HT 550 route advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

HT 550 route advice

Post by restlessshawn »

I don't have time to do the whole route but thinking of heading up in May (before the race) to ride some of it. Which are the worst hike a bike bits as I wouldn't mind not doing the bit with them in :oops: Or which is the most rideable of the loops (I could add or subtract bits)?

I suppose I am looking for a nice 4-5 day ride about 40 miles a day but I don't know any of the trails being from the Borderlands.

Advice appreciated ta. Quite happy to camp or bothy or both.
whitestone

Re: HT 550 route advice

Post by whitestone »

On the basis that I haven't done the route (but have read the reports) :???:

The section that most people seem to dread is from Lochinver via Glen Canisp to Ledmore Junction, seems to be: (1) ride for ten metres, (2) pick up bike and carry over boulders for ten metres, (3) go to step 1.

Other sections that "get a mention" are: the approach to Bealach Horn from Glen Golly (traversing peat hags); the climb up from Inverlael over to Dundonnel; the track from Poolewe to Loch Maree; the top of the climb out of Torridon; the climb out of Glen Lichd to get to Glen Affric.

Of course there are other technical sections as well :grin:

If I was going to do one part of the route then I'd choose the northern bit, mainly because I've not ridden any of it. I've walked in to Carnmore which is in the Fisherfield Forest and it's an amazing bit of country (fifth shot in the series here http://www.highlandtrail.net/). Maybe start somewhere like Dingwall and do the upper bit though that does include most of the bad bits I've mentioned above :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm afraid you'll have to suck up the HaB bits. I don't recall a day where there wasn't some.

Inspite of Glen Canisp, I'd do the (114 mile) loop N of Oykel Bridge.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I maybe heading up in may yet if u wanna get together for a few days. I'm not sure of my dates yet though tar but I'm thinking of riding at least the top part
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

In all honesty if you're looking for a 4-5 day tour of 40 miles a day, do the Cairngorms Loop instead. There isn't too much hike a bike, it's more just pushing up a hill when it gets too steep to pedal with the exception of the Lairig an Laoigh section. If I were riding at that pace I'd do day 1 to Glenmore, day 2 the bothy before Feshiebridge, day 3 Tomintoul, day 4 top of the Geldie and then day 5 to the finish (or for 4 days ride day 3 to Braemar)

The HTR has a hell of a lot of pushing on it, although almost all of it was enjoyable. Even the stuff that wasn't was simply something you needed to get through to get to the next bit of sublime riding. As richpips said it was a daily occurrence, I can't actually think that I had a fully rideable day, except perhaps Glen Affric to Fort William but a lot of that wasn't the most interesting riding.

I love both routes, but for percentage of actual riding (at least for my ability and fitness level) the Cairngorms Loop wins. However, the HTR has some truly amazing riding, it's a cracking route.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thats a good call Alasdair

CG loop, even just the outer is lovely.

I did work out a shorter section, like 140miles taking in a lot of bits of the HT550 a while ago and ride most of it over a long weekend, but, it wasnt as good as the CG loop
FLV

Post by FLV »

also.
Woodcocks C2C off road is fun.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Thanks for the advice, sounds like it might involve rather more pushing than I fancy.

I did the outer Cairngorm loop (with a few tweaks) last May and that was a great ride.

WIll look at c2c options though c2c2c would be easier to plan
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a c2c2c between Ardgay and Ullapool
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

ScotRoutes wrote:There's a c2c2c between Ardgay and Ullapool
I can highly recommend it :smile:
Gari

Post by Gari »

I did part of the HTR route last spring, Kyle of Lochalsh back to Aviemore. This takes you through Glen Affric and over the Denny power line road to Fort Augustus, then went over the Corrieyairack pass to Newtonmore. From there you can cut through Glen Feshie to Blair Athol if you wanted or call it a day in Aviemore. From either you could get the train to Kyle via Inverness, which is what I did. That would be about 4-5 days at around 40ish miles a day. Great scenery through Glen Affric.