Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

Re: Todays ride

Post by MuddyPete »

"Lashing rain and snapped chain" was the gritty reality of last night's ride around Woburn Sands trails. Got lost several times trying to rediscover routes around The Birch Inn, but the low-point was discovering The Royal Oak was closed. At 10pm! :| . Fortunately its heated bivi-pods (see BAM, passim) were open, then morale was restored with a malt loaf and luvverly hot chocolate from little Tesco in W.S. (open until 11pm: pub closing time :roll: ) that provided the fuel for a damp and slightly shivvery sprint home.

It was one of those "wear-out a set of brake pads in 4 hours" rides.

And: how does sand manage to penetrate 4 layers of footwear? :shock:
May you always have tail wind.
Verena

Post by Verena »

At least you managed to get out there, good on you :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Verena wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:49 pm At least you managed to get out there, good on you :-bd
Thanks V. Perfect antidote to WFH :smile: .
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

How things can change...

A nice ride in the sunshine expected, from home to Ellesmere lake (about 12 miles). Lunch packed, flask filled and set off in bright sunshine and blue sky from horizon to horizon. Half an hour later, although there still seemed to be no clouds in the sky, it started to get grey and much cooler. By the time I got to my lakeside picnic bench....

So no nice view and no nice sit in the sunshine then :sad: . It had got that cold, I was having to huff on my fingers to warm them up. Needless to say, butties eaten, tea drunk and I was off homeward sharpish. On the way though, close to home, there was this self-setter apple tree on the roadside...

We have some friends that keep a few hens that like apples, so why not pick 'em a few? I was expecting them to be some kind of crab-apple but it turned out that they were soft, sweet and juicy with a flavour somewhere between a pear and an orange pippin. I sat on the safety barrier and ate a couple before picking a bag-full for the hens. I don't need any for home - I've got a couple of hundred of my own stored away in the shed.

Home 25 minutes later having delivered the apples on the way, with freezing fingers and toes. At least it didn't rain.. :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Not today but yesterday

Got badly left hooked by a car on the commute to work, spectacular fall in the middle of the road despite being lit up like a Christmas tree

Only thing hurt is slight bruises, some minor scrapes to the bike (which is a beater anyway), went to get an x-ray of my hand but looks all clear. Even what I was wearing seems to be unscathed.

Driver very apologetic (as they should be), works in local hospital and offered to take me. Two witnesses stopped and were very supportive. Driver amusingly phoned me mid afternoon to check I'd been to the hospital in quite an assertive manner (clearly cared I was checked over).

Not sure I can claim for being miffed at being nearly killed as there is no loss to claim for despite BC membership. So probably won't bother.

Reminded me that despite all the idiots on the road some people really will offer to help. Still had a f-wit really badly close pass me on the way home.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

riderdown wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:46 am Not today but yesterday

Got badly left hooked by a car on the commute to work, spectacular fall in the middle of the road despite being lit up like a Christmas tree

Only thing hurt is slight bruises, some minor scrapes to the bike (which is a beater anyway), went to get an x-ray of my hand but looks all clear. Even what I was wearing seems to be unscathed.

Driver very apologetic (as they should be), works in local hospital and offered to take me. Two witnesses stopped and were very supportive. Driver amusingly phoned me mid afternoon to check I'd been to the hospital in quite an assertive manner (clearly cared I was checked over).

Not sure I can claim for being miffed at being nearly killed as there is no loss to claim for despite BC membership. So probably won't bother.

Reminded me that despite all the idiots on the road some people really will offer to help. Still had a f-wit really badly close pass me on the way home.
Could have been really nasty, fair play to the guy for caring but he still hit you. Might be worth changing your name though... :wink:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Might be worth changing your name though.
When the cap fits.......
RIP

Post by RIP »

Was feeling very lacklustre indeed today for various reasons, so thank you MuddyPete and Kate for dragging me out tonight kicking and screaming with bottom lip severely sticking out.

A supposed 10 miler to the pub for a quick one took 2 hours instead of 1 hour as a result of getting totally lost in the woods that I've been riding for the last 30 years or more. Ace!

