Newbie Kit List

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Newbie Kit List

Post by ootini »

Hi all,

I'm planning some bike packing trips now the weather is looking better (or at least it was). Anything between 1 and 3 night trips I reckon, and I'll be on a CX / road bike in North Wales, so will probably be in campsites, friendly farmer's fields or possibly beer gardens. I'm trying to do this on the cheap too, so I'm avoiding super lightweight super posh kit. I was wondering if you guys would mind running your wise eyes over my kit list and see if you can spot any obvious errors or suggest things I should not bother with etc? As a bit of background, I'll be riding a Ridley Xbow wearing Conti road tyres, it's got a cheapo rear rack and mini front rack (it has carbon forks so full front low riders were a no-no). If i get in to bikepacking then I may well invest in better gear in the future, I like the look of the Apidura gear but it's quite expensive. For more info, I've set up a little blog detailing my efforts at bike packing on a budget: https://bikepackingonabudget.wordpress.com/

Thanks very much.

*Rack top*
Tent inner in dry bag
Tent pole

*Front mini rack*
Tent fly & pegs in dry bag

*Left rear pannier*
Sleeping bag
Sleeping mat
Small knife

*Right rear pannier*
Clothes in dry bag:
1 Zip off walking pants
1 Hiking socks
1 boxers
1 lightweight fleece
1 t-shirt
Wash kit
1 toothpaste
1 toothbrush
1 deodorant
1 Vango stove + gas pot
1 Windshield wrap
1 Small pan
1 Travel mug
1 wet wipes

*On bike*
1 Cycle computer
1 pair lights
Pump
750ml water bottle in cage 1
Lock (wrapped around seat post)
1st aid kit inc insect rep (strapped to bar/stem)
Tool piss bottle in cage 2:
2 spare tubes
1 Multitool
2 Tyre levers
n Cable ties

*On rider*
1 Cycling shorts
1 Cycling jersey
1 Cycling socks
1 Cycling shoes
1 Cycle helmet
1 Shower proof jacket (jersey pocket)
1 pr Cycling gloves
1 pr Cycling sun glasses
Phone
benp1

Re: Newbie Kit List

Post by benp1 »

Do you really need the following?
- zip off trousers
- wet wipes (unless
- knife (unless its a multitool)

What are you doing for food? You only have the ability to carry 750ml of water, that wouldn't be enough for my set up

Is a shower proof jacket enough? Waterproof maybe?

How warm is your fleece? If it is a 100wt then I'd be a bit cold

Money?
Maps?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

While lists like this look like a lot of gear most peoples "light weight" list wouldn't look too much different as there's a minimum you are likely to take: toolkit; spares; FA kit; etc.

I wouldn't bother with the deodorant - this will be confirmed by my wife!, or even the wash kit as a quick wash down with water from a beck/stream is enough. For an overnighter I wouldn't bother with the toothbrush and paste either. Try and have items that double up.

After a while the question becomes not "what do I need?" but "what can I leave behind?" However you have stove and pan and mug but no fork or spoon!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'd not take the stove if I was going anywhere near a pub / chippy.

Lights, only if I was going riding in the dark.

Wouldn't take the trousers, but a pair of (synthetic) trackie bottoms.

I'd add to the list a gilet, or thin puffa type jacket.
ootini

Post by ootini »

benp1 wrote:Do you really need the following?
- zip off trousers
- wet wipes (unless

What are you doing for food? You only have the ability to carry 750ml of water, that wouldn't be enough for my set up

