Help me make a simple shelter

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Help me make a simple shelter

Post by Charliecres »

Right, excuse the old-tech mock-up and shoddy phone pics ...

Thinking of sewing up a simple shelter to give a bit more coverage than my 2.4 x 1.4 Terra Nova tarp for those times when the weather's a bit pants.

I've sewn frame bags, seatpacks and a bar harness but never a tarp, and I've never worked with silnylon, so keeping it simple is a key part of the plan.

I like the idea of a side opening design (like the BPWD Lair etc) that blocks the weather while letting you look out while sat up or lying down.

I've come up with the following design which should require a minimum of sewing skill and time while, I hope, achieving what I'm after.

It will be made from just three flat sections:

The main section is 3.4m x 2.2m x1.5m and the 'doors' are just triangles.

Height is 110cm but I'd plan to use a longer pole and have a gap at the base.

Footprint is roughly 2.5m x 1.6m.

The doors will be sewn together at the top to form a small beak and tied back in normal use (as in the second pic), leaving an opening 70 cm high from the base of the shelter (but further from the floor due to the gap at the base).

In really bad weather it would be possible to close the doors, which will have an overlap. I don't have a plan for ventilation, other than leaving the door ajar so I'd expect to suffer the inevitable condensation.

In terms of construction, I'm planning to cut the three sections out and hem them then sew the door sections together at the top to make a single piece which I'll then sew to the main section. The plan is to use flat-felled seams for the joins.

Finally, I'll add tie-outs made from narrow to the corners, the beak and probably one or two in the middle of the back panel to add taughtness and increase internal space. I'll reinforce these with a silnylon patch and also add some reinforcement where the pole locates. Seams and stitching will be sealed with silicone sealant.

Now I realise this won't be as stable, solid and flap-free as a professional job with catenary curves and more sophisticated panelling but I'm hopeful it might work out OK.

Point North have some cheap silnylon at the moment which should keep the cost to under £30 and weight to around 400g.

So, what do you think? Is it worth the effort or will it be a flappy, dripping nightmare? Have I got the dimensions right? Any tips on technique? Any good sources of silnylon? Any tips on reinforcing the pole pocket and tie-outs (material, how to do it)?

Sorry for the epic post.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Help me make a simple shelter

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't really see any reason not to give it a go or why it shouldn't work.

I might be tempted to add a tie-out at the mid point of the rear panel, it's a lot of unsupported (flappy) material otherwise. If you make the hem a decent width (half inch) and 3 ply then there should be enough strength to sew cross-grain straight to it for tie-outs.

A piece of Cordura sewn into the apex should protect it from the pole okay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks Stu, makes sense.
nobby

Post by nobby »

My wife sewed me a small shelter for covering the end of a bivi bag in sil nylon some years ago. Unfortunately the site where the plans and instructions were no longer exists. The shelter turned out to be a bit too minimalist for my taste but otherwise worked as planned

We bought the sil nylon from Point North and took their recommendation on thread which was a polyester, I believe. We had thought the material would be difficult because of its slipperiness but after experimenting a bit with needle size and tension it all went well.
Hth
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks Nobby. I've found some more silnylon on extremtextil.de which looks slightly better so may go with that.

The project's on hold at the moment as I'm busy with other stuff.