Buying bits and pieces for bikepackin?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Buying bits and pieces for bikepackin?

Post by Adventurer »

Hi,

I've been getting a few bags and testing them out on day rides. Learning how to fit and where is the best place to put items.

I've already got a vango ultralight helium 200 so I won't be getting a tarp at the moment as the tent needs more use.

I also have a vango venom 400 down bag which I have used quite a bit taking my daughter camping last year.
However in a bit of a cold sleeper and had to wear a light jacket during the night to stay warm, this was early autumn.

Now I've noticed that alpkit will be bringing out new bags soon and might be interested in a bag similar to a pipe dream 600.
However I have also been looking at a quilt as only just discovered that some seem to prefer these. And I can't get my head round how these can be lighter, have no hood or even a rear and can keep you just as warm as a sleeping bag. And they seem a bit better price wise.

As no shops seem to sell them, as I wouldlike to have a look at one. Does any one have any advise on reasonably priced quilts? At they any good for cold sleepers?
I might wait and see what alpkit are bringing out. But if you can offer any advise I would be most grateful.

Ta
Dave42w

Re: Buying bits and pieces for bikepackin?

Post by Dave42w »

I've recently gone for a quilt.

Got an http://astucas.com/en/products/sestrals-quilt with the APEX 200 filling.

I use it with an Exped Synmat http://www.exped.com/uk-ireland/en/prod ... at-ul-7-lw

I've slept with them in my bivy bag down to -4 (according to my garmin 800 which was under the tarp resting on a croc). At that point I needed my Acclimatise jacket as well as a light fleece (before I got proper thermals).

I like to sleep on my side and tend to move about a lot, so I like the freedom of the quilt. The synmat is nice and warm to lie on (as long as it is well pumped up).

If you spend more I know there are down quilts that can be warmer and lighter but I'm very happy with mine (which was mainly bought for a 3 month sabbatical tour April thu June).
Chew

Post by Chew »

Adventurer wrote:However I have also been looking at a quilt as only just discovered that some seem to prefer these. And I can't get my head round how these can be lighter, have no hood or even a rear and can keep you just as warm as a sleeping bag. And they seem a bit better price wise
Dont think of them like the quilt you have on your bed at home, but like a sleeping bag without a back.

They are lighter as theres less to them.
The rear section in a normal sleeping bag provides no warmth as its compressed under your body and wont insulate you anyway
Hoods only work if you're a back sleeper. If you're a side sleeper they are less use. No hood just means a hat instead.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Interesting. I also have a synmat ul 7, which I like as also a side sleeper.

With the quilt, are they long enough to put around your head a little to keep your neck warm? I must say that when I am in a sleeping bag I dislike pulling the hood tight around my head. So maybe a quilt might be the way to go.

So I think a down one would be good, something long enough as I am 5' 7" tall and slim build.

Had a look on line of a few and they don't seem to have comfort ratings. My vango supposed to go down to 0c but that's a joke. I was cold when it was no where near 0c.
So I'm thinking of a comfort rating similar to pipedream 600.

So is there anything you might recommend that is at least under £200. I'll start looking now, but if alpkit ones come out in time, might look at those as well.

Thanks for your help so far.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Quilts are lovely things BUT they're not perfect, there are compromises that need to be met and a certain level of 'learning' required to get the best out of them ... their versatility is also their downfall.

The lack of hood is easily overcome by wearing a hat as Chew says. I have a rather special insulated balaclava if it's really cold :wink: They cinch around your neck which stops the heat inside escaping, just like the chest baffle on a sleeping bag.

The majority have some means of drawing the underside together and / or fastening the quilt to a sleeping mat. I find things work much better when the quilt isn't tied to the mat, attaching the quilt just increases the dead air-space under it which reduces the efficiency. Instead, I either just pull the thing over me and don't bother with the underside at all (summer) or draw the bottomedges of the quilt together using the ties in winter to seal out any potential draughts.

Most quilts aren't rated as they're impossible to test in the same way as sleeping bags ... too many variables.

