Adding lifters to a tarp

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Adding lifters to a tarp

Post by Charliecres »

I'm thinking of adding a couple of lifter points to my tarp. My plan is to use some fine webbing tape from an old tent, double a short length to make a loop and sew through that, the tarp and a small piece of strengthening material (doubled nylon tent fabric) on the other side. I'll then give the stitching a good coating of seam sealant.

Does that sound like a good plan? Is there anything I should watch out for? Or is there a better way of doing this?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Adding lifters to a tarp

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That will work Charlie. I'd suggest setting the stitch on the machine nice and wide, the fewer holes the better ... or you could just buy a pair of these?

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... clips-p447

They work very well, can be on and off in seconds and don't damage the tarp in anyway.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Hoojum

Post by Hoojum »

Charlie, I've sewn on lifters to a MYOG tarp using a circle of cordura stuck on with with a 3 to 1 mix of white spirit & silicon. I then sewed through as per stu's suggestion and re applied a little more silicone over the stitching. The result can be seen in this thread http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... jum#p21749
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks for the replies. Your solution looks very neat Hoojum. However, I'd forgotten about those tarp clips Stu and I think I'll try them before breaking out the sewing machine.
Hoojum

Post by Hoojum »

I've used those in the past and they do work well. Good luck