For the armchair SPOT watchers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

For the armchair SPOT watchers

Post by Dave Barter »

Steve Abraham is attempting to beat the year mileage record of 75,065 miles in 2015. I spoke to some of you about this at the Winter bivy

I've fitted him out with a SPOT tracker and you can watch him every day at this url (thanks to Mike Hall for sorting out Trackleaders)

http://trackleaders.com/oneyeartimetria ... ve_Abraham

Steve opened the year with a 222 miler today including his club 10 (he didn't win). Hopefully you can track his progress every day forthwith. If you want to know more http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Re: For the armchair SPOT watchers

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The very best of luck to the man ... one hell of an undertaking.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Chapeau!

I got p*ss wet through on a hangover ride around Whinlatter yesterday, the thought of doing 200+ miles makes me shudder.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Good work Dave for sorting Steve out
One hell of a challenge
2924 miles per Gallon
Ian

Post by Ian »

Just started following Steve Abraham on Strava. Will be watching closely. This could be history in the making right here
Even if he doesn't beat TG, he's going to clean up on the Strava MTS's every single month isn't he? :lol:

The two yanks listed on Trackleaders - they've gone to the trouble of giving themselves fancy names and everything ( :roll: ), but appear to have forgotten about the riding part? :???:

edit: I see, they appear to be starting on a different date. Wonder why?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The Americans (IronOX and Tarzan) are going on the 4th and 10th January respectively. Tarzan is relocating to Florida to take advantage of the good weather. Call me jingoistic but that just ain't cricket mate.

Apparently the thinking has been to use Steve's initial mileage as an incentive to drive them on?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Agreed on the cricket...

Does that mean they have until 3/1/16 and 9/1/16 to get their riding done, or is it all wrapped up by 31/12/15 for all three?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Fla. isn't all sunshine and fun. Consider there will be times when it's >90% humidity coupled with > 30C; there could also be times of gale-force winds and/or hurricanes. Occasionally, they get all of that at once. Hydration in the hot weather will also be interesting. There's better places in the US to be attempting this.

Greetz

S.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Massive comittment and good luck to him
Does that mean they have until 3/1/16 and 9/1/16 to get their riding done, or is it all wrapped up by 31/12/15 for all three?
I'm assuming you just get 365 days from when you start?
Apparently the thinking has been to use Steve's initial mileage as an incentive to drive them on?
I'm assuming this will be minimal as everyone will have Tommy's mileage as a reference, so they'll all know what the target is for the end of January, etc.....
Once we get to October a couple of days here and there isnt going to make too much difference. Most of this is going to be psychological so being ahead/behind the curve is going to make a lot of difference.
Tarzan is relocating to Florida to take advantage of the good weather
I can imagine its quite nice now (compared to Milton Keynes) but like Scott says once the humidity builds and they get into hurricane season there will be better places in the states to ride.

Steve could have started in Southern Spain, but being home in Bligthy he's being truer to Tommy's record.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

365 days in the current rules.

As for the Florida thing. Kurt is definitely following the weather. I am pretty sure you'll see him up sticks as the year goes on.

Steve banged out 187 miles today.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Rode down to see the man in action on day 1, one hell of a challenge when you think about the fact that even a days inactivity for any reason will create added stress.
The fact it "appears" to have become a race is one hell of a twist, imagine riding for 65000 miles for the year, yet the other guy beats you and claims the record.

Have donated to this titanic effort and will definitely offer to house and feed him at some stage during the year.
The old git in the yellow socks
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

So Dave, is there a book due on this next year then ;-)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

numplumz wrote:So Dave, is there a book due on this next year then ;-)
I've written 2/3 of one already concerning the complete history of the record from 1860 to present day. We were planning to publish in September and this will probably go ahead...but maybe with a second edition in 2016 ;-)
jameso

Post by jameso »

Every day this year when I see it pssing it down, like this morning, or see a really bad weather forecast, Steve's status as a legend goes up a notch. To say I'm a bit impressed as well as fascinated by this ride is an understatement, even starting out on this must be a massive call to make. It's a huge mental wall to get over, no end in sight, I just can't comprehend it. He's stopping at our place this month (I signed up as a supporter stop-over base) as well as later in the year so I hope to ride out with him for a while one morning.
DaveB, great to hear there's a book on it planned. I wouldn't expect Steve to be full of witty anecdotes over dinner during the year : ) but if the book gave some insight into the highs and lows that a ride like this creates it'd make essential reading.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

jamesco

Just to be clear I am hoping to cover a lot of Steve's ride but the guys that went before him are legends forgotten to cycling. I'm sat here editing a chapter on Walter Greaves. 45383.7 miles in 1936 with ONE ARM not a lot of sponsorship, 12 days out due to hospitalisation and a lack of bike.

