night time glasses

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

night time glasses

Post by Justchris »

I have a few events planned that will involve night riding off road.I commute during the dark, but tend not to wear glasses as it on roads. However I am just back from a late ride round the pentlands which finished in the dark. I had a cheap pair of clear glasses bought from decathalon, which made everything a bit misty looking.is this normal? I do need to wear some glasses for protection more than anything. What do people make of photochromic lens for night riding, yellow lenses, or do others have better experiences with clear lens, but a more reputable brand. Any opinion/experience would help.

Thanks

Chris
voodoo_simon

Re: night time glasses

Post by voodoo_simon »

Clear, Oakley lens for me and always get good vision (unless I stop and they fog up). Unless it's blazing sunshine, clears will be my first choice.

Some photochromatic lenses won't go completely clear for night riding, They tend to be good for most types of light and great for mountain biking in different lights (I.e in forests) but can struggle in the dark
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

You can get some decent ones from screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=bolle

Or rummage through ebay for something listed as "five lens sporting cycle sunglasses" or similar if you fancy Oakleys and have no shame... :wink:
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

I'm not sure I follow your logic re road riding.

I've had stuff thrown up from the tyres of cars before never my eye but by god it hurts and leave a welt . I'd say you're more likely to actually loose or damage an eye permanently on a road than off road where its just uncomfortable.

Just pointing it out I'm not some mad safety helmet evangelist type.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Vented lenses at night help massively
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I'm a glasses evangelist. I would rather ride without a helmet than without glasses, but then I have had an incident where I believe my glasses saved me from serious injury, so my view is biased! :lol:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-rush-cl ... pecs/2877f

These ones are very good for the money. I have a yellow pair for dull days, but would prefer clear for night time over any tint.

Or you could go for the frames with interchangeable lenses like these link for adaptablility if your ride will be day and night.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Chris,

I don't know if you remember the Oakleys I had when we met, but they're the photochromic lenses so are perfect for the type of event you're talking about. I wore mine pretty much all the time from dawn until well into the night and they were perfect. Not cheap, but given how well they worked I consider them an investment.

Al
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

+1 for the oakley photochromatic lens, not cheap but very good, I use mine for pretty much what you want

Drew
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Joshvegas wrote:I'm not sure I follow your logic re road riding.

I've had stuff thrown up from the tyres of cars before never my eye but by god it hurts and leave a welt . I'd say you're more likely to actually loose or damage an eye permanently on a road than off road where its just uncomfortable.

Just pointing it out I'm not some mad safety helmet evangelist type.
where I travel at night, the roads are very quiet. but I know what you mean joshv.

as for oakleys, it would be a no. they would end up either broken or left somewhere, usually trail side. I wear cheap glasses as this happens alot.

infact I scrached a pair today beyond use. screwfix sounds good to me.

cheers everyone.

Chris
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I ordered some of these following a recommendation from a mate:

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLARMYCG/a ... ng-glasses

Although the descriptions not clear, if indeed misleading, they actually come with 3 lenses, clear, yellow and dark. Good fit, light and comfortable.
A fiver well spent! I may get a spare pair or two.....
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I use Sunwise and change to coloured or clear as required. I also have prescription lenses in the inner frame.
I have worn these as over glasses on top of my normal glasses without the inner but only on road in the rain.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ever since Ive been plagued with eye infections due to getting mud in my eyes, Ive worn glasses religously and been OK
Night time I use clear lens safety glasses - cheap and work fine (also not bothered about getting them scratched and disposable)
2924 miles per Gallon
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Keep a look out for the Aldi set that cost peanuts with 3 different lenses

In the meantime buy some cheap Bolle safety specs, I've been very pleased with mine. And you won't be upset when you break or lose them

I have some Oakley Radars but don't have the clear lens for them, use them for road riding and when i'm motorbiking (just had the most glorious ride into work on the motorbike, sun was out and roads were clear)