Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Todays ride

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:53 pm Mussels!!!!

That is taking the competitive gourmet bikepacking cuisine to next level Jeff!!
Surely that's
Glam-packing? :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Boab

Post by Boab »

An expensive and painful weekend. 55KM into a 165KM ride on Saturday, a creeper hidden in an Elder tree snatched my handlebars and I landed on my right hip and knee. Ripped the buckles off my Restrap frame bag and ruined one of the zips for good measure.

Today, 160KM into a 165KM ride, going round a gate I've ridden past hundreds of times, the front wheel just went. It was either hit the ground and smash my face on the fence post, or right the bike and slam into the fence almost head on. I chose the later, but have smashed the left brake lever off the bike and smashed a few ribs for good measure. At least I appear to have found the source of my brake woes, as the inside of the lever was manky with old mineral oil and dust, so maybe the leak was there, rather than the caliper. 🤷 £138 for a new one to find out though.... 😞

I was going to self anesthetise with alcohol, but might just chew a few Co-codamol instead.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ouch, sorry to hear of you woes Bob. Brambles have dragged me off the bike before now - they have an amazing ability to grab hold of you and hang on, then will release you only after exacting a suitable blood sacrifice...

I'm also particularly adept at wrapping myself round gates!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Boab wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:43 pm

I was going to self anesthetise with alcohol, but might just chew a few Co-codamol instead.
Sorry to hear about your accident Bob. You took the smart persons choice there for pain relief and your liver (as well as almost all other body systems, including the brain) will be thankful for it. Try some RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) and maybe add in some Ibuprofen as and when...

GWS...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ouchy. GWS Boab.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Ouch Boab, mend well.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Take two, the forum went down just as I'd finished writing this yesterday....

Monday's ride was another Audax, from lovely Tenby, which somehow never fails to disappoint, especially nice to arrive there at 6am when it was all quiet and peaceful.
ImageIMG_20230828_060634 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Quite a scenic spot for the start and finish, start at the cafe on the right, finish at the bar on the left.
A bijou kind of turnout, just 11 of us, so a small, friendly, Welsh event, kind of like an extended family outing really.
ImageIMG_20230828_061355 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I ended up riding in a group of three, forming the slow and steady but will make it round end of the "field".

The weather was kind.

We rode our bikes.

We stopped in Llandovery for what I believe is the traditional/ obligatory 2nd breakfast stop at the West End Cafe (and also one of the controls)
Don't mind if I do....
ImageIMG_20230828_113638 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

We rode our bikes some more through beautiful West Wales.

We got back to Tenby, got our brevet cards stickered, quick finisher beer then home.

Lovely.
ImageIMG_20230828_183018 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Next time I'll bring my swimsuit....
IMG_20230828_183028 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230829_192816 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks like a scene from a Hitchcock scary film. Not Tenby, the breakfast bap :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:10 pm Looks like a scene from a Hitchcock scary film. Not Tenby, the breakfast bap :wink: .
It was impressive, I must admit.

Whilst my companions were tucking politely into beans on toast and poached eggs on toast respectively, I got this beauty set down in front of me :oops:

What you can't see there (sorry Reg and all other veggies out there), is that this contained literally a whole breakfast, bacon, sausage, egg, mushrooms, saute potatoes, not sure about tomato, no beans, but black pudding an all.

Certainly kept me going up them lumpy middle bits of the route :cool:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

That all looks excellent Verena!
I'm down in Pembrokeshire at St David's for an unexpected few days in a cottage with my kids, my brother and his wife.