What Steve is doing is incredible, what the guys and girls did before him is legendary..and forgotten.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Agreed Dave, the whole subject is of interest, will be a interesting read. I'm not sure why but I tend to think that people were just harder back then and 150 miles a day on nowt but a slice o'Hovis was normal, but the grand Tour stages, randonneur rides etc all seemed to be longer back then, read any hill-walking or climbing books and it's the same - wrong assumption of course. It's easy to think that's just how people were when the reality is we're all still capable of more, great to see Steve stepping up to see if he's at that level rather than simply being in awe of the old records.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Dave Barter wrote: What Steve is doing is incredible, what the guys and girls did before him is legendary..and forgotten.
Very similar situation in alpinism. Good there are people out there interested and aware about the "true heroes" and even better there are some willing to unfold and tell their stories. :-bd

Dave Barter: You got any idea what Steve's expecting concerning bodily changes (shortening of tendons etc.) and how he's going to prevent such things?

Well, all the very best for Steve. Thumbs up and fingers crossed
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Dave Barter: You got any idea what Steve's expecting concerning bodily changes (shortening of tendons etc.) and how he's going to prevent such things?
Firstly, let's be clear Steve is one of the leading Audax riders. He is no stranger to these distances and is also being coached by Chris Hopkinson. So he is reasonably well adapted but there is an element of uncertainty concerning the impact of doing it every day. Truth be told, there is no data.

His schedule is designed to gradually increase the mileage. This may seem odd as he did 187 yesterday! But it is planned to increase speed and hence mileage whilst keeping recovery hours the same. Also I believe Steve is planning to recover from the year on an Elliptigo runner bike. Tommy Godwin had an issue walking after completing his 100k miles in 1940.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote:read any hill-walking or climbing books and it's the same - wrong assumption of course.
I don't think that's all too wrong. Times before Nylon, titanium, alu etc. must have been very different.

You also see it when going through guide books; a 60° steep ice couloir is easy nowadays. Our grandfathers still had to hack out steps to get up an ice field and hammer in snargs instead of ice screws and in the early 40s not all had crampons to front point up some ice. The hemp ropes would be like iron cables once the water IN them froze. Now everything is impregnated and it does make a huge difference. I've seen ropes turn unusable once they were soaked and then froze up.

I'm sure there are many things that can be transferred from/to cycling. Be it even the better roads and cycle paths, the weather forecast system and better torches.
Dave Barter wrote:Tommy Godwin had an issue walking after completing his 100k miles in 1940
That's why I'm asking.
Steve will surely have an hour a day for mobilisation, stretching, yoga etc.?
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Rode with Steve as he passed by tonight, in great spirits despite a testing day in the rain and now misty cold.
Lights would appear to be an issue already for him, one thing that surely is highly advanced compared to Tommy Godwin's attempt.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sat here editing a chapter on Walter Greaves. 45383.7 miles in 1936 with ONE ARM not a lot of sponsorship, 12 days out due to hospitalisation and a lack of bike.
I need to know more about Walter Greaves :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

numplumz wrote:Rode with Steve as he passed by tonight, in great spirits despite a testing day in the rain and now misty cold.
Lights would appear to be an issue already for him, one thing that surely is highly advanced compared to Tommy Godwin's attempt.
I was very surprised to find he isn't using a dynamo to at least power one front light.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Jack, apparently Steve was grateful for the flask of tea but did not want to stop as it would have slowed him down. Legend.

Thanks for doing that, it's ace to see the huge support that has come from the real cyclists :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I don't think that's all too wrong. Times before Nylon, titanium, alu etc. must have been very different.
Yes, kit-wise very different and maybe more so in climbing than cycling. And the amount of wine or brandy drunk during bivvies was a lot higher : ) I meant physically are we any different - probably not in potential.
There's some great books on the hard men of early climbing, Conquistadors Of The Useless and Mountains Of My Life are amazing reads that make you realise what people can put up with, there's much less out there that I'm aware of on cyclists.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Just looking at his calendar and hes up my way in March (well, Sheffield/Mancaster).

Does his next day route get posted up anywhere?

It would be good to be out to show some support