Military Kit

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tommid

Military Kit

Post by tommid »

Hello,
First post here so go easy on me.

So most of my bivvying was when I was in the cadets and as such made use of cheap ex-military kit. I still have a nice old military issue bivvy bag and an old sleeping bag. While the sleeping bag is not that light they are cheap and readily available. I used to make do with a poncho with eyelets, some para cord, tent pegs and bungees. Which I reckon you could pick up from an online surplus shop for about £20.
So I guess my question is, is anybody using any ex military kit and if not why not? Its cheap easy to come by, built on years of experience (usually by the lowest bidder, sadly), built to be abused.

Thank you for your time... I look forward to your answers. (I'm just being formal as its my first post).
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Military Kit

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My problem with the majority of military kit is weight, also I'm often surprised how many folk (still serving and ex) tell me horror stories about how useless some issue kit is ... One particular story I remember was about, non breathable bivvy bags being issued for the Falklands.

You're right though, it does tend to be robust but robust does tend to equal heavy/bulky.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

robust does tend to equal heavy/bulky.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

I've got a DPM basha and goretex bivi bag, whilst it works, it's just so heavy compared to more modern materials.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

If cost is the priority, you can make a 2oz nylon 8'x5' tarp that is sub 300g for a little over £10 in materials.

Similarly the army goretex bivvybags are only a few quid cheaper than the Alpkit Hunka but weigh twice as much.

Although the last RAF chap I spoke to said their kit stores were full of Mammut kit :shock:
touch

Post by touch »

I love military stuff. As others have said, it's pretty heavy, but i'm not much of a weight weenie so that doesnt bother me. The main problem i have with it is the colour...everything is green :P

I have a goretex DPM bivi, goretex DPM overtrousers (£5 on ebay) and goretex DPM mittens (£3 on ebay, massive things that go right up to my elbows over the top of my normal snowboarding gloves, very warm)
Also have a few little bits of hardware: a hexi burner, mess tins, etc (mostly used as spares/backup)

I'v been looking at some backpacks as well, but i really dont want any more DPM stuff :P I know they come in black, which would be good, so i have a quick look on ebay for them every now and then.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I've got a DPM MOD Gortex Bivi bag, it's about 400gm heavier than my Alpkit Hunka.

It's a tough old thing and if my life depended on it keeping me dry I'd take it for sure, but for one or two nights on something like the WRT it's not necessary.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

The issue bivi bags are a lot heavier than those from the likes of Alpkit, Rab etc but are also much bigger - they are designed so those using them can get clothing and kit in with them - certainly if it's really pissing down and you are closed up then they are (IMHO) more comfortable places to be.

My basha isn't that heavy but my tarp from Tenth Wonder Hammocks is a lot bigger and lighter and they start at @£16

If you already have the military kit them it'll be fine but I wouldn't go out and buy it in preference to the budget kit available
gairym

Post by gairym »

for me it's all about priorities.

for years i just threw a few bits (hammock, tarp and a mess-tin) in my bag and spent the night out on bigger than normal rides.

my main priority was finding remote perfect singletrack and riding it fast with a big grin on my face.

so.....i needed minimal kit (as not venturing far from home) that didn't interfere with my bike handling or riding comfort.

but if your priorities are spending as little money as possible and your bikepacking style is more off-road touring (i.e. not wanting to blast at 'normal' mountain biking speeds over technical trails) then there's no reason why military kit isn't more than good enough.

the problem (read: expense) is when you want everything: light, warm, waterproof kit for multi-day trips which won't stop you riding your bike like a lunatic over the rough stuff.

then your only real choice is spending crap-loads on high-end gear.

just my thoughts - for what their worth.....

gairy.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I used my fair bit of military kit when I was in cadets and all I remember is hauling heavy gear gear for miles. Everything worked but my lasting impressions were of having a sore back!
Mess tins worked but all I can remember about them is welding porridge (naturally mixed with the ration pack chocolate powder) to them and then spending ages cleaning the soot off them from the hex burner.

I guess it all comes down to what you can afford and how much you're prepared to carry. I've spent winter collecting a load of kit ready to rediscover the joys of bivvying and have managed to get a reasonable base weight for not much cost but then one man's idea of expensive is different to another. I found it hard to part with cash to buy a sleeping bag for over £100 so opted for a cheap alternative (which I will probably live to regret - if I live). I had no problem spending £50 on a Rab Storm Bivvy and £50 on a silnylon tarp. I think these are the basics that will keep me dry (hopefully) and I can layer up on cold nights.
Realistically though, I won't be out in cold weather where the nights are shorter so an expensive down sleeping bag isn't as necessary for me. I'll be starting out March onwards where temperatures won't be as close to freezing.
Although new to bivvying, i've camped loads and there are some bits you can compromise on e.g my pan set weights 200g and was only £10 from Blacks. I could spend 3 times that for a Ti pan but the weight saving is only 90g. Shop around there are bargains to be had, especially at this time of year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shop around there are bargains to be had, especially at this time of year.
It's amazing at times what you can pick up with a little time spent shopping on the internet ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

s8tannorm wrote:
Shop around there are bargains to be had, especially at this time of year.
It's amazing at times what you can pick up with a little time spent shopping on the internet ;)
Yeah, we're quite fortunate that I have a Millets and Blacks right by my work. With their financial hardship, there have been loads of little bits available. Gutted I missed the 70% off gas cartridges on Friday though. No screw fit left when I got there yesterday.

Chatting to the guy in the Blacks shop they were saying that the company own the Millets building so they will be moving in together which hopefully means that they will be able to stock the higher end stuff and leave Millets to do the family stuff.