving a tent with my stuff in like some other mountain folk do when they leave the Valley for a few days.
Also, do you have a GPX yet? I've got the IGN maps from a previous visit, so should really get around to highlighting the route with a marker pen. :-)
Chew

Post by Chew »

Rich, When were you going?
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Hi Matt,

I'll be arriving in Chamonix on Wednesday 16th September, but may wait a couple of days before starting the TMB, I'm then leaving the following Thursday (I think?). You're more than welcome to come along if you think you're up to it :wink:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Thanks Rich, but works going to get in the way at that time of year :cry:

Late August works for me if anyone is planning on going then?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Chew wrote:Thanks Rich, but works going to get in the way at that time of year :cry:

Late August works for me if anyone is planning on going then?
I'd been considering it. Late august is generally better for me too. Stil deciding between scotland for the top end of the HT and the TMB
gairym

Post by gairym »

Let me check re: the legality of the TMB in august as that could work for me.
Bike Man

Post by Bike Man »

I'm interested depending on if the dates can be fixed. Then I can arrange time off from work & arrange flights/transfers or if anybody wants to share a car there & back or hire one at the airport then please let me know.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Wanted: White rear 135mm wide hub Halo Tornado Wheel 26"