There's quite a few out there once you start to properly search but not much 'in the shops' as it were. If you sleep cold then I'd suggest you'll need a quilt with between 350g and 500g of quality down, this should keep you cosy down to 0 with your Synmat. I'd also look for something with proper baffles rather than a sewn through construction, it'll be a little heavier but warmer. A sewn in footbox (like in Chews pic) rather than an opening one usually means a lighter quilt at the expense of a little versatility but given the choice I'd still go sewn in.

Enlightened Equipment in the US make some lovely quilts, both on the shelf and custom.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

Mat at UK hammocks does custom quilts.
http://ukhammocks.co.uk/

Cumulus quilts are also very good. They're available in a range of weights / warmths and IMO are probably the best option for something you can buy straightaway and use.
http://www.highmobilitygear.com/PBCPPla ... ID=1464039
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ukhammocks summer or winter weight top quilts will fit well within your budget. I find my summer weight one very cosy and have used it early spring and late autumn. With base layers and socks its been fine. Down hat or beanie cuts out drafts round head and neck (in a hammock so possibly more prone to these than a bivi and tarp).

Mat uses high grade Dow fill though not hydrophobic (probably not necessary).

All my tarps have a neck clip and drawcord. This enables pretty good sealing to trap heat. You don't tend to need baffles like a regular bag.

A good mat is essential, imo.

Lots of American vendors but relatively few in UK or Europe.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You don't tend to need baffles like a regular bag.
Just to avoid confusion .... CM is talking about baffles as in 'chest', 'zip' rather than in the actual construction*

*right CM?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Yep, what Stu says. Ukhammocks TQs are all box wall baffle construction.

Hammockforums.net (US site) has lots of info on TQs and vendors. They're a lot more common in hammocking as bags are a PITA to use. Only thing to watch is sometimes hammock specific TQs can be a little narrower (across the shoulders) than might be ideal for big / broad / side sleepers.

Saying this I fall in the category and UKhammocks has been fine. My heavier Enlightened Equipment one is a wide version and TBH I could have probably managed with a regular width.

Stu knows his sub standard re quilts and is better with the words than me ;-)
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I'm learning lots, thanks.

I'm leaning towards a winter quilt, if it's too hot in the summer then I can use my vango bag.

Now do I wait and see what alpkits quilts are like? Decisions?

I like the prices as well, much more reasonable than a mummy bag.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Are AK going to do quilts? I'd missed that :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are AK going to do quilts?
Meant to be one in the offing along with new sleeping bags ... no idea of spec' yet though.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Less people know about alpkits new bags the better. I have a chance of buying one then,

Like hot cakes I think.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

If you don't mind a little wait (custom made) I keep recommending these - http://zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml. Large variety of sizes. Comes in green, green or green. I use the -1C/397gram medium/regular width version and it does what it says on the tin.

Greetz

S.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Scattamah wrote:If you don't mind a little wait (custom made) I keep recommending these - http://zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml. Large variety of sizes. Comes in green, green or green. I use the -1C/397gram medium/regular width version and it does what it says on the tin.

Greetz

S.

Nice, but a bit too much money.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Plus delivery, import duty and VAT. Ouch :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Two-fiddy Stirling (going on todays exchange rate) before the tax b'stards getcha (and that's a hit 'n miss affair) ain't too bad given the materials used and the quality of the build. It's about on par with the Enlightened Revelation Elite pricewise and less than half the weight of the UKH summer quilt.

I'll have mine @ the Fiesta next weekend...if you're attending, feel free to ask for a peek to see what the fuss is about.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

i have a down sleeping bag that the zip opens all the way to the bottom and just looks like that pic of the quilt chew posted. Does this count as a quilt then because it does the same job :lol:

Bonus to this is that i can sleep two people under it also :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll have mine @ the Fiesta next weekend...if you're attending, feel free to ask for a peek to see what the fuss is about.
I had a fondle last weekend, it's very nice :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

A fondle in the dark is worth two peeks in the daylight.

Greetz

S.