Dusted off the nice old ti road bike, and went out for a couple of hours with Rob (my little brother) yesterday morning .
Pembrokeshire is really lovely! Hell of a drive from Sheffield, but well worth it. We did about 30 miles, up and down rolling hills, quick visit to Whitesands, Abereidy, Abercastel and Solva to check out the beaches for the lunch/afternoon. Riding was great, I've been struggling with my back this week, but voltarol gel got it moving and then the ride seems to have helped. The large helping of coffee crisp ice-cream from the Nook helped even more, and then the afternoon's savoury cheese & leek Welsh cakes were the icing on top!
20230830_111744.jpg
20230830_111744.jpg (70.98 KiB) Viewed 6389 times
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Started writing this up yesterday, but must've fallen asleep. Anyway, so yesterday I popped the bike in the boot as qe went visit my parents. As always, my dad who's now 70 and from whom I got the DIY confidence in the first place, wasn't openly impressed at me having plastered my daughters room the week before.

From that little issue (probably just in my head) and then my younger sister telling me that, "yeah, he was impressed but just didn't tell you" the ride was just what I needed to work off everything. I'd made a plan to go to some of the steepest climbs I know of to test my recent uphill training. I'd be taking the bike (Bruce the Butcher) to my first ever experience of proper trails as well as a cobbled/broken climb that I was in shock the first time I ever saw someone climb it.

That was 15 or so years ago and in the coming years I was/am able to climb it but only with lots of careful coordination to land on the correct cobble at the correct angle as it stoops to the right. Lots of careful deep breathing aswell and then after a bit of respite the 17% that comes yet again which is followed by a sharp U turn and up a gnarly climb. All very much tough going.

Theres my Bruce clinging to the wall I grew up with. 33 or so years ago at the age of about 12 and beyond I remember doing a running hurdle over this wall. Used to run down the path from my (dads) side door, jump straight over and down the 8% road. Often looked at this and thought about trying to hurdle it again, but these days I (can) barely jump down from it. Kids!!

Straight down to the canal towpath just 5 minutes away and what would take me to 'the mountains'. But for some reason some evil person had put a massive gate blocking the path. Checked OS maps online and the footpath we knew and loved wasn't showing up. Some googling later and I found this and this but absolutely nowhere does it explain why there's a massive gate blocking the canal path. Never seen this in 20 years!

Took the road way up instead and straight to/past Dodlee Lane. Dodlee being another deadly cobbled climb that initiates the infamous Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge (CVMBC). I need to check my ratios and how easy a gear I'd added to the bike.

Calculator out and some maths done. I'd removed the gear ratio of 34/42 (front/rear) which gave me an easy 0.81 (whatever the units are, can't think). Then added a 30 front chainring which got me down to an easier 0.71 gear ratio with 30/42 rings. This now meant thaty second lowest gear with my rear sprocket in the second to largest 37t, was now giving me a 0.809. All made swnse in my head and if I rode in the second to lowest gear, I was more or less in my previous hard setup that was now removed...

I then climbed this which I'd usually be breathing hard for. I wasn't in my lowest gear and I took a pic or 2. The minimal hill training over the last month or 3, was obviously paying off.

Spied a duck colony at the top which I couldn't help but take a snap.

The pelasures of going for a ride to clear the head/stress and not being in a rush. I've been riding past this point since 2008 or earlier, but never did I know they sell 2 types of large eggs! Next bit on the down was where I had my first proper fall. On the CVMBC in about 2004 and it felt as though I was gonna go off the edge. I now (well, known for at least 12 years now) know that there was no lip to come off, only a wall. This didn't stop me from having serious muscle memory of the knee pain.

For at least 5 after that first mtb fall, each time I'd arrive at this point and the gnarl of the DH was apparent. My brain would send phantom limb pain to my knees and initially it would feel 'excruciating'.

Once past all the undulating steep rockies though, the pain would magically disappear. Now it was just a few hundred metres and I'd go up them steep cobbles on a right hand bend. If you don't turn your front wheel enough, you fall off the track and down into the river. If you turned your bars too much you'd lose traction and spin out. Leading to a painful thud on the 'gapped cobbles mixed with gnarl' on a 14% gradient.

Didn't manage to take a pic there, as that would be sheer stupidity. But I did manage it in the 3rd from the biggest cog at the back. Then on the next uphill which has everyone, including me, panting like a dog on a hot summers day without water. This time was different though as not only did I climb it happily, but also took a pic of the 'situation'!

