Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

Re: Todays ride

Post by frogatthefarriers »

A nice ride on the Mawddach trail from Penmaenpool to Barmouth and back… but… I left my Osprey back-pack in the car park toilets. Bummer. :cry: Didn’t notice until this morning. Now I’ve got to spend a couple of hundred quid to replace it and the bits that were in it.

And no one to blame but myself…
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Just a local loop but finally over the collar bone and actually properly able to ride a MTB off road rather than sit on it and hope it gets down

Lakes next weekend for an actual proper ride for the first time in 16 months * and get some proper MTB fitness back rather than roadie fitness - the downs hurt the legs more than the climbs currently

* gravel and road has been an interesting side bar for the last 9 months and I hope to keep doing century rides but otherwise NO
I did try one in early summer but could not support my own weight when it got steep
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:52 pm Just a local loop but finally over the collar bone and actually properly able to ride a MTB off road rather than sit on it and hope it gets down

Lakes next weekend for an actual proper ride for the first time in 16 months * and get some proper MTB fitness back rather than roadie fitness - the downs hurt the legs more than the climbs currently

* gravel and road has been an interesting side bar for the last 9 months and I hope to keep doing century rides but otherwise NO
I did try one in early summer but could not support my own weight when it got steep
Well done Jon. Congrats.. Do you fancy a stroll around the Northpeaks100 to celebrate. I'll bring 85% pure choc
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Do you fancy a stroll around the Northpeaks100
Yes - did a peak ride the other week as a tester - might need to be October before i have time will PM you at the weekend when I know when i will be free - be warned i will ride an Alpkit bike just to annoy you :lol:
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:15 am
Do you fancy a stroll around the Northpeaks100
Yes - did a peak ride the other week as a tester - might need to be October before i have time will PM you at the weekend when I know when i will be free - be warned i will ride an Alpkit bike just to annoy you :lol:
I'll have my AK sleeping bag for the BB200 I think. So don't worry. I've finally managed to rehab myself :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In preparation for next weekend's BB300 I decided to wait until the rain started before heading out on a local loop. :lol: I can't actually remember the last time I rode in "proper" rain. The first half wasn't so bad then it turned a little nasty - now I know how clothes feel in a washing machine! The only difference in getting into the shower afterwards was the temperature of the water.

Thought I'd try a lightweight multi-layer wind/waterproof system but the wind drove water through the lot so might stick with the heavier MT500 jacket.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Had a few hours free so managed to sort out the garage enough that I could actually get my bike out. I was only out for a couple of hours exploring country roads to pick up some more veloviewer squares but it felt good to be out. I managed to cycle all around the outside of one square so I’m going to have to head back this way.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Went out for a couple of hours this morning. A beautiful autumnal day it was too. I parked up just outside Nantlle and had an enjoyable mooch around the old quarry.
Some pics:
Image20221016_093353 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_094638 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_101417 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_101818 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_101827 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_102221 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

1909 carved into the fireplace
Image20221016_102643 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_103934 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_104115 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_110116 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221016_110812 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Luckily it wasn't too chilly, so managed with no gloves
Image20221016_112607 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Fantastic pictures. :-bd
Your next restoration project , Stu? :smile:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Glad to see the Blondin is still standing. Someone really needs to get over there with a tin of anticorrosive paint. Maybe it's me.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:13 am Glad to see the Blondin is still standing. Someone really needs to get over there with a tin of anticorrosive paint. Maybe it's me.
For those who haven't seen it, and may be interested ... working days at Blondins Quarry 1970's
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep, superb article.

Oh, and Jeff, do remember that one can only visit and explore slate quarries on days when it's pissing down with rain. It's the law :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:58 am
RIP wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:13 am Glad to see the Blondin is still standing. Someone really needs to get over there with a tin of anticorrosive paint. Maybe it's me.
For those who haven't seen it, and may be interested ... Blondins : aerial ropeways
. In a working quarry inspector in the 1970s

Edit: correction: blondins are the ropeways ,pylons & cables,not the name firm or workings or location. :oops:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

RIP wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:48 am Yep, superb article.

Oh, and Jeff, do remember that one can only visit and explore slate quarries on days when it's pissing down with rain :smile: .
Totally get you, a bleak wet and windy day adds some atmosphere to a quarry. What a place though. I'll be heading back there in the coming weeks, that's for sure 👌

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

If you remember my Better Slate Than Never Tour, there's equally good stuff along the old Nantlle horse railway from Pen-yr-Orsedd incline bottom along past Dorothea Quarry to Talysarn. The ruined Plas Talysarn is utterly superb and you'd have a field day with your camera: https://www.welshruins.co.uk/photo3624315.html

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

RIP wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:02 pm If you remember my Better Slate Than Never Tour, there's equally good stuff along the old Nantlle horse railway from Pen-yr-Orsedd incline bottom along past Dorothea Quarry to Talysarn. The ruined Plas Talysarn is utterly superb and you'd have a field day with your camera: https://www.welshruins.co.uk/photo3624315.html
Yes Reg, remember it well. Considering the area is just under an hours drive for me I've got no excuses...

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Pop by and paint that blondin while you're there - tell you what, I'll pay for the paint if you apply it :smile: .