Couple of beers then back out into the murk. Decision made to ride the longer but flatter way back along the canal, arriving home at 00.45hrs (local time).

And lesson re-learned since last winter: I would have found it quite challenging coming straight out of the pub and attempting to get a shelter up immediately. Temperature about 1-2degC, very drizzly etc. Cold and shivery despite being in the pub. But 3 miles down the canal, now toasty warm, and would've been nae bother at all setting up shop.

Ride also acted as winter clothing shakedown. Bamboo balaclava, thick bamboo base top, 2 x 100 fleeces, ultralight wind/waterproof shell, thermal leggings, commando underneath, w'proof shorts, w/proof socks, sports sandals. Turned out to be just right. Oh, and the Showa Temres 'washing up' gloves - with added silk liner gloves - proved once again to be absolutely superb. Totally windproof, no sweat/condensation inside at all.

Gawd I love winter riding. Trouble is, really revving now and won't be able to get to sleep.

Thanks again to Kate n Pete for a very silly night out.

Same as Verena, we tried to put the recent 'canal dunkings' posts to the back of our minds :smile: .

Time for bed said Zebedee.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Glad to be of service, me old spaniel :grin: .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bit of an adventure commute home from work over various hills. My back has been giving me gyp but it seemed better today so thought I'd do some destruction testing ahead of the Scottish winter bivvy. Chilly therefore hopefully home would be on lots of frozen and dry trails. Which it was mostly....

Twas a full moon too!

Quite chuffed with this pic although it's entirely down to the camera.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went for a spin on the fat bike, not far, 33km or so. The last few km were a little frustrating as my left side pedal broke :| There'd been some odd creaks then a crack and the pedal body slipped out along the axle! A bit awkward riding uphill whilst trying to hold a pedal in towards the bike.

That's two sets of DMR pedals that have broken in 3000km. I'll fit my Hope flats and have done with it even though they are metal and a potential heat sink.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nukeproof electrons Bob, although they are shin rippers...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Some compensation for not being amongst snow clad Angus hills, I went up my local bumps which were nicely frozen and sporting a dusting of snow.

Enough to be fun but no too much.

About as much rime as I've seen on this fence although it hasn't been too breezy looking at how much snow had been blown about. A fair few inches up here (725m)

Snowy hills! Hopefully a hint of things to come although long range forecasts are predicting a mild spell in the new year :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Aye well the Hopes are on now :-bd

Out on the fat bike for the third day in a row. Yesterday Cath and I went for a spin with the intention of stopping somewhere out on the trail and cooking up lunch (heating up some soup!) in the event we got cold drizzle so used a nearby cafe.

This morning I headed out onto the local hill to link up some nicely frozen trails, the bits of road between them were the sketchiest bits. I'd still got the stove (MSR X-GK) loaded on the bike so at the top of the main climb stopped and had a brew :-bd

As I was doing this another rider came past and we had a good chat about trail conditions - I'd come up via a very icy route. It got me reminiscing of travel in Pakistan where travellers would stop and exchange information about the road/trail ahead.

I've been using the rides to compare gloves, clothing set ups and head covering - headed out today with three buffs, a cycling skull cap and a balaclava! I was only out for three hours including the brew :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

8 miles = three and a half hours.....
Slush and suicider ice down below; gales, blizzard, thigh deep windslab up top (650m) At least my feet were warm, thanks to all the pushing....
I think that was penance for bottling the Capel Mount road last weekend!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Due to a fubarred freehub bearing on the fat bike I went out on the Solaris.