Them came some more uphill gnarl which I'd usually struggle with. But this time was different and the rear tyre was landing precisely where it needs. I kept reving uphill until I got to beautiful horses. But I just took a pic of where I thought was my dads house. Wonder what it was/is between me and him. He really finds me 'difficult' and that I'm making his life hard.

Last two big 'tellings off' I can remember was when I tried to tell his neighbour to manage his piece of rubbish fence that he'd allowed to rot away then flinged it roudn the back path. A path that he'd (my dad mainly, but somw help from the kids) sorted over the years as far back as he remembered. 'You're always causing me difficulty' I was told off. The other was with the other neighbour, the daughters of whom would every so often tell us off for parking on 'their side' of the road.

Well, today I'd parked bang smack on 'their' side and was ready for the altercation. It never did come thankfully as it might have ended in me getting another telling of from dad afterwards. But being 46 myself, I wasn't gonna respond back - the Quran tells us not to even say 'ooph' to our parents and then be extra kind when they reach that tender old age - but nor was I gonna move my car. Maybe them nieghbourly daughters would get the lesson that they don't own that section of road and nor do they pay more road tax than me (in the classic 21 year old V8 4.3L :-bd ).

Anyway, back to the riding. I'd managed them climbs and assess the legs. Gave em a pass of the highest caliber... both of em Alhamdulillah. I'd also contemplated and allowed me and my dads 'differences' and maybe it was being a newbie to this country when he was just 12. I mean, I experienced racism (and then islamophobia post 9/11) in this town all my life and my english was 'perfect' as any elderly white folks often pointed out. But I guess he'd experienced it longer and harder... Dunno!

Probably my last pic of the ride. Got home (to my dads house) and everyone lived happily ever after. 10 miles of lovely riding. Why do I always need to think of needing to go 30 miles for a decent ride. I don't know, but things are gonna change (God Willing).
Loki

Post by Loki »

I think at that HR, I would probably pass out right now, lovely photo's all.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Verena

Post by Verena »

PaulE wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:07 am That all looks excellent Verena!
I'm down in Pembrokeshire at St David's for an unexpected few days in a cottage with my kids, my brother and his wife.

Dusted off the nice old ti road bike, and went out for a couple of hours with Rob (my little brother) yesterday morning .
Pembrokeshire is really lovely! Hell of a drive from Sheffield, but well worth it. We did about 30 miles, up and down rolling hills, quick visit to Whitesands, Abereidy, Abercastel and Solva to check out the beaches for the lunch/afternoon. Riding was great, I've been struggling with my back this week, but voltarol gel got it moving and then the ride seems to have helped. The large helping of coffee crisp ice-cream from the Nook helped even more, and then the afternoon's savoury cheese & leek Welsh cakes were the icing on top!

20230830_111744.jpg
Cheese and leek welsh cakes?? Interesting! Is that mixed in, or on top? As well or instead of the usual sweet falvour?

Lucky you, yes Pembrokeshire is a long way away, but just stunning. When it's not raining. Enjoy :)
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Verena wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:25 pm
PaulE wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:07 am That all looks excellent Verena!

20230830_111744.jpg
Cheese and leek welsh cakes?? Interesting! Is that mixed in, or on top? As well or instead of the usual sweet falvour?

Lucky you, yes Pembrokeshire is a long way away, but just stunning. When it's not raining. Enjoy :)
Cheese and leek mixed in, instead of the usual flavour... They also did mexican spiced ones, but my daughter scoffed the lot before I got a taste...MamaGu Welsh cakes in Solva, if you want a location to ride!
RIP

Post by RIP »

