WRT 2015 ... so it begins.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

WRT 2015 ... so it begins.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, it rained and the rain brought along its good friend, the wind. By 8.00am I'd managed to destroy 2 gazebos, the parking field was begining to get a little soggy and then it started sleeting ... even though there were over 160 entrants, it's really no surprise that nearly 1/3 of them decided to spend their weekend doing something else.

The weather did eventually take a turn for the better and Taylor got the 'weigh in underway' (although, it would have to be conducted outdoors due to the gazebo incident). Congratulations to Zippy, whos weight of 31.5lb for bike / kit scooped him the much coveted 'lightest bike award', a pork pie and probably means he's in for a very cold couple of days.

WRT lore dictates that if you're not there to claim your prize then it goes to someone else. With so many abscent, there were lots of prices going to 'someone else'. The Stooge frame and fork eventually going to the third name drawn ... just think, maybe it was your name that was drawn first but you were scared of the rain so missed out :wink: Although, I'm sure someone will remember whos name was drawn first ... and they'll probably want to let you know.

Ingenuity and enthusiasm are often to be seen at the start of the WRT ... I thought these two captured the spirit.

The forecast says the weekend is set to improve but until then I'm sure the bothies will be heaving, so it should be a very sociable weekend out there.

If you braved the conditions and made the start, well done ... I think this year T shirt sums it up :-bd

May the bridges you burn light your way
Shalarim

Re: WRT 2015 ... so it begins.

Post by Shalarim »

Good luck to everyone. I'm one of the ones that decided to avoid the rain (and have been moping around the house all day), I joked when we made the choice to not come that that guaranteed that my name would be pulled out for the stooge :cry:

Shalarim (Mike Hardman)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The 650+ in the second photo, I built that I did. Currently sat in the dry and warm with a nice glass of red nursing my recently operated-on knee.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Mike

Post by Mike »

Im more gutted now than before coz I missed out on a t shirt. The best yet I reckon stu :grin:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'm gutted about the t shirt and the stooge.... :mrgreen:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

https://flic.kr/p/srkF8f
I hope the Alpkit prizes are worth the Tussocks from this morning.

I'm off down to Aberystwyth for Fish and Chips to celibrate (just found a pub with wifi) then up to Nant Yr Arian for a bivi at the top of the trails somewhere.

Great event even in the mountain drizzle.
I saw the sun once this morning as well.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Bloody hell John...... you'll be a major shareholder in Alpkit by the end of tomorrow... :grin:
Any more returnees with tales to entertain us (non runners and riders) yet?
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Steady stream of 'Lite' riders returning throughout the day ... most smiling and soggy. Weather seems to be on the mend and tomorrow looks set to be sunny :-bd
Singlecrack

Post by Singlecrack »

Great couple of days ..dispute the weather....bit stiff going for ss though .....more Teet next time . :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Wild camping at it's best

https://flic.kr/p/ruTNhU

At The George Burrow at Ponterwyd
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Great pub.....and top points for the camp spot :cool:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

JohnClimber wrote:Wild camping at it's best

https://flic.kr/p/ruTNhU

At The George Burrow at Ponterwyd
Wild Wales indeed!

http://georgeborrow.org/literature/wildWales.html
Clink

Post by Clink »

We had a great 2 days on the lite. When we hit the rally signs we were a tad concerned, but turned into a real positive. Spent agates chatting to marshals in a couple of spots who were very friendly and great at suggesting alternative routes. One then mentioned that back at the rally HQ there was a bar....

Well it would have been rude not too! We rocked up at the marquee - they invited us and our bikes inside. Pie/chips/peas/gravy washed down with a couple of pints did very nicely! They couldn't have been more friendly (lots of interest in the Stooges) - tried to get us to stay in the marquee!

Every person we bumped into on the hill over 2 days was very friendly - restablished our faith in humanity! Even an old farming couple on the way back apologised as 2 gates we opened should have not been closed in the first place!

Great ride, fantastic people, outstanding scenery....and interesting weather :-)

Cheers Stuart!
Harre Hart

Post by Harre Hart »

I just dropepd by saturday at the start to have a chat with Stuart.
I was surprised to see so many riders were turning up!
Hope all went well for everybody ;-)
Very nice event!
Dainiusd

Post by Dainiusd »

Probably the best BB event I had so far. Great night in Nant Syddion bothy and amazing company!
Took some photos when it wasn't raining.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I set off from home on Saturday morning with little enthusiam and not much more as I headed out towards Hafren. Bumped into Ben and Nick from Alpkit - Ben and made a Rig7 into a awning for the 'van for us recently - and we had a chat and I began to brighten up. We bumped into the rally and so I rode with Paul, Viv, Andy and Cody for a while had a chat with Andy & Jane at the top of the hill and I was really starting to enjoy myself. Nice evening in Nant Rhys bothy except that I was really cold having cut down on my sleeping kit. A bit of an experiment that back fired. I was also unable to find my stove that I had secreted in a safe place but Andy let me his as I had plenty of fuel.

As I was cold and had no stove decided to head back after a lunch at Elan Valley visitor centre. On way back bumped into 3 people and had a long chat with two of them who had spent 5+ months in NZ and California. Found the stove when I was unpacking in a pocket I didn't think was big enough for it!

Supposed to be an easy weekend riding between 2 big events but did to much perhaps and was really tired by the end.

One of things I enjoy about the BB events is catching up with various folks 2/3 times a year who all live across the country. It is almost the social side I am enjoying more than the riding (or pushing over tussocks). So thanks to Stu and Dee for the event and I love you all.
Hoojum

Post by Hoojum »

Once again a great event this weekend. Looking forward to the weigh in results to see how I faired against last year.

*tanoy* Taylor to the forum please, Taylor to the forum.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

All weights were left with Stuart and Dee.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll get onto it as soon as I can be arsed :-bd
Hoojum

Post by Hoojum »

s8tannorm wrote:
Very honest of you Stu
Ian

Post by Ian »

s8tannorm wrote:
Maybe the prize for lightest bike should be to coordinate the results. I'm sure Zippy would do a great job, with graphs and everything*

*may not include everything.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Are you after any particular metrics in particular Ian? :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Given that only weight was recorded, I guess there's not much you can do other than take an average. Perhaps a graph showing % of overall average weight?

Might have been interesting to see how many rigid bikes/ singlespeeds/ IHG/ 26/ 39/ Fat bikes there were. Image So many options, so little time...