Making stuff out of carbon fibre

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Making stuff out of carbon fibre

Post by Ian »

Does anyone on here have any experience of making stuff out of carbon fibre?

The frame bag on the Puffin bolts to the frame using to gear mount bosses under the top tube and the bottle bosses on the downtime. To provide some rigidity for the wider section of the bag, I have two pieces of 2mm HDPE cut to shape and inserted into the lining of the bag. While they're not particularly heavy, I thought that for a bit of weight saving and a bit of fun, I could make some out of CF. The finished article will comprise very simply of a piece of flat carbon fibre of the desired shape with two holes in it.

So the question is, where do I start?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Making stuff out of carbon fibre

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What size do you need?

Do you want the pieces completely rigid or with a degree of flex?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I've not directly done carbon fibre stuff myself, but have done a bit of fibreglass and helped others with composite type stuff. My little brother for about 6 months also worked for reverie making carbon fibre stuff - although that was pre-preg and an auto-clave which is a bit higher class than what you're likely to do yourself (although I suppose if you get into it, you could do that, but you'd want to be doing larger quantities to warrant it.) Also read quite a few car build blogs including a bloke who jumped straight into making a new clam for his noble out of carbon fibre!

Anyway, for starters I'd advise doing "resin-infusion" methodology.

Of course this is all way overkill, and for the sounds of what you're doing, I'd just cut out some flat sheets of carbon fibre someone else has made :wink: (Careful with electrical tools in terms of getting carbon bits into the motor).

I'd also recommend this website to get your gear: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/

Hopefully that's a good starting point :smile:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Stu - Length is about 400-450mm. Width is roughly 115mm at the widest end, and then it steps down to 85mm at the halfway point. I'll take the panels out in the morning and have a measure up. I guess a bit of flex would be good, which is what the HDPE has currently.

Zippy - thanks for that, will take a look.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Easy composites are are good company to deal with and will sell you a small quantity of cf (at a price!). If it's stiffness you want, the prepreg sheet is stiffer than wet lay for the same thickness and has a better finish on both sides. It cuts and sands really easily, but don't breathe the dust! Keeping it wet while sanding or cutting keeps the dust down, and if you want to drill it, use the fastest speed you can with new, sharp bits.