.... has been down to the station for the 1255 to Brummie New Street, change there for Chepstow. Off to meet some illustrious luminaries from this very forum for t'weekend in the Forest Of Dean. Been arranged for a while now, but with my usual unerring sense of timing a strike was called for Saturday. Well that's OK I'm going on Friday evening, so press on. Now there's one tomorrow as well! Bloody country's falling apart. Well I don't give up easily, I'll go today instead. Rather than alight at Lydney as originally planned I think I'll carry on to Chepstow and have a nose around. Just means I'll have to find a suitable ditch in Chepstow tonight, then a nice gentle wobble through the Forest to meet my co-conspirators in t'pub tomorrow night. Obviously an extra unplanned day wandering aimlessly around the Wye Valley and FoD will be a complete chore :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:59 pm .... has been down to the station for the 1255 to Brummie New Street, change there for Chepstow. Off to meet some illustrious luminaries from this very forum for t'weekend in the Forest Of Dean. Been arranged for a while now, but with my usual unerring sense of timing a strike was called for Saturday. Well that's OK I'm going on Friday evening, so press on. Now there's one tomorrow as well! Bloody country's falling apart. Well I don't give up easily, I'll go today instead. Rather than alight at Lydney as originally planned I think I'll carry on to Chepstow and have a nose around. Just means I'll have to find a suitable ditch in Chepstow tonight, then a nice gentle wobble through the Forest to meet my co-conspirators in t'pub tomorrow night. Obviously an extra unplanned day wandering aimlessly around the Wye Valley and FoD will be a complete chore :wink: .
Rather you than me today....brrrr it's a cold and wet one..hope you've got your woollies with you
RIP

Post by RIP »

I note there's a rather pleasant looking cafe actually on Chepstow station. Maybe I'll kip under the table overnight then I'll be in position for first breakfast serving :smile: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Well Chepstow's a happening place. Erm. Nice castle, and.. er... well, nice castle anyway! :grin:

Bloke got on the train at Brum with a full suss machine, lives in Coventry, got chatting. Turns out to be a semipro DH-er, Red Bull 1992, Athertons, Guy K, blah, nice chap, going to see his sister in Cardiff. Well Tongwynlais to be precise. Obviously everybody knows everybody in The Valleys, so he knows Steve Morgan of This Place. Likes the sound of BP, doesn't like routes or electronics, perfectly capable of navigating, liked the sound of navigating by pub/cafe, so I recommended This Place and WRT. If you pop in Gareth, hello again, hope you sorted the key out :-H . See you next May!

Don't get interesting happenstances like that sat in a car for 4 hours...

Right, let's see how fixed Chepstow is for ditches....

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

The really big one by the castle is tidal :smile:
psling

Post by psling »

Raggedstone wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 pm The really big one by the castle is tidal :smile:
:lol: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: and exceptionally muddy :smile:

faustus

Post by faustus »

Just a nice, normal ride. Hour and a bit fitting around work and child commitments, as normal. However, I'm regularly thankful that I can stitch together mixed-terrain local routes that go through beautiful places and terrain, and a great mix of trail types. Below is a long avenue of poplars on a nice gravel road that I regularly use as a rat run to get back into Newbury. It has the feel of a French tree-lined road... :cool:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A leisurely 42km on the Yorkshire Wolds in very warm weather, mostly country roads with a bridleway over the top of a hill in the middle. It felt quite a lot like a hillier version of Staffordshire, lots of rolling terrain through arable farmland. It was so warm I went in a Theakston’s pub and only had a lemonade!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Another 47km meandering through the Wolds from Pocklington to Weaverthorpe in the baking sunshine. We came across what may be the smallest cafe in the world at Fimber which was just a hatch in the adjacent loo block. The cake was good though. A few miles later we needed another break from the heat so spent an hour wandering around the gardens of the Sledmere estate. I now need to find out what plant looks like a 30’ tall rubarb
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:11 pm . We came across what may be the smallest cafe in the world at Fimber which was just a hatch in the adjacent loo block. The cake was good though.

That sounds like they could've been offered urinal cakes :YMSICK:

I'm glad you had a good spin out... :-bd
I now need to find out what plant looks like a 30’ tall rubarb
It dwarfs a Giant rhubarb at only 7ft then... :???:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..