Best front ring for 1x10 set up

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ed1

Best front ring for 1x10 set up

Post by Ed1 »

Hi All,

I had a few chain drops in my last set up, Middleburn Uno and Sram X7, I'm going to give the Shadow plus a try but does anyone recommend a front ring?
I understand the thick/thin is better for 1x10 set ups but has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Ed
jamiep

Re: Best front ring for 1x10 set up

Post by jamiep »

Superstar is good value, and mine works fine. Seems hardwearing
slarge

Post by slarge »

I've got a superstar one that works, and a Works components one that also works. Both thick thin. Not much else to say about chainrings.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Try Oval - I've used Rotor and rate it, but think my next ring will be Absolute Black.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My On-One Ringmaster works fine ... now I've got a KMC chain :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mart

Post by Mart »

the absolute black oval is lush, I love mine
2924 miles per Gallon
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I've been pretty happy with e-thirteen. When I replace my current 34 for a 32 this year, I'll be going back for more.
http://bythehive.com/e-thirteen/components/guiderings/

Greetz

S.
atk

Post by atk »

Haven't Middleburn recently brought out their own thick/thin uno rings?

edit: http://www.middleburn.co.uk/products/sp ... ingle-ring
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Cheers all,

Thanks for your replies, I'm intrigued with the oval ring. I remember the old Bio-pace or should I say my knees remember.
I recall someone had one of the rotor q-rings on the winter bivi and loved it.

It's looking though like any thick/thin chainring will help me with the chain drop.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a RaceFace 30T on my 1x10 set up, not had chain drop yet even when blasting down technical trails in pursuit of my mates on full suss bikes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've used race face and black spire. Both spot on
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've got a hope 30t on standard shinamo cranks and a SRAM 32t on some fancy 94bcd cranks.

Both work well...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

30 t up front with 11-42 t rear. Raceface and Hope, SRAM rings all in narrow wide.
Works. Run them on X0, X01 and Raceface cranks.

Chain will come off now and then, but seriously rough riding is required. Seriously.
Or crashes :wink:
This is with SRAM type II mech's.

Only issue so far is the longevity. Changed my chain twice in 2000 km on one of my bikes and yet the Raceface ring was worn down. Lots of muddy trips though.

If you're not happy, try another chain brand/type. Very good so far was SRAM on SRAM chain to ring combo. Or KMC X10 on Raceface. KMC X10 on Hope wasn't as good in retaining the chain, but seems to last longer. I'll try a SRAM chain next time I change.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Alpinum wrote:. KMC X10 on Hope wasn't as good in retaining the chain, but seems to last longer.
Ah...that's what I'm about to be using :| With a 9 speed xtr rear mech (M970) though (10 speed system though).

Have got a Paul's chainkeeper that will probably be on though. I mean, the system was working well with a 3/32" velosolo single front ring setup and with 9 speeds...until I did a Coed-Y-Brenin loop and bent the superstar chainkeeper :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It appears that the KMC chains have a slightly different plate shape/profile so don't seem to be quite as tight a fit on some rings. The On-One ring I'm using wouldn't work with either SRAM or Shimano chains at all but seems very happy with KMC.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:It appears that the KMC chains have a slightly different plate shape/profile so don't seem to be quite as tight a fit on some rings. The On-One ring I'm using wouldn't work with either SRAM or Shimano chains at all but seems very happy with KMC.
Hmm, that's interesting to note. Especially as I'm going to be conducting a bit of a chainwear experiment over this coming year - but alas on 9 speed stuff :geek: And doing a quick bit of googling, there does appear to be a good amount of bull' being spouted (why would a more powerful ride wear a chain out quicker when the wear is the pins wearing which is not a function of rider power - did you know the british standard thingy states that a chain can take 8kN load (dunno if that's safe working or peak...not done much reading yet, just downloaded the standard and had a browse, either way 8kN is a lot!...although that's a static force and not a dynamic one, but still.)

Back on topic anyone fancy pooling together some measurements of both 10 speed chains and thick/thin rings?
EDIT: by which I mean people measure and post up measurements. I don't mind putting together some key dimension thingy guidance.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm about to go 1x9 on my (soon to be ex) singlespeed, using a Surly steel ring. I'll report back if it's horrible.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'm running a hope N/W ring as a 1x9 set up on my committing/winter bike. It's working well with a non clutch mech with zero dropped chains do far.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Zippy wrote: Back on topic anyone fancy pooling together some measurements of both 10 speed chains and thick/thin rings?
EDIT: by which I mean people measure and post up measurements. I don't mind putting together some key dimension thingy guidance.
Good idea. I'll give you some numbers soon. Only issue: non of them are new. I guess that should be noted too.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Here some numbers:
Chain, inside, narrow link in mm and wide in mm
Chain ring outside obviously, narrow tooth in mm then wide in mm. Quick measure with calipers on dirty bikes.

SRAM PC1091b n 2.2, w 3.84
SRAM ring n 1.94, w 3.71

KMC X10 n 2.3, w 4.14
Hope ring n 2.0, w 3.76

KMC X10 n 2.28, w 4.2
Raceface n 1.48, w 3.48

First set has only seen some muddy 100 km. Second set about 400 km and last set about 1200 km, but that's only in snow. Absolutely no mud there. I try to change the chain about every 7500 - 1000 km. This way I can go through two chains at least with one drive train. The one one the snow bike looks worn down although the chain hasn't quite lengthened enough to swap it. Thing is, on that bike I put the most power down even during regular rides by far. Lubing must be about the same on all bikes. The difference between the two KMC chains shows the inaccuracy of my measurement.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Slightly off topic, I scanned with a fairly cheapo boggo standard scanner my brand new stainless steel surly chainring that shall go on my commuting bike soon. It came out pretty well on one of the higher resolution settings, thought I'd share! :geek:

Surly_42T_110BCD-800dpi by zippyonline, on Flickr

Back on topic, I have a brand new Hope thick thin ring, 104BCD 32T that I shall measure shortly. Also a brand new KMC x10 chain.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Zippy wrote:Back on topic, I have a brand new Hope thick thin ring, 104BCD 32T that I shall measure shortly.
Four months later, I remember I forgot to share the information :oops:

Hope Thick Thin by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

That's from brand new... looks like my measurements are thinner coz it's clean?