Money?
Maps?
Hey thanks for the input. I'll respond point by point.
As I'll be riding the road bike I'll be in lycra shorts, and could do with something a little looser, more comfortable for the evenings.
The wet wipes I figured were just an easy way of keeping slightly clean I guess. If for some reason I had to faff with the chain, I'd rather not be covered in grease.
The knife is only in there as I always thought "when in the country, have a knife". You're right though, I'm struggling to think of what I'd actually use it for.
With regards to the water, I do have the option of adding another 750ml bottle and cage on the seat tube, but was just concerned with keeping weight down. As I'll be touring on the road, it's unlikely I'd ever be too far from civilisation, and a tap to refill the bottle.
The fleece is just a standard berghaus type jobbie, nothing posh. As I said, this is fair weather / summer touring and camping. Would a down jacket be a better idea? I'm just concerned about space at this point.
I probably wouldn't bother with a map (famous last words?). I know the general areas pretty well and I'll have a phone for GPS should we get really lost.
Money I'll just be stuffing in a spare pocket
ootini

Post by ootini »

whitestone wrote:While lists like this look like a lot of gear most peoples "light weight" list wouldn't look too much different as there's a minimum you are likely to take: toolkit; spares; FA kit; etc.

I wouldn't bother with the deodorant - this will be confirmed by my wife!, or even the wash kit as a quick wash down with water from a beck/stream is enough. For an overnighter I wouldn't bother with the toothbrush and paste either. Try and have items that double up.

After a while the question becomes not "what do I need?" but "what can I leave behind?" However you have stove and pan and mug but no fork or spoon!
Fair point, the deodorant can go. I don't mind being "on the nose" a bit.
Must admit though, I've got a bit of an OCD thing about brushing my teeth in the morning, I simply can't function until I've done it.
The stove / pan combo was simply so I could make a brew in the mornings, again it's a bit like the teeth brushing, it's a necessity for my brain to work.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Richpips wrote:I'd not take the stove if I was going anywhere near a pub / chippy.

Lights, only if I was going riding in the dark.

Wouldn't take the trousers, but a pair of (synthetic) trackie bottoms.

I'd add to the list a gilet, or thin puffa type jacket.
Again the stove is for the morning brew if nothing else.
The rear light is, in my opinion, essential on the North Wales country roads, especially at dusk, we get so many nutters caning it round here in daft little hatch backs it's unreal. The front light probably won't be used much but can be clipped off and used as a camp torch. I just thought instead of taking a basic torch I might as well take something that "could" be attached to the bike if required.
Good point on the trousers, trackie bottoms may be more comfy and possibly lighter.
I might swap the fleece for a thin down jacket maybe.

Ta
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Don't worry, I wasn't being critical just putting forward ideas. We all have our little necessities - I have to have something that can act as a pillow for example otherwise I struggle to sleep. It can be anything from a rope on an alpine bivouac to all my clothes stacked up in a pile.
ootini

Post by ootini »

whitestone wrote:Don't worry, I wasn't being critical just putting forward ideas. We all have our little necessities - I have to have something that can act as a pillow for example otherwise I struggle to sleep. It can be anything from a rope on an alpine bivouac to all my clothes stacked up in a pile.
Ah don't worry, I'm all up for advice!
I figured for a pillow I could just shove stuff inside on of the smaller dry bags, probably the jacket if I'm not using it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just try it. If something doesn't work then try and figure a way to fix it/get round it. I'd be surprised if anyone came back from a trip and though they'd got everything spot on and couldn't be improved.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ootini wrote:
benp1 wrote:Do you really need the following?
- zip off trousers
- wet wipes (unless

Money?
Maps?
Hey thanks for the input. I'll respond point by point.
As I'll be riding the road bike I'll be in lycra shorts, and could do with something a little looser, more comfortable for the evenings.
The wet wipes I figured were just an easy way of keeping slightly clean I guess. If for some reason I had to faff with the chain, I'd rather not be covered in grease.
The knife is only in there as I always thought "when in the country, have a knife". You're right though, I'm struggling to think of what I'd actually use it for.
With regards to the water, I do have the option of adding another 750ml bottle and cage on the seat tube, but was just concerned with keeping weight down. As I'll be touring on the road, it's unlikely I'd ever be too far from civilisation, and a tap to refill the bottle.
The fleece is just a standard berghaus type jobbie, nothing posh. As I said, this is fair weather / summer touring and camping. Would a down jacket be a better idea? I'm just concerned about space at this point.
I probably wouldn't bother with a map (famous last words?). I know the general areas pretty well and I'll have a phone for GPS should we get really lost.
Money I'll just be stuffing in a spare pocket
Zip off trousers might be fine then, but might be a little bulky heavy? I usually wear waterproof trousers in the evening, dual use!