Boab

Post by Boab »

Yesterday's actually, and the first ride since the big crash at the end of August. The legs felt good, the back less so; weak and uncomfortable on rough tarmac. Though I was going to feel worse today than I do, so that's cheery...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

For this months HAM (hotel a month), me and the Mrs paid a visit to Whitby and what a fine place it is too.
I took the bike for an early morning ride on Saturday

Image20221022_083021-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221022_083357 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just the normal commute home, not usually worth posting but....

Saw someone coming the other way on the cycle path, all dressed in black and at first I thought they were riding a recumbent bike due to the height. They also had a dog with them.

When I passed them it was actually a lad sat on a pedal bin on an electric scooter, it had an iPad taped to the bars and he was watching a film as he went along, oh and he was smoking a joint.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that as he thought the best way to walk his dog was to fix a kitchen pedal bin to his scooter and tape an iPad to the bars that the joint he was smoking wasn't his first one today :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

After the last little commuter caper trying to get to work over the mountain, I'd lost a little confidence. So naturally for work today I wasn't gonna cycle there, but did go up and do a little ride taking in number 104 of the 'Another 100 Greatest Climbs'. The stats looked not too bad and I'd left almost enough time to get up there and back, then another sleep before work.

At first due to time pressures and the knocked confidence I almost called it off. But training for the Aafia Siddiqui Ride next month (240 miles to London Masjid from Dewsbury if boys might be interested*) meant I needed to get up and out. 21 miles to the climb and another 21 back, how hard could it be.

Early into the ride the weather started showering. Although I'd forgotten my gloves - though deep winter glovee were in my framebag for backup - I had my waterproof jacket. So, on it went and using google maps I was taken up a footpath. Thankfully the 'point and ride' feature on the Wahoo Bolt V2 came in handy. I was back on track and on the road, which meant I'd have less of a mucky back upon return. No mudguards unfortunately/fortunately.

It wasn't long before I was heading up 'that climb'. Finishing now, nope... some more and then again the same question... Nope, it just kept goinh up and up and up. Tiring work, which meant it was at least a good workout and the right choice. 600ft or so up and it ended, but instead of taking the obvious route back, I turned left. This made a potentially mile route into a 58 miler.

The first pic taken after the climb. Iy was rather wet by now and the view was special. But I was careful to not drown my phone.

For the next 10 miles or so I thought about missing the BB200 and what a shame that was. Also as to how I was gonna find somewhere dry enough to say my prayers. Especially since I was wearing my prayer mat and didn't fancy putting my face into wet mud. Not that I'd want to put my jacket down in it, but I would have as long as it was a bit dry and I wasn't risking catching a pneumonia.

Soke more epic pics or possibly Wales across the Severn and then it happened.

I rode past this beautifu prayer mat shelter which I'm happy (Thanks God) I spotted since it was recessed from the road. Turned round and climbed back up the road after my brain had managed to process the 'its perfect prayers shelter'.

Paeked my bike on the concrete and went into the bakery to see what business I ciuld offer them in return for the shelter. Cheese and Onion Pasty £7.50, gulp. All the oyher stuff just seemed pork based so I settled on a coffee. Don't think I can afford too many small meals at a tenner.

Whilst waiting for the coffee I noted they sold gingee beer in a bottle. That means it's the expensive stuff and I already have one for £3.50ish from Butherly Bwarp (how its pronounced) in the Lakes. Turned out this one was £2.50 but I wouldn't have minded even if it was £3. Didn't tell em that theirs was cheaper than the YHA version buy happy that I had another souvenir and I'd managed to give the locals a little business... As well as finding myself a prayers spot.

Harrods type Ginger Beer inset.

Wondered if the landowner knew someone had given his hill a 'Last of the Mohicans' hair-do!

Then last but not least, I tried to capture the rabbits (or were they hares) scuttling across my route. Obviously I didn't manage to get any pics and that's why this is a bit bare...

58 miles and 3000ft of climbing. Still feeling a bit knackered despite a tiny sleep afterwards. I'll take that as a 'training ride wel done'.

THE END (for now).

*Any girls that wish to organise their own thing for raising awareness of her case and abuses inflicted then do feel free.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Also as to how I was gonna find somewhere dry enough to say my prayers. Especially since I was wearing my prayer mat and didn't fancy putting my face into wet mud.
Why don't you have a foil blanket or bit of tyvek under the saddle to do the job?
redefined_cycles

riderdown wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:25 pm
Also as to how I was gonna find somewhere dry enough to say my prayers. Especially since I was wearing my prayer mat and didn't fancy putting my face into wet mud.
Why don't you have a foil blanket or bit of tyvek under the saddle to do the job?
Good suggestion... More to carry/think about. Usually when life is dry the floor/concrete/grass does the job just fine. Under the saddle is the saddlepack and carrying summat is just extra bulk... Main thing that stops me just doing my prayers on the footpath is either me being in the way or coming across some mean idiots (few and far between but they are about and do cross paths :grin: ).
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Went for my first ride post covid this morning. Jeez, them climbs were a bit tough! I think it'll take me a while to get back to were I was fitness wise :sad:
I knew I'd probably be a bit blur so went for a pedal in and around Clocaenog forest and what a fine morning it was too.
Some pics:
Image20221113_094715-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221113_103341 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221113_103322 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221113_105445 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221113_111125 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221113_111636 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube: