Ridersmate - bit like SPOT.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Ridersmate - bit like SPOT.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Saw this and thought it looked sort of interesting although there's a few features I'm not keen on.

You fasten the unit to your bike and attach the lanyard to yourself ... fall off and it sends out a text telling people you can't ride very well. I could see myself getting on / off the bike and setting the thing off about 30 times in a ride to unfasten gates, have a slash or whatever ... you can send an SOS manually like a SPOT too. It also has an internal battery with 8 hrs run time which pretty much rules it out for a lot of folk here.

Anyway, if you never get off your bike, are prone to going arse over tit and only do short rides, it might be useful. I can't figure out whether there's any sort of subscription on top of the already quite expensive unit price.

http://www.ridersmate.com/mountain-biker
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Re: Ridersmate - bit like SPOT.

Post by FLV »

What a mindbogglingly silly idea.

Fantastic way to panic anyone connected to it at home!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A bit like SPOT but needs a phone/data signal.

So, not much like SPOT at all. Loads of phone apps hava tracker function. The only thing this offers is the dubious ability to auto-dial in the event of some particular subset of incidents. ICEDot also does this.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Where does it say that?

I took this " Ride safely, anywhere – worldwide GPS tracking" along with a big picture of a satellite to mean that it used satellites for positioning ... like SPOT.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

s8tannorm wrote:
Where does it say that?

I took this " Ride safely, anywhere – worldwide GPS tracking" along with a big picture of a satellite to mean that it used satellites for positioning ... like SPOT.
Satellites for positioning. I think there's a clue there
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Positioning is my choice of word, not there's, all they say is "Ride safely, anywhere – worldwide GPS tracking".

I can't see anything about needing a phone signal, I'm not saying it doesn't need one (I have no idea) but I can't see a mention either way. If a signal is required then using the phrase, "Ride safely, anywhere – worldwide GPS tracking" is a bit naughty :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

There's a thing we have at work for lone working, where it has the capability to relay your position via the phone network (by means of a SIM card that communicates on any available network), or in the absence of coverage will communicate with satellites to update your whereabouts.

It also has a man-down function, which if it detects no movement for more than a few minutes, will raise an alert for you. It makes a lot of noise in the process, so if it goes off while you're standing still, you can cancel the alert.

It's called a Twig "Easy", and is about 3x the price of a Spot.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

When heading out into the wild I take a Manx telecom sim and an ancient Nokia.

Manx tel roam any available network on the mainland so if there is any signal an old skool Nokia will find it. You can get PAYG sim a from them with £10 credit posted to you for a fiver!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ianfitz wrote:When heading out into the wild I take a Manx telecom sim and an ancient Nokia.

Manx tel roam any available network on the mainland so if there is any signal an old skool Nokia will find it. You can get PAYG sim a from them with £10 credit posted to you for a fiver!
That's a brilliant idea
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ianfitz wrote:an ancient Nokia.
Define ancient Nokia.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Zippy wrote:
Define ancient Nokia.
A nokiabrick 6310? Available reconditionedon ebay. Anything designed when phone masts were still far apart in the urban environment!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ianfitz wrote:
Zippy wrote:
Define ancient Nokia.
A nokiabrick 6310? Available reconditionedon ebay. Anything designed when phone masts were still far apart in the urban environment!
Ah, I had a 6210 for a while. Must admit, have been considering the 6310 actually coz it has bluetooth to link to my car head unit and it's triband. Good choice sir, IMHO just the right balance of technology and performance. I don't really think of smartphones as phones, they're palmtops with gsm capability in my eyes.

However, my trusty nokia E51 phone which I've waterlogged twice and rescued with meths, and does actually have google maps when required and wi-fi for simple browsing (symbian S60 UI, so it is a smartphone with just buttons - but reliable) etc. AND most of all, the signal is pretty good, if you do however look up the radiation numbers of what phones give off, er the E51 is significantly higher than average and I think only just legal! :lol:

I digress - the MANX sim is a great idea :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Sorry it is a 6210 but the buttons on my smart phone are too close together.

The other advantage is that feh battery life is comically long - 10 days on standby!

There's a guy on ebay that sell reckon nokias for about 8£ if you don't have in one in a drawer ;-)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Thanks for the Manx tip, just ordered one. It will save me lugging round sims for the all the other networks when in remote places.
ridersmate

Re: Ridersmate - but like not like SPOT.

Post by ridersmate »

Hi, many thanks for posting a `heads up' on this forum and showing interest in our new product. I would like to offer some additional information for those that are interested. The Ridersmate unit will send a text message to up to three pre-determined recipients if you fall from your ride, automatically, no buttons to be pressed, as you may not be able to do so! The unit records the exact location as you fall, long/lat, speed, altitude, heading and retains the message for 35 seconds before sending. Gives you the chance to re-connect if disconnected in error. In addition if you fail to re-connect during that 35 second window you can re-connect at any time and a second message is sent cancelling the emergency message. The Emergency message also contains a map link for smart phones and takes you through to Google Maps showing the location.

Ridersmate had to undergo vigorous testing for the `fall'. The anti crush cell had to be formulated around the workings of the unit to ensure that we can deal with people of all sizes and ability from falling at 1 Kmh from a bike to a 35 stone person (490 pounds, 210 kilos) falling from a horse six feet up and travelling at 30 mph, to a motorcycle rider coming off in excess of 150 mph. I know this all sounds excessive, but we do not personally know each customer and have to assume extremes to ensure we provide a quality product that we know works in the field for all people.

In addition Ridersmate records your ride and you can download it once safely back home, replay the ride and even upload it into the Members area to share.

http://www.ridersmate.com, there is a video on the landing page which explains some of the features and will give you a pretty good insight into the product. Many thanks for reading this and we wish you happy and safe riding, whatever your ride may be. David Coleman Founder
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

http://www.ridersmate.com, there is a video on the landing page which explains some of the features and will give you a pretty good insight into the product. Many thanks for reading this and we wish you happy and safe riding, whatever your ride may be. David Coleman Founder
So does it work out your location by mobile network triangulation or satellites?

Can you charge the unit while in use?

The gps track that it records, what's the frequency of recording?

How much data can it store?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Richpips wrote:
So does it work out your location by mobile network triangulation or satellites?

Can you charge the unit while in use?

The gps track that it records, what's the frequency of recording?

How much data can it store?
is there an additional subscription / charges for the messages,

Can you increase the 35 second gap. It takes me longer than that to open a gate.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hi ridersmate, thanks for joining in the discussion.

It's not clear from the website (although it might be on the view but I can't view that at work..), is this a stand-alone unit, or does it have to be paired to a phone?
If paired to a phone - what phone's are supported?
Also if paired to a phone, I assume that it's using the phones gsm and satellite connectivity - does it have the ability to send messages through the satellite network like spot or are messages etc. based on the gsm network? i.e. does it become useless if there is no phone signal!?
ridersmate

Post by ridersmate »

Ridersmate is a stand alone unit, smart phones are almost the norm but not affordable the world over, so we made it a solo offering. Also many runners/riders don't carry their phones (extra weight) hence important to bring this in at under 80 grams. The battery life as stated is over 8 hours, in field testing we achieved 22 hours successfully with zero fail. The unit requires a SIM card, pay as you go, pre pay, the least expensive available. There is no monthly contract with us or a network, just make sure you have credit. The GSM module in the unit has been modified to be able to work on the lowest network power setting possible. You may not be able to make a voice call or even have phone reception, but it may still be possible to send a SMS text message with the Ridersmate unit. In field testing we achieved messages sent in areas that networks have graded as BLACK, in other words no signal and no chance of getting one any time soon.
ridersmate

Post by ridersmate »

The Ridersmate unit can store several thousand lines of data and records the information every 10 seconds for horses/cyclists and every 60 seconds for motorcycles. We use GPS to accurately plot the speed and location. The memory records over the top of existing data once full. In the members area of the website you will ave the ability to download, name your rides and even name fun bits, Dangerous Daves Corner and so on. You can then upload these rides to share.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In field testing we achieved messages sent in areas that networks have graded as BLACK, in other words no signal and no chance of getting one any time soon.
This might be a difficult question to answer as you don't know the specifics but I assume that means that the unit should work in areas that are absolutely dead? mid-Wales, Highlands, etc.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

How big is the memory chip?

Edit: What file format is the GPS track? Can people upload to Strava etc?

With respect if you are relying on the GSM network to send the message then "worlwide operation" is a bold claim.
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

If you are in a remote location with little to no noticeable GSM network would you know if the unit had managed to send a message out or not?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Lughnasadh wrote:If you are in a remote location with little to no noticeable GSM network would you know if the unit had managed to send a message out or not?
Or if it got the panic text through, but not the OK text....
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Thanks, but I'll stick with my spot.