I like carrying a knife, but I'm more likely to use scissors or pliers than a knife

Maybe just a fold up water bottle then, unless 750ml is enough for you? Coffee before bed, coffee in the morning and that's 750ml gone...

Fleece is probably fine then, at a guess its 100wt or 200wt. A thin down or primaloft top will be warmer, lighter and pack down smaller. It'll be less robust and more expensive though, and also less breathable

If you have a phone back up and know the area well you're probably fine
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think that looks like a fairly concise list.

Aside drom a down jacket, I never bother with any spare clothes ... but I am a tramp :wink:

If you're not planning to cook and only brew up, then a gas stove and pan seems a little like overkill. I too enjoy a brew and my entire 'cooking' kit comes in at under 100g + fuel and fits inside my mug.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

s8tannorm wrote:I think that looks like a fairly concise list.

Aside drom a down jacket, I never bother with any spare clothes ... but I am a tramp :wink:

If you're not planning to cook and only brew up, then a gas stove and pan seems a little like overkill. I too enjoy a brew and my entire 'cooking' kit comes in at under 100g + fuel and fits inside my mug.
Mind me asking what kind of "brew kit" you use?
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Look in the 'shop' page on the bearbones home page - where you will find stu's bru stuff and few other of his homemade wonders :)
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Oh and no deodorant here but I do take a sawn off toothbrush and tiny pot of toothpaste. :grin:
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers for that!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mind me asking what kind of "brew kit" you use?
8g stove, custom tapered windshield and Snow Peak 450ml ti mug.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'll be bringing a spare jersey and shorts on this one. I know I'm going to get soaked through to the skin, followed by another soaking the next day, so I'd at least like to start dry.

I suspect the extra 500g wont kill me.

As for you people not brushing your teeth on a two night trip. NASTY! :shock: I'll carry a spare brush just for you. :P

Edit - My stove setup works out around 140g, but that's with a 900ml lidded pan (mug of coffee + meal), windshield, trivet and the weight of the lighter.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Edit - My stove setup works out around 140g, but that's with a 900ml lidded pan (mug of coffee + meal), windshield, trivet and the weight of the lighter.
Richard, what stove are you using that requires a trivet? Evernew?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Doesn't require one as such, but as I'm using a wide bottom pan I thought I'd get one... and yeah, it's an Evernew.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Doesn't require one as such, but as I'm using a wide bottom pan I thought I'd get one... and yeah, it's an Evernew.
If you find it's very thirsty or fierce, do away with the trivet and stand the pot directly on the stove. It'll block the top jets, slow the burn down but won't really effect boil times.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Managed 800ml boil earlier with about 30ml of meths (and about a minute of burn to spare afterwards), so it's not too bad. Of course, out in the cold with the wolves baying... it might be another story.

Friend of mine suggested I test it in the shower. :???:
Tom

Post by Tom »

Tootpaste is very useful not only for brushing teeth but I find it takes the sting out of bites from midges and things. Alternatively you could take Neem bark. It's great for cleaning teeth. Once you've chewed the bark you could then spit the pulp out into your hand and smear it all over yourself to prevent any bites in the first place. It's great for warding off midges thus serving double duty without encumbering yourself with a tube of paste and toothbrush. Plus it's bio-degradeable. :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I'd be keeping the wet wipes and toothbrush, but would get travel sized ones
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've lost 2kg ready for this so I can bring some extra comforts. :-bd