Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket

Post by composite »

Can anyone give me the low down on the Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket? Experiences etc?
Taylor

Re: Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket

Post by Taylor »

Quite heavy, reasonable breathability and fairly waterproof.

Wife's had two of them, first one wore out after about 18 months of commuting.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've the basic Night Vision which is the same material but fewer pockets and a slightly different cut. Definitely heavy duty, stood up to 40MPH winds and horizontal sleet/rain the other week. Very much a winter jacket rather than summer but I'll take it with me when touring in northern Scotland as the heavier material doesn't get pushed in to your lower layers like a lightweight shell does.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I bought a £1.80 hi-viz vest from Lidl the other night ... does a cracking job of lighting me up on the road and also keeps quite a lot of weather off, not waterproof but it is breathable :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Not really impressed with mine. Dunno if it was sweaty or leaky, either way I'd always feel damp in it, this is the jacket that came out of the nikwash wash covered in bogies if you recall! The fit is awful for "proper" cycling. The arms aren't quite long enough but the torso area is like a huge baggy parachute.

I bought it for my commute but I've taken to wearing a Gore Bike Wear soft-shell for anything up to torrential rain. My Alp X is black so I've just bought an Element in Hi-Viz yellow for commuting.

Alp X softshell reduced at Evans: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... t-ec040395

Gore Element soft-shell (were £67 on Amazon a day ago when I ordered mine but now Evans is cheapest) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... lsrc=aw.ds

If it's properly wet I'll wear my Funkier TPU jacket: http://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-tpu ... 55529.html which for 30 quid is an utter bargain. It's also like a soft-shell not a crisp bag but it is VERY warm, i.e. proper downpour or Sub-Zero temps or riding slowly!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If it's properly wet I'll wear my Funkier TPU jacket: http://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-tpu ... 55529.html which for 30 quid is an utter bargain. It's also like a soft-shell not a crisp bag but it is VERY warm, i.e. proper downpour or Sub-Zero temps or riding slowly!
What's the sizing like Nigel?
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Slim fit but not Italian fit. And not roomy like commuter fit. They are a bargain. But quite warm. I wear it when it is cold but not raining, when of wear layers and a thin waterproof
Edit, sorry my comment is re the funkier not altura
Last edited by jamiep on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

s8tannorm wrote:
What's the sizing like Nigel?
I'm a large in Gore, but my Funkier is a Medium. It is a roadie fit. Not having any of their kit I went by the size guide and found it to be accurate. Their bibs and winter tights are great too but I know you aren't into that namby pamby padded arse lark! :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Their bibs and winter tights are great too but I know you aren't into that namby pamby padded arse lark!
Arse like leather, me :shock:
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

According to the doco, the 'evo' is supposed to be 50% more breathable than the basic version. Still not sure what the materials are, but they're definitely different between the two versions. The integrated light seems like a gimmick, but it's removable.
composite

Post by composite »

Hmmm OK I'm still :roll: in the market for a new water proof and these were on sale but by the sounds of it, its maybe a bit heavier than want. I have warm layers that I'm happy with and just want a waterproof outer.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Montane Minimus?
Sport pursuit have the lightweight ventilated Berghaus on offer at the moment.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

waterproof - lightweight - breathable

pick two.

I think that's how it works.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Zippy wrote:waterproof - lightweight - breathable

pick two.

I think that's how it works.
Needs cheap adding really. Plenty of light and breathable jackets if you're feeling flush.

Stif have the Sweet Protection one that STW raved over in their sale but it's still expensive!