Interesting conditions to say the least. The first hour was fine if a little damp due to some rather cold rain/sleet. Twas when I got to Gargrave that things got interesting - sheet ice covered with the same rain/sleet :| Went to the café to dry out a bit, some walkers said that everything west of there was the same so decided to short cut back via the road. Got maybe 1km along the road and the ice had gone! Another km and the rain had virtually stopped and didn't have any problems all the way home.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Making the most of my winter/ darkness/ cold weather riding mojo after last weekend, I headed out last night for a little spin. Nothing crazy, just pootling round familiar lanes as suggested on the night time riding fear and loathing thread, thanks again everyone who has written something, with a view to just getting more used to it. Taking it very steady as still icy on the roads in places. Beautiful clear starry night. Pulled over and stopped for a bit with the light switched off just to admire the view for a bit. Car comes by, I give them a little wave, they slow down and then stop, two ladies, asking if I and the bike are alright. Aren't people nice? Rode on to my favourite local woods for a hot chocolate and a night in my tent. Much milder than last weekend, but windy so felt cold, and I'd picked a not quite level spot :roll: so lots of slippery slideying about, not the best night sleep, but I enjoyed it. Pootled on home the long way round, with something between snow and freezing rain, basically sharp bits of ice being thrown into my face.
Excellent :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Todays ride finished in AnE
Busted wing now means I’ll be off the bike a while
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

😟
Get well soon!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers.
I’ll try :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry to hear that Dave. Hope you get back to full ride-ready status very soon...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Did another 22 miles of my Justice for Aafia Siddiqui 100 miles mtb challenge/attempt. Planned on getting out early morn. But 0530 came, prayers done and I was too knackered...

Managed to get out at about 1000 or 1100. Decided early that I'll be taking pics looking back at the trail that I'd ridden. This method managed to get a few pics off limits as it was pointless say, taking a shot of certain signs from behind... etc.. etc... etc..

Realised early (in fact before departure) that it might be a boring day with just these biscuits.

But then I found these gems hidden away in the side pocket of the lovely framepack.

Honey water in the bottle which I hoped would last. So I had a full swig of 300ml of water before leaving (did I already say summat similar, sorry) and I was off. Well, straight after blowing up the rear tyre to about 12psi. I reckon it'd gotten to sub 10 overnight (psi that is).

Wet weather clothing - waterproofs top and bottom - on soon into the ride and the rest of the 90 minutes involved lots of venting to ensure I didn't overheat.

Scenery was amazing....

But the mud was epic.

You know them bits of trail that you've been to lots of times but can't quite pinpoint where. Well, I'd found it Alhamdulillah. As you can see I was careful to take the shot behind as opposed to what's ahead!

This was a tricky shot. Had to capture Castle Hill (all us Huddersfieldidlians think of it as a part of us... it's always about) but couldn't quite get myself to take a picture from the side-view. Thankfully a mile up the trail and it was indeed in my rear view.

This was an interesting opening/gap. Beside the wooden gate and I've always lifted the front wheel up. But for some reason today the bars fit straight through and in fact rideable. Had the gap become bigger or had I been traumatised by the preceding DH all them years that I'd never realised it was a 'fair old wide' gap. Looked for signs in the concrete for evidence of the posts being moved. But it all looked solid and historic! Maybe Bob or any of the other NorthPeaks100 can shine a light!!

These good old chaps were doing lots of blowing in the golf course. Wonder if they get paid for it pr do they do it for the love of the game. What kinda frigging exercise is that anyhow. Wished they'd come and blow the leaves that had mulched over this set of slabs and mud I was stood on. Had to put some thought on how to capture em in the rear view. Pardon the moustache... :o

THE END (well, 45 mtb miles left).

Oops.. how could I have left a pic of Butcher, the bike. Maybe head on but the ride was over.
Verena

Post by Verena »

First one this year, and first one since being ill. Road ride from Brecon, up Llangynidr Mountain, down to Llangattock the sunny scenic tiny lane way, then back up again from Llangattock (really struggled at this point), then down to Llangynidr again (got really cold on the way down), fortunately had arranged to meet a friend in the pub there, so I warmed up with coffee, soup and a roaring fire, then back home.
Glad I went out on such a nice sunny day, lesson learned about more clothing needed...
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Oops.. how could I have left a pic of Butcher, the bike. Maybe head on but the ride was over.
Get some barend plugs fitted before you spud gun yourself
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

First ride of the year and managed to get the girlfriend to come along. 35km on the bike all on road which included me sliding down the road on my face after hitting a big patch of ice.
But on the plus points seen a few otters while sitting on a jetty looking over the sea and was passed at close range by a white tailed sea eagle so all in a rather grand day.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.