Lies and Trickery

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tanglefist

Lies and Trickery

Post by Tanglefist »

What's the worst and most prevalent BS you guys hear from bike shop employees? I'm asking so I can avoid repeating and perpetuating the same myths.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lies and Trickery

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not heard it for a while but - " you need to be over 5'8" to ride a 29er" but still hear "you need a proper full suspension bike if you want to go off road" quite often.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jpw247

Post by jpw247 »

Your gears are sorted.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

650b combines the agility of a 26" & the roll over ability of a 29er
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

This Insert name of non-essential part or upgrade here is made of titanium and is 5 grammes lighter than that other one.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote:650b combines the agility of a 26" & the roll over ability of a 29er
Working in a bike shop myself, it's difficult to explain wheel sizes to new mountain bikers. We often use 650 for trail centre use or for those who like jumping etc and 29er for general use (of sorts). Not sure if this is a better or worse example.

They usual follow this with "what do you ride?" Que the confused looks when (5' 7 of me) I tell them a rigid, singlespeed 29er (daren't mention the fat bike!)...
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

'Xtr is soooo much better than xt if you want to upgrade your group set'. Usually followed by 'we're doing a deal at the moment'

I cannot feel/tell the difference between xt and xtr. But my partner can! 'It cost how much!'

On another note madison the shimano distributers must be run by a group of masked men. Absolute bandits. Madison vs chainreaction prices says it all.
jameso

Post by jameso »

How about "weight on the wheels is worth 2x the weight on the frame".. or a similar "lighter wheels will make so much difference ... " then fitting paper-thin tyres on skinny rims and whacking 40PSI in them : )
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

All the LBS guys round here are good people and are devoid of BS.

They know the score and tell it like it is.

Of course from time to time I see far more knowledgeable customers questioning their 20+years of experience.
Ian

Post by Ian »

"You look a perfect fit on that bike", when you're blatantly too small for it, but the shop hasn't got one in the size you need but will happily sell what they have regardless.
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

A lot of the selling points of the road bike seem to be related to the flex of the seat stays, although I can't help imagining that a dozen of factors have a bigger impact.

Also, I'm always slightly baffled at how to effectively describe a 650b bike. 'They're slightly bigger than 26 and smallet than 29. Uhhhhh..now, excuse me I have to rearrange the inner tubes.'
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

I was recently told in one of the LBSs to work that "in cycling weight is everything". "Really?" I replied "even at the expense of reliability and durability?".... cue a pause and then a sheepish , "oh, I see your point... I'll leave you to it then"
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
tommid

Post by tommid »

I worked in a shop for many years, we always likened it to High Fidelity.

I don't remember spouting lots of BS, but knowing too much on a subject you become very opinionated about what is good/rubbish.
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Him: Blah blah blah blah

me: its her buying the bike mate you could maybe actually talk at her.

him: blah blah blah blah

Me: >>>>>>

Him: blah blah blah blah

Her: **** this we'll look online.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:650b combines the agility of a 26" & the roll over ability of a 29er
Working in a bike shop myself, it's difficult to explain wheel sizes to new mountain bikers. We often use 650 for trail centre use or for those who like jumping etc and 29er for general use (of sorts). Not sure if this is a better or worse example.

They usual follow this with "what do you ride?" Que the confused looks when (5' 7 of me) I tell them a rigid, singlespeed 29er (daren't mention the fat bike!)...
Its easy:
26" is a legacy from when all we had were old paperboys bikes, 29ers are what we got once we started making stuff that worked and 650b is for all the naysayers who can't bring themselves to admit bigger wheels are better. :-bd
MidgeMagnet

Post by MidgeMagnet »

johnnystorm wrote: Its easy:
26" is a legacy from when all we had were old paperboys bikes, 29ers are what we got once we started making stuff that worked and 650b is ...
the big bike manufacturer's way of trying to get everyone to buy new bikes because everyone didn't immediately abandon their 26ers when the 29ers came out.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Where do you start...

The absurd fascination with aerodynamics on road bikes combined with ignorance of good fit; 'Retul says...' or as Ian stated, whatever size frame/components they have is the perfect fit!