Your favourite trail

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ed1

Your favourite trail

Post by Ed1 »

Hi all,

I had the great privilege to be able to ride the trail from Dundonnell to Poolewe at the weekend. It was a bit wet and windy but on the descent to Carnmore something happened, I had one of 'those' moments. The track isn't particularly technical, far from it, but as I descended and reached the switch backs I caught my first glance of the loch and had to stop.

I don't want to get all evangelical but it was amazing, there was no where else I'd have rather been at that time. 'Those' moments remind me why I love MTBing, that descent is all I've thought about all day today. So looking forward now to the HT550.

Anyway, I was wondering where everyone else has had 'those' moments? Is there any piece of trail, uphill or down, any sweet piece of single track that makes the hairs on your neck stand on end?

I'm curious because I'd love to visit them.

Ed
AlasdairMc

Re: Your favourite trail

Post by AlasdairMc »

Every time I ride the Lairig an Laoigh and see Glen Derry open out in front of me is a particular favourite.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thanks Alasdair, I must ride that.
I've only just started exploring more Scottish riding, it's a long way for us midlanders but well worth the effort.

I was in Blair Athol on Saturday ready to start the CL but forgot to load the route to my GPS. Idiot. Sounds like it was horrendous conditions!

Looking forward to the HT now, see you in Tyndrum

Ed
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ed1 wrote:Thanks Alasdair, I must ride that.
I've only just started exploring more Scottish riding, it's a long way for us midlanders but well worth the effort.

I was in Blair Athol on Saturday ready to start the CL but forgot to load the route to my GPS. Idiot. Sounds like it was horrendous conditions!

Looking forward to the HT now, see you in Tyndrum

Ed
You should have said something - I carry two GPS devices, my Edge as a bike computer and for logging and an eTrex for mapping, so you could have had one of them for the ride.

In terms of good experiences in Scotland, this is why the HTR is such a good ride - all the best riding in Scotland in one single route. In terms of magic moments, the descent off the Bealach Horn as well, I hit it at about 8pm and the scene opening up was a real 'wow' moment.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Glen gairn single track which runs parallel to and just north of the dee valley. Access from the track which climbs up from Linn of Quoich and a path up through the woods not marked on the map. You eventually join the CL double track from Loch builg over the bump to Braemar via the worlds dodgiest footbridge. Ace narrow techy nadgery rocky single track all downhill and so far off the rad dudes radar. Can be done as nice day ride from Ballater or a great alternative to the more common CL outer loop route to Loch builg.